Honda CBR XX Forum banner

Weird electrical occurrence.

778 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Sikorsky 
#1 ·
So here’s something I’ve learned today. Something to file away in case you run into yourself.

Just headed off the highway to ride some hydro lines on my WR250R and heard a couple of weird clunks. The clunks turned out to be nothing but I ran into another issue while checking it out.

Each time I touched anything metal, I received a shock. Nothing huge, but like static electricity in winter. Not wanting to head 50 km into the backcountry while weird electrical issues are going on, I started checking. First I disconnected the wiring directly from the battery for any aftermarket bits. Nada. Then onto pulling fuses. Nada. Still a wee shock.

Turned around and went back to town, stopping at the Lordco (an auto parts store) for some nitrile gloves. The guy, whom I had talked with as I was headed out riding, asked why I was back so soon. When I told him, he thought about it for a bit and then said “Hydro towers!” and related a story about working under them and having static electricity issues.

I head out in the 4Runner, park in the same place and boom! Same issues! Gotta say I was pretty damn happy. No ringing out wires tonight. I picked up a dozen donuts and dropped them off to the shop, that was far easier than ripping the bike apart and trying to find a non-existent problem!

See less See more
#4 ·
Yep used to do the same on a my first Fire Control System. In the Navy ANSPS 48C 3D Air Search Radar
If we pulled the covers on the transmitter bays. You could lay a florescent bulb on the handles above the bay. Turn out the normal lights and it wouldn't make a difference. The bulbs on the handles would be lit like they were plugged in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.