Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my 17 yr old boy on the ST1300A today. Another new rider who is a friend of the family was on #2daughter's NC700X. Went 311 miles. They were going 45 to 55 mph as it was all curvy back roads. 311 miles may not seem like much but it was 10 hours at that speed with a lunch break and a few short stops so I could walk about. Good to get two more young people started. They had both completed the Beginner's Riding Course which is enough for them to keep the bike upright. Had some Sena 20S which helped.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I agree wif ya Dok, my youngin' had spent the last 4 years with depression, very rarely left his 'Bat cave', when he became eligible for his learners permit last November I bought him a 2nd

hand VTR250 Honda, he did the Learner Rider 2 day course, got his 'L' plates and I ain't seen much of him since :idunno: He has covered 17000 k's in the last 8 months, little bugger gets

more time in the saddle than me :huh:.

Came out the back the other morning and here he is sittin' on me 'bird, "just trying it out for size dad" he said, :nono: :nono: :nono: :rant:walked away laughing he did :mad::rant:

muzz.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts

Came out the back the other morning and here he is sittin' on me 'bird, "just trying it out for size dad" he said, :nono: :nono: :nono: :rant:walked away laughing he did :mad::rant:

muzz.
Thats the boy Muzza, take him out to a bit of a secluded spot and let him hop on the bird, do you both the world of good :thumb:

·
Registered
820 Posts
ya could be right kev, it's the weight that I'm worried about, He's not small by any means but being used to the weight of the VTR he may be shocked at the big girl's size and I'd hate him to drop it, not from my perspective but from his if ya know what I mean, I'd hate myself forever buddy if that did happen and he regressed back to what it took years to get him out of. The time will come in the not too distant future where I'll def be putting him on it, but not just yet mate.

muzz.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When we got out of Wisconsin and we had 20 miles of highway I got on the NC700X put the son on the XX put Kade on the ST went down the road doing 70 MPH. Then gassed up and we all swapped bikes and went 6 miles to home over a straight road just to give them a taste for the different types of bikes.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Put my 17 yr old boy on the ST1300A today. Another new rider who is a friend of the family was on #2daughter's NC700X. Went 311 miles. They were going 45 to 55 mph as it was all curvy back roads. 311 miles may not seem like much but it was 10 hours at that speed with a lunch break and a few short stops so I could walk about. Good to get two more young people started. They had both completed the Beginner's Riding Course which is enough for them to keep the bike upright. Had some Sena 20S which helped.
When I mentor Learners or new riders, I usually stick to a maximum of 100 miles or 160 Kays for the day, It takes four hours or so, But they do get too tired if I take them further,
Well done, The stops need to be frequent so they wake up, Keeps them alert,

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah good advice. By the end of the day one of them said "My girl wants to still go out but I am bushed" (tired). We have to go about 60 miles to get to some curves then there are plenty.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Bike riding makes me the most tired. 90 minutes today made me yawn and it's probably the level of concentration required. I drove our van across France and Spain for about 4 to 6 hours a day for three weeks and it was much easier.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Every non rider I know thinks a day on the bike is easy--you just sit there and do nothing all day.

Between the mental focus needed, and physical energy it takes maneuvering the bike and your body on the bike, it's exhausting.
Totally agree, keeping the bike upright and balanced is a whole of body effort, it might not take "that" much effort at any particular time, but it is relentless as opposed to drifting off to sleep in a car seat. Add the increased concentration required to avoid ..... you know ..... death, and you end up with a tired body at the end of the day.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well last fall extended the longest day to 350 miles...will be taking it out west on a long trip this summer. That and the ST with Wyatt.
Don't have a Goldwing for the long haul anymore after high siding it, so this will be interesting to see how the body handles it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This summer went for a 6800 mile ride with Wyatt. He ended up riding the ST. Longest days were from San Francisco to Snohomish ,Washington. 829 miles in 15 hrs, 630 miles in 10 hrs 45 minutes, couple more 400 to 500 mile days too. Don't expect to go longer than that ever on the BB again. Really not that bad. I was surprised.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like some good riding. I rode an ST in CA. Nice bike.

You decked out the XX pretty well. I recommend the peg lowering blocks for comfort.
I'm not bad. Not sure if I will drag pegs a lot with them lowered.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like some good riding. I rode an ST in CA. Nice bike.

You decked out the XX pretty well. I recommend the peg lowering blocks for comfort.
Without the suspension upgrade it would have been somewhat miserable in some states that have cracks running across the road. With Jamie Daugherty's fork upgrade and rear shock it just absorbed the bumps and I didn't even think about them. That's at the neutral adjustments he specified to start at too!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya could be right kev, it's the weight that I'm worried about, He's not small by any means but being used to the weight of the VTR he may be shocked at the big girl's size and I'd hate him to drop it, not from my perspective but from his if ya know what I mean, I'd hate myself forever buddy if that did happen and he regressed back to what it took years to get him out of. The time will come in the not too distant future where I'll def be putting him on it, but not just yet mate.

muzz.
The weight is a factor. I have learned with my kids that they handle it just fine if I keep the gas tank less than 1/2 full.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Update:
Just got back from a 4080 mile 9 day trip. 1 day off the bike. Did two back to back 750 mile days coming home from Eastern Arizona. This amazes me. I'm a 57 year old who rides wings for the last 37 years and I bought the XX when I was 50 and put close to 30,000 miles on it. I'm 6'3" and have no desire to lower the pegs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts