Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....have decided to change the bird! Have owned it for 5 years and although I like it, I have never gelled with it. Looking for something with a bit more comfort. Two bikes on the shortlist so far are the GSX1250 fa and the older Tiger 955i. Anyone had experince of either. Not yet had a chance to sit on or try either yet, as nothing local-ish. The Tiger looks comfy and I actually like it's slightly ugly/quirky looks, but a newer Suzuki can be had for the same money and may be better for my regular 300 mile plus motorway trips.

·
Registered
856 Posts
What elements of comfort is your BB falling short of or is this truly just time for you two to part (change is as good as a rest)?

·
Registered
329 Posts
"One mans meat", you'll need to have a ride on both bikes to see what suit's you.
Rider height, weight, riding style, all come in to play.
I like my Blackbird. but have fitted higher bars, lower pegs, gellpad seat and better suspension,
all to make it into a bike I'm really comfortable with.

To get some comparisons you'd be better to check out the GSX and Tiger forums to see what the riders there
think about they're machines.

I've had a ZZR1400 for 4 years now, a big comfy bike(higher bars, lowered pegs and a gell seat), but if I'm
going for a run through the twisties with my mates, I take the Blackbird

·
Registered
949 Posts
I actually went the other way, GSX1250 to blackbird. The main reason I switched was comfort. For reference, I am 6' tall. The Suzuki has you sitting upright with all your weight on the seat and none on your wrists. This is great around town. You have a commanding view over traffic, great slow speed manoeuvrability and U turns on narrow streets feet up are a no sweat affair. However, after about 2 hours I would get saddle sore and my lower back would start to ache. I played around with different seats, lowered pegs and different handlebars. This helped some but not enough for me.
Mechanically, as you would expect from a budget Suzuki, she has bottom shelf suspenders and brakes, although the drive train is excellent. Easily as reliable and durable as the Honda and a torque monster Sadly, about as characterful as a toaster.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Over the 5 years I have done the jaws risers to jaws straight bar conversion, lower pegs etc and never quite found what works right for me or looks right. I think the biggest thing, is the fact that this has been the only bike I have owned that hasn't inspired me to go out for a ride just for the hell of it and as I want to be riding more, I need something that does that. I live out in the sticks and this just isn't the machine for bimbling around narrow lanes on, hence the thoughts of a tiger type machine, but it must still do my motorway blasts with ease.
Being 6'5" with an inside leg of 35/36" I am finding being scrunched up a pain.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Ok, you are 6'5". What about a Harley D type bike? Sitting low with feet forward. I used to ride with a friend who had a Harley Dyna, we would occasionally switch bikes. I found it very comfortable with loads of leg room. Best enjoyed at a more sedate pace.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Had a 2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250S for two years. Beautiful metallic red paint, Scorpion slip-on muffler, and a taller GIVI windshield. Great all around bike .Comfy with plenty of mid range torque, smooth engine, and , in my opinion, handsome looks. Cheap to buy and insure. I miss it.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,161 Posts
This bike may not be in the right price range but go ride a new wing. It can carve corners, flat 6 torque is great and also fun in the corners. Fine for bumbling down narrow roads or hammering down the hwy. Less money but the pre 2018 bikes are not bad either. Just had a New Mexico vfr rider get on a wi g and he couldn't believe how easy it was to corner on it. Just a thought! How about a BMW K1600 GT?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, well out of my budget XX. Just need to find a good bike dealer with lots of various models to jump around on.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,161 Posts
Totally understand about budget. Problem is that over in the States there is a bike shortage. I've gone in several dealers in several States and there have been little or no bikes in the place... including no used ones!
Another bike that is less expensive but can corner very well and still fits your parameters is the Honda ST1300. 2004 and up had an electronic adjustable windshield. Makes over 40 mpg (us). If you find one take it for a spin. They are shaft drive and will go well over 100,000 miles. I put the Horizon Helibars on mine so I sat up straight.
Keep us informed of your progress as it is always interesting to hear of people's thoughts and opinions on different bikes as they try them.
In a year I'll be looking for a decently priced African Twin.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had a 2016 Suzuki Bandit 1250S for two years. Beautiful metallic red paint, Scorpion slip-on muffler, and a taller GIVI windshield. Great all around bike .Comfy with plenty of mid range torque, smooth engine, and , in my opinion, handsome looks. Cheap to buy and insure. I miss it.
Did you have a bit more leg room on the 1250 than the 'bird? Cbf1000 might be worth a look also.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have always said that the Blackbird would be my last ever bike but as I get older I too have been thinking about a change ( they do say its as good as a rest after all ! ) Why dont you go along to a showroom and sit on lots of different bikes ? Then find something you like and go home and research all about it ?
The Yamaha FJR1300 seems to be a great all round bike that has heaps of praise, the Bandit too.
You may laugh but I have seriously been thinking about a Niken GT , you may point in another direction but I am yet to read or view a bad report on them, only aesthetics but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and its whats right for you.
A friend of mine now in his 70's and a life long biker has gone onto a Honda Forza 750 and loves it !

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I rode around Tasmania with 2 friends a couple of years back, one with an FJR1300 and the other with an ST1300. Had a ride on both and found them very comfortable. Shaft drive is nice. Adjustable windscreen nice. Unpretentious, capable bikes both. But not quite as smooth as the XX and I was always glad to get back on mine. And they were glad to get back on theirs, so there was no real outcome either way.

·
Registered
407 Posts
:ROFLMAO:........... time for one of these (pic)........... says the guy who used to have money............ :ROFLMAO:

Still got my BB tho........ they get along real good, no letting each others tyre's down overnight etc....... (other pic)... (y)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Would love something like that Dave, but the budget won't get anywhere near. Off to look at the gsx1250 I posted a link to above later today, so will see how that feels.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts