Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've done extensive research on the forum and am undecided how to proceed. 1999 w/39K miles. I heard a lot about the rectifier/stator issues so last year I changed the battery and rectifier as a preventative measure. No issues through the summer but I continue to see voltage jump all around even at constant rpm's. Varies from about 13 to 15 while I'm driving and for the first time ever I saw it momentarily hit 16 twice this summer. I thought a new rectifier would have resolved the voltage instability but apparently not. No other issues with the bike whatsoever. Wondering if I need to now change out the stator also or is the voltage variability 13-16 normal ??? If a change is required, I'm thinking to find a good quality kit with a stator and rectifier and do them both. Is there a recommendation for a kit in the US ? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
With the proper equipment, you should expect a steady 14.5V. Nothing over that ever.
16V, do not ride, as electrical component damage will occur.
Go here and purchase the "FH020AA superkit"
.Home (roadstercycle.com)
Your stator may well be OK. Can be tested.
Unplug and run bike. Check output voltage all 3 ways, should be about 60VAC.(edit, at 5000rpm)
Load test, same as above but with 120V 60W incandescent bulb. Should burn brightly at 5000rpm all 3 ways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the proper equipment, you should expect a steady 14.5V. Nothing over that ever.
16V, do not ride, as electrical component damage will occur.
Go here and purchase the "FH020AA superkit"
.Home (roadstercycle.com)
Your stator may well be OK. Can be tested.
Unplug and run bike. Check output voltage all 3 ways, should be about 60VAC.(edit, at 5000rpm)
Load test, same as above but with 120V 60W incandescent bulb. Should burn brightly at 5000rpm all 3 ways.
Thank you fizzy - will follow your guidance !

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Very unlikely to be a stator issue driving high voltage - that's almost always a reg/rec issue.

BUT

First thing I would do is confirm that its not a problem with the voltmeter by proving it with a second voltmeter. Cheap voltmeters can fail and show weird readings.
Next thing I would do before forking out for a new reg/rec is to hardwire the existing reg/rec to the battery - ie 2 x fat wires from rectifier output to battery terminals, with a 30 amp fuse on the positive side. This will remove any chance its a LOOM issue.

Then, if you are still seeing voltage spikes, its time for the FH020AA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very unlikely to be a stator issue driving high voltage - that's almost always a reg/rec issue.

BUT

First thing I would do is confirm that its not a problem with the voltmeter by proving it with a second voltmeter. Cheap voltmeters can fail and show weird readings.
Next thing I would do before forking out for a new reg/rec is to hardwire the existing reg/rec to the battery - ie 2 x fat wires from rectifier output to battery terminals, with a 30 amp fuse on the positive side. This will remove any chance its a LOOM issue.

Then, if you are still seeing voltage spikes, its time for the FH020AA.
Hey thanks leighb - I will do that. Is there an instruction anywhere for the direct wiring ? Also, is there a recommended reg/rec - perhaps I'll order another one just to be sure I didn't get a bad one ?

·
Administrator
9,704 Posts
KC
If you ordered from Jack I'm pretty sure he'll refund, return.
If you didn't then you most likely got a fake.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hey thanks leighb - I will do that. Is there an instruction anywhere for the direct wiring ? Also, is there a recommended reg/rec - perhaps I'll order another one just to be sure I didn't get a bad one ?
The recommended one is the FH020AA as I stated above (IMO). A click on the link will take you to a site to buy one. Please read thru this site. Lots of info including a diagram to wire unit direct to battery. FYI: I have no affiliation with roadstercycle, am merely a satisfied customer.

What do you mean, get a bad one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The recommended one is the FH020AA as I stated above (IMO). A click on the link will take you to a site to buy one. Please read thru this site. Lots of info including a diagram to wire unit direct to battery. FYI: I have no affiliation with roadstercycle, am merely a satisfied customer.

What do you mean, get a bad one?
Thanks. Well I did install a new R/R about a year ago when first started seeing the voltage jump around - by the way, I have an acumen gear indicator/volt meeting combo - about a year earlier the gear indicator portion failed (started displaying erratically) and I assumed it had just gone bad so I kept it on the dash to use for voltage monitoring. Now wondering it the gear indicator going out is related to the voltage jumping around....Anyway, a year after that I replaced the R/R as a preventative measure, but I can't recall where I bought it from - was not cheap ebay version - was from a US company - it made no difference to the voltage jumping around. I rode the bike all this summer with the voltage fluctuations but it's really bothering me. This is why I say maybe I got a bad R/R from wherever I ordered it from. Really appreciate all the advise. Would really like to exhaust all options before replacing stator - especially if it's not necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. Well I did install a new R/R about a year ago when first started seeing the voltage jump around - by the way, I have an acumen gear indicator/volt meeting combo - about a year earlier the gear indicator portion failed (started displaying erratically) and I assumed it had just gone bad so I kept it on the dash to use for voltage monitoring. Now wondering it the gear indicator going out is related to the voltage jumping around....Anyway, a year after that I replaced the R/R as a preventative measure, but I can't recall where I bought it from - was not cheap ebay version - was from a US company - it made no difference to the voltage jumping around. I rode the bike all this summer with the voltage fluctuations but it's really bothering me. This is why I say maybe I got a bad R/R from wherever I ordered it from. Really appreciate all the advise. Would really like to exhaust all options before replacing stator - especially if it's not necessary.
One last thing...Can I direct wire in a FH020AA without touching the stator, or are mods required for that also ? Thank you !

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Yes. No need to touch stator.

I'd really double check that volt meter. Maybe you have no problem at all other than a bad meter. Hook up a multimeter to the battery with crocodile clips, cable tie the multimeter to your handlebars and go for a ride. See if that shows the same fluctuations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts