Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform! We’ve worked hard over the last several months with a leading design and product firm to deliver a cleaner, faster and more engaging experience for you. Our goal is to provide modern design and technology to make the site run faster, smoother and more reliably. All of the valuable content within the community is still here, even though the layout may look different.

A Consistent Experience Across All Devices
The site is optimized for all screen sizes, including mobile. All features are available and ready to use on all devices.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Your home page now features the most active forums, trending discussions, featured showcases, and top contributing members. This will help keep you up to date on what’s happening in your community and eventually become a very personalized experience for our members with all the great content you love surfaced effortlessly for you.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, that will help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Easy to Use and Navigate
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

You can also navigate by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Clicking on your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations – Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase – Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
These are just a few of the great new functions and features to try on the site. Take a tour and look around! If you have any questions, please check out the HELP section for some quick FAQs about the new platform - Help Section

Please let us know what you think about the new experience. Your feedback is important to us.

Thank you all for your support during this amazing journey!

·
Administrator
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help.

I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen, and that I sounded just like a cricket (I was born with the hiccups.) so yes, I have been Cricket for 58 years now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas. I spend most of my time off out in nature and exploring the back roads. During late autumn when it starts to finally cool down, I disappear from the world for a bit for camping trips and hiking.

Please don't be afraid to explore and test out things to see how they work on the site.

Although you can certainly use the "insert image" icon to upload an image to your post, you can also just drag and drop it to the text editor or even copy/paste it into there!

You can easily share videos just by adding the URL directly into the text editor!

Gif links from sites like giphy.com will display automatically just by adding the gif URL directly in the text editor. Try it!
I am also a huge fan of the dark mode for the community. What is your favorite feature?

We will be seeing weekly updates (approximately) to the site which are largely based on community feedback so we absolutely want to hear your feedback!

I have worked with VerticalScope for 5 years but I have worked with forum communities for closer to two decades. I won't always know the answers to your questions, but I can find someone who does, as needed. ;)

- Cricket

·
Registered
249 Posts
Good job. I like this new forum it easy to use and I like the new look. The advertising is a pain

·
Administrator
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good job. I like this new forum it easy to use and I like the new look. The advertising is a pain
I wanted to take a moment to assure you that we are listening to all the feedback

That being said, this site is supported by ads. As you already know, that’s how we keep the lights on around here. As it turns out, servers, bandwidth, security, and maintenance aren’t free. ;)

We are working with our development teams to also introduce a new premium membership for purchase in the coming weeks that will allow members to view the site ad-free.

- Cricket

·
Registered
537 Posts
Short version, don't like it, very bland looking and not very easy on the eyes. Please bring back the old one would be my 2cents.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I know change is hard to get used to,but this was always in the making after you guys took over a whole host of internet forums. I for one cant stand the mantle "profit before anything" This was a community forum for riders of the Honda CBR 1100XX Suoer Blackbird, now it will be just another North American money grabbing venture.
I use cookie cleaning software and to have to fill in my preferences every time is an absolute chore, and now the "pay to remove ads chestnut is coming" If it ain't broken dont fix it and certainly dont buy up useful community forums for profit !

·
Administrator
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Short version, don't like it, very bland looking and not very easy on the eyes. Please bring back the old one would be my 2cents.
I know change is hard to get used to,but this was always in the making after you guys took over a whole host of internet forums. I for one cant stand the mantle "profit before anything" This was a community forum for riders of the Honda CBR 1100XX Suoer Blackbird, now it will be just another North American money grabbing venture.
I use cookie cleaning software and to have to fill in my preferences every time is an absolute chore, and now the "pay to remove ads chestnut is coming" If it ain't broken dont fix it and certainly dont buy up useful community forums for profit !
Bringing back the old platform is not an option.

This was a change that had been needed for some time now.

We understand that there are some inherent changes in moving from vBulletin to Xenforo. However, vBulletin’s infrastructure does not provide the flexibility to be able to provide additional improvements. Continuing on that platform without the ability to maintain a better experience for all of you is just not an option moving forward. We know you expect and deserve continuous improvements over time.

In the past, we have upgraded more slowly. Unfortunately, this became technically difficult and often times would break other features when updates were attempted. Making the bigger investment now in the new platform sets us up to respond faster to your feedback moving forward.

Your security and data are extremely important to us. Modern software and upgrading systems are critical to keep us advanced in providing a better and more secure experience for you to share content. Not updating the software would have made that increasingly difficult over time as other technology advances.

We will be seeing weekly updates (approximately) that are largely fueled by community feedback. While that doesn't mean we can action every request, it does mean we are actively listening to the feedback and sharing it with the developers. :)

- Cricket

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
It's a nice look. Shame there has to be a premium to get rid of the add's. You just had to be a registered member before to not have them. How do we access our picture library or were those all lost when the change was made. Getting the updates notice is nice to have back. Seting up the new section was a little tricky at first so I could see new posts and help out others but it looks like I have it now. Also just noticed the private messages are also gone are those coming back as well or are they gone like the pictures we had for different posts.

·
Administrator
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a nice look. Shame there has to be a premium to get rid of the add's. You just had to be a registered member before to not have them. How do we access our picture library or were those all lost when the change was made. Getting the updates notice is nice to have back. Seting up the new section was a little tricky at first so I could see new posts and help out others but it looks like I have it now. Also just noticed the private messages are also gone are those coming back as well or are they gone like the pictures we had for different posts.
Are you referring to the images in your gallery?

Click on the 3 dots near the upper right-hand corner and select Gallery. On that page, you can also click to view your albums.

You can also find them on your profile.

Conversations – Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation.

How To Find Conversations (Private Messages)

From the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “conversations”.

- Cricket

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wasn't keen to start with, it's probably an age thing and I don't like change. I've changed to"dark mode"and it's better.
I read posts almost every day so I expect I'll used to navigating around.
Good work and thanks to the lads that take the time and effort to run and maintain the forum.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Excellent upgrade...... I'm familiar with it as the KTM forum uses the same format. Dark mode is my preferred look as well.

It's very handy to be able to read some of a post before clicking on to it to join in.........

(y)

Reactions: Admin

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Cricket. Well done to you and all involved. All looks very good to me. (y)
My Mobile phone (iPhone) freaked out at first. I think it had previously been using the 'Mobile Friendly' settings of the old forum, but closing the page tab, clearing the browser history & settings and reopen and log in, all was good. It actually seems easier on the mobile now than before.
As stated above, change sometimes throws you for a little while but after about half an hour trying out everything, its all good.

I tried the Light Mode for a couple of days, have now switched to Dark mode, and think I'm preferring this.
I also found I had been awarded 'Trophies!' in my alerts page. Not sure if this is a new thing or just that they're my first.

Good job guys.

·
Administrator
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts

This is a great option for those times when you want to save a thread to come back to later. At the bottom of the post, you will see “save”. Click on it.

Once you click on it you can add any notes to remind yourself and then simply click to save.

When you are ready to find the saved bookmarks again later, from the navigation, near the upper right-hand corner, click on your avatar to open the drop-down menu and select “bookmarks”.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
We're all going to take time to get used to the change, but hopefully the efforts of those involved behind-the-scenes will pay off, and get appreciated.

I don't have a strong view either way re premium subscriptions, but would happily pay for this site to remain well-funded and operational. It's been an absolute lifeline over more than a decade.

A quick query - previously, while looking at the list of threads, it was apparent which ones a member had participated in? What indicates that now?

·
Administrator
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A quick query - previously, while looking at the list of threads, it was apparent which ones a member had participated in? What indicates that now?
Depending on your preference settings, this can be accomplished.

Step One: Check your preference settings by clicking on your account settings under your avatar near the upper right hand side of the community.

That will bring you to a new page with some left-side navigation. Select preferences.

Step 2: Make sure you have a checkmark in "Automatically watch content you interact with" and then click save.

Step 3: Now when you check popular or new posts you will see an "eye" under the title area.

It will also show on the thread list within a forum section.

Try it and let me know if it works for you.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Depending on your preference settings, this can be accomplished.

Step One: Check your preference settings by clicking on your account settings under your avatar near the upper right hand side of the community.

That will bring you to a new page with some left-side navigation. Select preferences.

Step 2: Make sure you have a checkmark in "Automatically watch content you interact with" and then click save.

Step 3: Now when you check popular or new posts you will see an "eye" under the title area.

It will also show on the thread list within a forum section.

Try it and let me know if it works for you.

- Cricket
So the thing is - those preferences were enabled for me, and it's showing me that 'eye' for threads where I have not posted anything. The little green tick that I was referring to was specifically for threads in which I had posted a comment / reply etc. That feels more relevant than having a flag for threads I've seen but not actually found reason to participate .

·
Administrator
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Make sure you are not looking at the second eye that is for views.

You can also use "following" to find thread you started and replied to.

You can also click your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select following.

On the following page, click on My Discussions.

- Cricket

1 - 20 of 28 Posts