Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I wonder if the cam chain really did need replacement. That bike hasn't done much distance at 25,000 miles, and the experience of people on this site seems to indicate that cam chains will last 100,000 miles. The thing that does seem to fail regularly is the cam chain tensioner. I would have replaced that first ...

·
Super Moderator
8,157 Posts
Heads up to most. When the CCT is going south it will make a distinct clatter at 3 to 4K. If you suspect your CCT then warm the bike up and gently bring it to 3000 rpm and listen. If the CCT is going bad it'll rattle. Trust me you'll know if it is. My BB has 192,000 miles on original chain and sprockets and it's working like a charm. SO before you go change the chain and sprockets do this test.

·
Super Moderator
12,598 Posts
I wonder if the cam chain really did need replacement. That bike hasn't done much distance at 25,000 miles, and the experience of people on this site seems to indicate that cam chains will last 100,000 miles. ...
That is certainly my experience. I've read workshop manuals (Kwak, Yam and big singles) that say replace the cam chain at @25K miles (remember doing it on a GPz750) if that is really necessary on 4's they must be using really poor quality chains!

When I replaced the cam chain on my Bird (at just under 100K miles) I couldn't measure any stretch. I replaced the chain on a 'preventative' basis but when I inspected the original I knew I really didn't need to replace it. That said replacing the cam chain on the Bird is easy if you are re-shimming the valves, only adds half an hour to the job.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think the mechanic is just covering his backside with this one, we all know its probably just the tensioner but he wants to be sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts