Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’m looking at shedding some weight from my 2000 efi ‘bird and wondered what others have done. I’m aiming for a fast road setup / occasional track days. I’ve concentrated on I sprung weight but I’d like to save some everywhere if possible.
So far:
  • two brothers titanium exhaust cans
  • Nitron rear shock
  • lighter (but still alloy) rear wheel
  • alloy rear sprocket
  • galfer rear disc
  • carbon rear hugger
  • delinked brakes
  • removed centre stand
  • various titanium bolts (discs, axles, pinch bolts)
Any other suggestions?..

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
Oh don't get me started please :ROFLMAO:
I managed to get my supercharged Bird down to 200kg ..... but that took serious effort.
Wheels and exhausts are the easiest and biggest hits you can make then come the other items in your list.

When you start getting anal about weight saving you weigh different tyres, make titanium wheel spindles, cut out / re-route cables etc

Oh and of course since you will be lifting the rear of your bike you will need a longer and much lighter Titanium side stand.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I read an article on this some years ago and the one thing that bikers overlook in their quest to shed the pounds is their own weight !
The author of the article lost 2 stone ( one stone = 14ilbs ) and said the effect was amazing and the bike became far more stable.
Not saying that RichS is overweight by anymeans but for me personally I could do with shedding a few stone and FOR ME this would make a big difference I am sure.

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
but for me personally I could do with shedding a few stone and FOR ME this would make a big difference I am sure.
....but would you have to change your name to Smallmc then ?;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh don't get me started please :ROFLMAO:
I managed to get my supercharged Bird down to 200kg ..... but that took serious effort.
Wheels and exhausts are the easiest and biggest hits you can make then come the other items in your list.

When you start getting anal about weight saving you weigh different tyres, make titanium wheel spindles, cut out / re-route cables etc
View attachment 130187 View attachment 130188

Oh and of course since you will be lifting the rear of your bike you will need a longer and much lighter Titanium side stand.:ROFLMAO:
View attachment 130189
Wow those titanium parts 😬😝😍
You’re right though - where will it all end?!?!
I do fancy a titanium front spindle... especially if I can sort a lighter wheel somehow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read an article on this some years ago and the one thing that bikers overlook in their quest to shed the pounds is their own weight !
The author of the article lost 2 stone ( one stone = 14ilbs ) and said the effect was amazing and the bike became far more stable.
Not saying that RichS is overweight by anymeans but for me personally I could do with shedding a few stone and FOR ME this would make a big difference I am sure.
You’re spot on though - I’m also a cyclist and I’ve found shedding a few pounds myself is the biggest performance upgrade...
I did used to do a lot of trackdays on a ex-road race GSXR1000k4 and I really felt the difference when I was fitter. When I wasn’t in shape I’d often struggle to concentrate and keep up the same intensity for a full day, which is when the mistakes can creep in...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi all, I’m looking at shedding some weight from my 2000 efi ‘bird and wondered what others have done. I’m aiming for a fast road setup / occasional track days. I’ve concentrated on I sprung weight but I’d like to save some everywhere if possible.
So far:
  • two brothers titanium exhaust cans
  • Nitron rear shock
  • lighter (but still alloy) rear wheel
  • alloy rear sprocket
  • galfer rear disc
  • carbon rear hugger
  • delinked brakes
  • removed centre stand
  • various titanium bolts (discs, axles, pinch bolts)
Any other suggestions?..
lithium battery will save about 6lbs and roll it over faster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lithium battery will save about 6lbs and roll it over faster.
That is a good shout - I had one of those on my track bike - weighed about the same as a packet of fags... I do just wonder about cranking amps as it does spend time stood for a while. Do they need a fancy charger or something standard?..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Errrr yes and no....... Li batteries are a bit weird....... I don't have one, but was reading up on them thinking I might buy into them..... until I read of the risk of fire/explosion. This can happen when they are not stored correctly or become overcharged using either a Pb acid charger, or not 'equalizing' the cells prior to charging.

Have a read on line - one video I saw was from a tech guy who found at the time only the Shorai Li battery had the equalizing function built in - and their Li charger had a switch that drops the charge down to ?60%? from memory, for long term storage (like a Northern hemisphere winter riding off season)......... so there's no problem with Li batteries if you know what you are doing...... but just occasionally they can go boom if not maintained properly.

Maybe the cheaper brands have improved their designs by now ...... but they use a different charging algorithm to AGM Pb acid batteries and should not be stored or left for months in a fully charged state....... the on line video's explain it much better than my feeble attempt so ask Dr Google ;)

My drag racing mates found a lot of alloy can be milled out of stock wheels - or you could buy carbon fiber :eek: rims.

Reactions: RichS_11xx

·
Super Moderator
8,479 Posts
I've run a shoria for 5 yrs now. Buy there charger maintainer as well. Plugging it in once a year equalizes the cells. It also has a store function so you can just plug it and leave it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Getting rid of the linked brakes, steel hydraulic lines and PAIR system would save a little.
If you're super keen you could make a custom sub frame and ditch the steel one?
Carbon fibre seat base instead of the heavy plastic one?
Guess it depends how deep your pockets go. If it snowballs too far you'll be in 'superbike engineer' territory. 😉

·
Registered
14 Posts
Biggest weight saving is get rid of factory exhaust ,mufflers ,cat ,and fit full acropovic titanium with single muffler saves a heap of weight & will run better.
Next biggest save is wheels & brakes & stand as mentioned.
Blackbird is a sport touring cruiser not a light weight sports bike if your that way inclined get a lightweight bike to start with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts