Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other weekend I went down to Phillip Island here in Victoria to watch the Classic bikes. What a day!! Anyhoo, on the way down I had my phone plugged into my combo voltmeter/usb setup and the voltage dropped its readout after about 20k down to 13.3 or so. Up and down though, 14.2 then down to 13 or so. Then phone normally drags only .2V out of it and in a steady steady fashion.
On the way home, I left the phone out of it, and thought all was good, but then after about 20k or so, down she went again. and drifted.
I have already replaced stator about 20k ago. When it failed it dropped voltage down and down, no drifting.
I have never replaced reg/rec, but what I understand their faulting often results in over voltage.
The battery is approx 3 yrs old.
I'm thinking this could be battery going through a few failing moments before inevitable depth.
Any thoughts?

Since then it's been at the suspension guy doing an overhaul for me of forks and shock, so can't tell whats happening now.
cheers
pete

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,761 Posts
My cheap ebay one would drop voltage when it would get hot. More resistance. I got my good voltmeter and performed ohm checks on my stator and then clipped the leads to the battery and put the seat on and went down the road. Everything was fine. So I second not trusting the one meter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I had something similar happening last year. I suspected the voltmeter too ($2 off ebay) but turned out that wasn't it - I ended up hard wiring the regulator to the battery (rather than through the loom) and the problem went away immediately. I'm guessing there was some type of resistance appearing in the loom - it is 22 years old after all. That's 154 in dog years. Don't forget to put a 30 amp fuse in the +ve wire if you do this...

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Interesting. I can't remember where i bought the voltmeter when i built the unit in 2014. Either jaycar or ebay. Might hard wire my multimeter for a test. https://www.cbrxx.com/members/15988-albums937-picture45856.html
I did find myself wondering if it was the reg rec starting to go but they go high voltage don't they?
And the thought of stator showing early breaking down signs as it heated up crossed my mind.
Just goes to show there are two important things to have for these old girls. Handlebars and voltmeters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts