Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
Would love something like that Dave, but the budget won't get anywhere near. Off to look at the gsx1250 I posted a link to above later today, so will see how that feels.

Cheers Woody, poor as I am now (I still can't believe I paid $37k Au for a m/c...... but since I have one in the garage, then I'm guilty...... ) at least I have experienced the latest tech..... and it is brilliant. It's not a poser bike, it's everything in one package and the rider aids (Radar CC, ABS, Auto suspension, TC) all work seamlessly now.

I've been in lots of :poop: weather more times in the last 2 months than in the last 5+ years...... and not once did I feel in danger while riding in atrocious conditions...... I thought it was my brilliance as a safe, highly experienced, yet quick rider..... but it's the bloody bike!. All that IMU controlled super smart stuff is really great to have...... along with a nice comfy seat and a good screen :LOL:.

Yet the BB still feels great to ride...... but I keep everything in perfect working order so it feels new... alas I am not so pristine, now with a metal hip and extra tubes stitched to my oil pump, so I need all the help I can get to make sure I never inspect the bitumen up close.......

The Suzuki Bandit was a long selling model, and a popular choice in the budget price/quality range. Getting a bit old now, but so are we all..... however there should be heaps of parts around for them as they were the poor mans BB back in the day. Stay away from ST1300's with ECU faults. Later model ST13's with the electric screens were ok as were later model FJR1300's.

(y) Good Luck

Registered
:ROFLMAO:........... time for one of these (pic)........... says the guy who used to have money............ :ROFLMAO:

Still got my BB tho........ they get along real good, no letting each others tyre's down overnight etc....... (other pic)... (y)
I wonder what their kids will look and perform like?:devilish:馃馃槵馃か

Registered
:ROFLMAO:......... maybe they'll spawn a Pikes Peak V4S so I won't have to spend any more money in a few years when my brain goes all soft and irrational again.....

Registered
@AussieDave,

I love your thinking鈥 buy the duke for all it's tech and port it all into your BB. Fabulous project, yes/ no? (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Rode 80 miles to go and see the gsx1250. Couldn't believe how physically small they are for the cc. The dealer was happy to adjust the seat to its highest position, gives an extra inch, and I just sat there on the centre stand while we had a natter. Got to say, it was very comfortable. Much more relaxed on the knees and hips. On the little test ride I went on, I found it quite rough and buzzy and the wind blast was horrible. Even though it is 11 years newer than my 'bird, it didn't feel it!

I would like to try another one that has clearly been more loved, as I could happily spend time on one and it is the sort of bike that would make me ride more. I will also look at a cbf1000 to see if they have been screwed together better than the suzuki.

Super Moderator
Gosh I'm coming to this thread late, the perfect bike for you (and where you live) is actually this ..... but I'm not selling.
Thinking slightly differently to others (and thinking Ergos) have you thought about a late TDM900 or Varadero 1000?
The Varadero would certainly fit well, in fact one is arriving at my garage later today and the rider is of similar dimensions to you, he can simply walk onto my DR whilst I have to stand on one peg to get on. :rolleyes:

Registered
Being 6'5", I imaging the windshield on most bikes being too low for you. Check this place out MadStad Motorcycle Windshields , had rave reviews on the bandit forum where many users were able to ride without earplugs, for a fully adjustable windshield.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
DR would be good for around here, not sure about the 320 mile trips to Norfolk though. Varadero has always been an option. Never had an issue with the adjustable mra screen on the bird, works a treat. The gsx had an mra, but I think the slimness of the bike and fairing were more of an issue.

For now I have re-fitted my straight bar kit to take all the angle out of the hips and my air hawk takes the bum pain away. Not much I can do for the knees though.

Super Moderator
I've got a set on the rear for my wife. It's a 30mm drop. The biggest issue would be getting the controls to line up.

Registered
:ROFLMAO:......... I took my BB (05FI) out for a spin on Sunday arvo...... it was so nice a day and I had been wanting to do a ride for ages. I couldn't believe how hard it was for me to ride it though....... but that was all down to me as I had removed the Ohlins springs and shockie and installed the stock (only 13k kms of use) suspension last year....... forks felt hard and I think the rear spring was set for two riders way back in 2003, so that was the likely cause of the unpleasant feel........ errrr, plus my lack of riding the BB since last Sept :LOL:.

So I felt like a total novice on a bike, struggling with the clutch take up zone and doing turns wide etc etc...... very awkward and stiff and I felt like my nose was over the front wheel (even with Helibars) - last time I rode it I had the Ohlins installed and the helibars made it feel like a touring bike, now I feel like I'm on a race rack with super fast steering........ all my fault for not keeping current with the BB (been riding the V4S MS which is like a Gold Wing compared to the BB)........:rolleyes:.

But, the BB was super smooth and very eager to go.

I'm not surprised @woodwizard found the 1250 Bandit so buzzy as they really were a budget build compared to the BB's superb quality (this is true, not just bragging, Honda went all out to build the best bike back in the day, unfortunately they were outsold by higher power Busa's and ZX1200's, but the BB is still one of the few top quality Japanese bikes ever made).

All you tall guys (6'5") should look to the Adventure tourer models...... they are all tall bikes (crossover between trail bikes and road bikes) compared to the older style low sport models which are too cramped for people with long legs......

Much tyre kicking is required to find a model that fits....... I know, I'm only an average 5'10" but squeezing onto my BB has become tighter than I remember :cry:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Top of the list is the honda varadero. I don't think the tiger will give me enough wind protection and at least the vara should be bolted together well. Just need one to pop up for sale local-ish so I can go have a look.

Registered
...I know, I'm only an average 5'10" but squeezing onto my BB has become tighter than I remember :cry:
+1 on that AD, 5'10" here too but for some reason my BB's "thin" tank pad is just taking up way too much room these days (albeit I'm no longer the 14st stripling I was when I bought her but now suddenly seem to be a 17陆st silverback 馃!).

21 - 34 of 34 Posts