·
Super Moderator
8,150 Posts
I'd rather hit a tree than high side a bike any day

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
You have never hit a tree then, I did once while skiing, I havent forgotten, I was in my early 30's at the time, Sudden stops will kill you quite dead, EG; Trees, Poles, Sign posts Etc Etc,
If you slide, You might get a few bruises, A bit of gravel rash, No big deal,

But two sudden stops in the last two years, One a broken shoulder, One a Broken collar bone,
10 kays faster, Thats 40 KPH, I would not be here with the broken shoulder, It would have killed me, with out doubt, Shattered bones would have gone thru me,

·
Super Moderator
8,150 Posts
Ohhhh I've hit my fair share of trees dirt bike riding. I'll still take it over a high side any day. Had a bike or 2 decide to use me as a cushion luckily 1 was in a field and the second was in the sand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Correct; I have a vague brief recollection of being pulled forward and down. If I had both hands on the bars I'd have had a better chance but my real failure was not recognizing the hazard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It's been mentioned that there is a vest that inflates available. I'll check it out for future reference.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's a tough break. Glad you came out of it in one piece - hope you're feeling fixed soon buddy.

And yep, that's sound advice. My one off, I was very glad to have proper gear on head to toe, and have no doubts that my lid saved my sorry arse from a mortuary... Twas only a cheapy, but did it's job. Even so, it didn't stop a gashed open lower jaw, smashed teeth and a broken nose (open visor, face into the car that took me out oncoming when they lost control). Just wish something had saved me from the impact with the fuel tank of my VFR800...!

Still, 2 1/2 years later, I'm still wearing the same Weise Jacket (took some grim pride in wearing it with my blood all down the front for a few weeks after I replaced my poor VFR!). Just ordered a new Spyke jacket to replace it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
lucky jou can tell the story.. hope you be ok soon and btw, there is nothing wrong with breaking traditions..(the crashing one in that matter):)

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,898 Posts
I high sided my Goldwing. It snapped sideways at 60 mph and started tilting in the direction of travel. In my mind I said. Here I go! Dumped off smoothly and skimmed down the road on my back... expecting the bike to chase me. I must have not slowed down much on all that water cause it never caught me!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,898 Posts
21 - 34 of 34 Posts