Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!
My 2003 Blackbird has some electrical issues since I bought it.
One of the PO mounted a security system before. But I think it make electrical things bad and he disassambled it. This is my opinion becouse I can see some modifications on harnes(both front and backside of the bike).
OK the issues begins with FI light and blowing main fuse but I solved it with changing main fuse cables and removing some bare wires from the PO alarm assembly.

By the time I ride it with minor issues, for example FI lights comes on over 270km/h. Stop and start the bike solve that issue most of the time.

Last two months, I didn't ride bike and let it sit in a garage. When I get it on, it runs without any issue but horn is gone!
There are 2 wires goes to horn: Green and Light Green. I can measure 12V on LGreen but no ground on Green wire.I make a jumper cable from the horn ground to bike chasis, it works!

I cleaned the 9pin connector and ride the bike for a minute then signals begin not to blink! The relay sounds not open/close correctly. I reconnect the connector and move/ bend frontside cables, signals are back but horn is gone again:mad:

I think that is a bad ground issue and I made those test:
  • Checked the horn switch continuity with Multimeter. It seems working.
  • Connect the horn direct to battery . I sounds no prb.
  • Checked and clean the 9pin connector (goes Left Handlebar Switch assy) also checked continiuty of green cable.

OK after those tests, I realize that Green wire continiuty(on 9pin connector) cuts if I turn the key on.? Is it normal thing?
And the most confusing is about fuse box. When I remove the fuse (turn,horn,pass together I think) It doesn't cut any of them.? Is it also normal?
And also the other fuses like headlight fuse, Although the fuse disassambled, It continiues to work! Only the dashboard fuse cuts the digital odometer. Wow. That is beyond my electrical knowledge! I think I need some new perspective about that...Any ideas will be appreciated.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator
8,640 Posts
Send a picture of your fuse box. You may be pulling the wrong fuses. All of the circuits in there use a red 10 amp fuse. The headlight should be all the way at the end and is 20 amp yellow fuse.

·
Registered
790 Posts
" FI lights comes on over 270km/h".................................! I am trying to imagine explaining that to a judge. No cameras on the interstate, but heavily patrolled around here.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
May be worth stripping, checking, clean and lubricate left hand switch unit- sounds possible there may be an issue in there

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
" FI lights comes on over 270km/h".................................! I am trying to imagine explaining that to a judge. No cameras on the interstate, but heavily patrolled around here.
How could I find that issue if I did not test it on the highway? Infact there is 80 km/h restrict for bikes even interstate roads but no radar control for bikes in my country.

SM-N910C cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,584 Posts
That would not be the light i would be concerned about at 270kms. It would be all the flashing ones from behind, in front and above. And mor concerning would be the guy in the next cell wanting to play mummies and daddies.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I do a lot of check, dissamble the front cone, check the front harness and all seems ok on front side. The connectors are cleaned again.
I tested the green wire which goes from lefthand bar to the main chasis with multimeter. I can't get continiuity from that cable and think that is has broken or something. But i feel not sure about it because I make another check if I had a voltage leak on that ground connection with a led control light and leds are dimmed a little. That makes me confused again..
I call my dad which is a retired mechanic for any advice. He told me that 'if you seek for a simple problem, think simple, those harness cables are hard to broken from the inside. Check the connector side. Always the connectors are the weakest parts and prone to loose or corrode.
Next morning I try to seek the trouble not front but the back side of the harness.
I move cables left side under the seat while pressing the horn button and voila!
The green test connector! of course it is the problem!!
I don't ever think that it need a loom fix before becouse my bike is 2003 and
I read that honda fixed some issues on later bikes.
Ok the next thing, for the records will be loom fix

·
Registered
790 Posts
Whatever the question, the loom fix is always the answer! Well, tderida, you will soon be able to ride off into the sunset at over 270km/h with no FI light showing. Happy days.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whatever the question, the loom fix is always the answer! Well, tderida, you will soon be able to ride off into the sunset at over 270km/h with no FI light showing. Happy days.
Thanks a lot.
I apreciate for all responds. Yes the loom fix is the magic
For 2003 I use a different approach. Discarding the plastic connector and use the pins and metal merger , clean with wire brush solder them together then seal them with hot silicone wrapping with electrical tape. Let's see if it gonna repeat again..

·
Registered
790 Posts
I guess it makes sense that the 2003 loom would be a little different than my 2000 (US) loom. On mine, the junction block was brown and contained 18 wires in 4 separate "circuits". Two "circuits" all green wires, two
"circuits" different colored wires. On your pic, seems they are all green. Looking closely at my junction block cover (with the pins), not all the pins are connected together creating the 4 circuits. Not sure why Honda would separate green wires, but in any case, I simply copied it and soldered up the 4 distinct circuits, to match exactly the junction block wiring.

·
Super Moderator
8,640 Posts
Put mine together the same way 5 years ago

Reactions: tderida
1 - 11 of 11 Posts