Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_1910 first responders.jpg View attachment 62053
Clear sunny Sunday afternoon on a virtually empty road. One hand on throttle holding 35 mph while riding in a casual position; eyes to the horizon. The light is green.

The front wheel hit the first few undulations in the semi ravaged asphalt as I crossed the intersection and I don't remember anything until I awoke wondering why I was on the ground. Then the pain crept in. Still disoriented I stood up just to see if I could. I looked around, made it to the sidewalk, sat down then curled up right there with my head on a parking block while I tried to breath. "I need help" groaned out pitifully through the painful spasms like notes from a bagpipe. Then I heard an angel; "An ambulance is coming" she said.

I can now tell you that the main benefit of being delivered to hospital by ambulance versus a package delivery truck is that the ambulance can run red lights. We made good time but that's a relative consideration when you feel like the flattened squirrel you passed a few miles back.

Now comes the triage. If I had had that much attention as a child I would have done better in life. Suffice it to say the trauma team was thorough enough that I can skip my next prostrate check. The MRI has something for everyone. Claustrophobia, High Voltage Radiation, Medieval Rack Comfort, and, best of all, A Visual Tour of Your Own Body! Useful though as the MRI confirmed for the professionals what they earlier dismissed as my layman's medical opinion: I had one or two fractured ribs.

The following two days are a slipstream of conscious misery, groggy misery, and opioid oblivion. Pharmaceutical pain management would have made me an addict (mellllloowwww) so I bucked up, worked some Jedi mind magic on myself, and tried not to move too much.

One of the great things about the medical system is that they don't treat you like some dainty frail thing. So much encouragement can be found in the phrase "You're being discharged" when heard after only two days of observation. I gathered my determination not to disappoint the staff and cajoled myself into a seated position on the bed, wrestled on the hospital schemata, and eased myself to a standing position for the first time since I walked to the sidewalk after the crash. I felt so empowered as I remained standing in a pool of my own drenching sweat while quaking in pain after dry heaving shortly afterwards. I will admit I felt a lick of pride when after the nurse brought back the attending a second time to confirm I was ready to leave; the Doctor looked me in the eye and said "You can continue to recover at home". I wept a little; my gun was elsewhere. The proverbial wheelchair ride to the curb too is all that in a Coach hand bag from a street corner vendor. Good bye 21st Century health care.

So eight days on I am back to work, ambulatory, and recounting my experience so you won't have to experience it yourself. Any rider who thinks the discomfort of wearing their gear every ****ing time they throw a leg over their bike is too much to deal with, too inconvenient, too unfashionable, or too whatever, should know from me that MY gear a) Saved My Life and b) Prevented Secondary Injuries. Your results may vary.

Pro log:

As to the cause of my "accident"; I blame myself. I didn't know this area well but for damn sure knew our local roads are abysmally, infamously in fact, bad. I knew intersections can be mine fields but the light was green and my eyes were towards the horizon...​

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dude...that windscreen must make *every* light look green!!

Seriously though, bummed for you, but glad you're now ambulatory. And thanks for the super funny writeup! Glad you are alive to share it with us, and hope you recover well and quickly in all ways.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wow, glad your OK, but went to look at your name to respond and wondered if a pun? I had a soccer injury with a "bruised rib" and was a baby about it!:crap: Did you have an armored jacket on?
If this was your intro it was brutal. Welcome and look forward to some possitive bird tales. Black 98's ROCK!:thumb:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Glad the injuries weren't worse and that you're recovering! In addition to riding ATGATT, maybe keep both hands on the bars from now on?

I see so many riders showing off their "look, ma, no hands!" riding technique, and all I say to myself is, "one rock, pothole, or uneven spot in the road surface, and you're going down like a ton of bricks."

·
Registered
133 Posts
I always have a very quality helmet, my classic Paris to Dakar jacket,deer skin gloves, good boots, but on short rides I don't put on leather
pants. I have a vey good set. I also have Kev jeans but don't bother if on short rides. Yeah ATGATT I know, but many times I'm lazy.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Sorry for your off but great that you are back on your feet. Hows the Bird - looks ok on the LHS in photo, so I assume it dropped on its right?

·
Registered
534 Posts
When I went down I was wearing full gear and the slide at 50mph or so wasn't bad. The bad part was coming to stop with my leg versus and road sign; I lost that match with a broken leg and busted up knee.

So yeah, wearing gear works up to a point. I guess broken bones are better than being ground down to nothing.

·
Super Moderator
8,150 Posts
Yep bones mend road rash doesn't

·
Registered
6,964 Posts

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Get well

Reactions: jroadrash

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, glad your OK, but went to look at your name to respond and wondered if a pun? I had a soccer injury with a "bruised rib" and was a baby about it!:crap: Did you have an armored jacket on?
If this was your intro it was brutal. Welcome and look forward to some positive bird tales. Black 98's ROCK!:thumb:
I chose the name because I keep crashing. This is number five over some twenty-five years of riding. I was wearing an older Joe Rocket Atomic ballistic nylon jacket, hard knuckle Fullmer gloves, Sidi racing boots, jeans, and a Shoei RF-1200 helmet. I believe I protected the tank with my ribs during the crash because it doesn't have a mark on it and I have two fractured ribs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for your off but great that you are back on your feet. Hows the Bird - looks ok on the LHS in photo, so I assume it dropped on its right?
Yeah, cosmetic damage on the right side. I'll have pictures sooner or later. I had just installed frame sliders so, while the scars extend from the mirror pod to the tail, between the protection of the slider and my body the damage isn't so bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad the injuries weren't worse and that you're recovering! In addition to riding ATGATT, maybe keep both hands on the bars from now on?

I see so many riders showing off their "look, ma, no hands!" riding technique, and all I say to myself is, "one rock, pothole, or uneven spot in the road surface, and you're going down like a ton of bricks."
Well, yeah, that and a steering stabilizer. (Which will be my next add on). It is worth repeating that a rider must be vigilant for all manor of hazard on the road. As you said pot holes, rocks, uneven pavement along with debris, inattentive drivers, and wildlife can ruin your day mighty quick. Take care.

·
Super Moderator
8,150 Posts
Were the sliders high mount on the frame. Would be curious to see how the frame fared of they are.
Glad you were able to walk away from it

·
Registered
166 Posts
Seems as though you don't remember a tank slapper or even losing the front end, correct? Do you feel if you had both hands on the bars it may not have happened? I ask that because I frequently ride my XX the same way to straighten up and get some back relief.

·
Registered
269 Posts
my most painful off hurt my ribs too, i high-sided at low speed after leaving a driveway on cold tires a with a bit too much throttle. as the bike went sideways, i tried to hang on and made things worse...

there doesn't seem to be any protection for this tender part of our anatomies built into any jackets. i landed pretty hard on my side.

glad the bike's ok...

ha ha! c'mon, this is a blackbird forum!

seriously, glad you're on the mend and sharing your experience.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts