Honda CBR XX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Seems simple. The rotors are larger inner diameter because they are not for a carbureted (97-98) model. They are for the later model fuel injected blackbird. You need the early model ones, my guess if you had pulled the wheel on your other 97 the rotors would have fit.

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
Was thinking the same Ixx

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hmmm. Well I tried both rotors available from Dennis Kirk. I have 1997 1100xx entered into the selection. It said they both fit. Neither did, first one was way huge, and second was alot closer but still no cigar.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Going off memory here, Galfer never made rotors for the carbed models.

The only rotors Dennis Kirk lists are Galfer fronts and an EBC rear. If you got two types of rotors, DF067 and MD1006, the first would be too large and the second would be way too large to fit on a carb spec CBR1100XX front wheel, because the DF067 is for an injected front wheel, and the MD1006 is for the rear wheel.

A carb spec (97 and 98 in North America, with OEM black carriers) front wheel will carry a brake disk with an inner diameter of 58mm, and the opposing mounting bolt holes will have a center to center distance of 74mm.

A fuel injected spec (1999 and later in North America, with gold-ish carriers) front wheel will carry a brake disk with an inner diameter of 62mm, and the opposing mounting bolt holes will have a center to center distance of 78mm.

They will both have the same outer rotor diameter. The distances I quote were measured on the bikes with a plastic Harbor Fright caliper while I was bent over at the waist entertaining the roar of a tree grade wood chipper 30 feet away, so I suppose they could be off by as much as a millimeter. My information is meant only as a guide.

A

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Ok, sending them back to Dennis kirk. Technical support argued that it should fit, and shouldn't matter fuel injection or carb. I explained it to him about hub sizes and different axle. He reluctantly pulled one to measure and it was 62mm. He looked at ebc rotors, and they specifically show 97-98 rotors as different than 99 and up so then he believed me. He found me ebc part number MD1120X. I think thats what I'm going to go with. I've also found a MD1120XC that I believe is the same but has the wave in it. Both show 97-98.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Fizzy, I never got around to swapping wheels. Just don't quite have the time for that at the moment. Its going to be time to change oil and put away pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Did you measure your wheels? It would seem most probable they are replacements for the original wheels, but it's not unthinkable that they don't have the same specs and have been adapted to the bike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)

Finally got my new EBC Md1120xc rotors and double sintered pads installed. I plan on bedding them in this weekend. I will have a review on these once that is complete. On the short 20 mile ride home from my honda shop the brakes were glass smooth. They also look good!!

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
Great to hear ride safe. So must have been warped rotors? Thinking the mount design may aggravate this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks everone! Pulsation was warped rotors. I guess I will find out long term if its the brake setup causing them to warp but for now seems solid. Just gonna cross my fingers Hoping it was due to having inferior metal properties with being Chinese rotors. I would still be interested in having a new bracket machined for the right side that keeps the caliper fixed to the fork. Left side seems better since it connects at the very bottom. If the caliper set up is the problem then stock setup will be going back. Probably should have the used ones I got with the bike cleaned up, resealed and ready to go.

Lol I pretrip my motorcycle every ride and wheel lock is first thing checked for. Simsons is classic. I don't blame homer for doing what he's gotta do to get out of NY.

·
Super Moderator
12,834 Posts
I would still be interested in having a new bracket machined for the right side that keeps the caliper fixed to the fork. Left side seems better since it connects at the very bottom. If the caliper set up is the problem then stock setup will be going back
Putting my old stress engineers* hat on I don't see the brackets to be a problem. The load is carried through the 2 caliper mounting bolts and into the fork tube with probably the upper bolt seeing compressive shear and the lower tensional shear (can't be certain from the photos) anyway enough nerd stuff ....

What I don't see is any form of lateral movement across the bike, everything appears to be fixed (I may be wrong but I can't see any). The calipers are firmly fixed and the discs (via the bobbins) are as well.
So what happens if the pistons do not all actuate at the same time and the pads therefore do not make contact at exactly the same time? What happens if the disc is not perfectly centred between the pads? My suspicion is that 'bending' will be introduced to the disc which is a sure way to introduce wear.

It is no coincidence that when I changed the front end on one of my Birds that I also added fully floating discs.

* Working out strength of structures, load paths etc.

·
Registered
873 Posts
What I don't see is any form of lateral movement across the bike, everything appears to be fixed (I may be wrong but I can't see any). The calipers are firmly fixed and the discs (via the bobbins) are as well.
So what happens if the pistons do not all actuate at the same time and the pads therefore do not make contact at exactly the same time? What happens if the disc is not perfectly centred between the pads? My suspicion is that 'bending' will be introduced to the disc which is a sure way to introduce wear.
Would a way to check this be to see if the brake pads wear evenly? I agree that there is no apparent way for the system to self align other than through the pads themselves.
If as dirtybird97 says, the new discs fix it, then can we can say cheap Chinese discs on a fast bike are to be avoided at all costs.?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Thats what I'm thinking. Hey TheDuck I'll take any more "nerd information" you may have. I'm actually going to meet up with my cousin, and his friend that are also both engineers to have them take a peek at it. Anything to spark different thoughts for them. Yes, if they hold up then it may be a testament for the rotors.

·
Super Moderator
12,834 Posts
I'll take any more "nerd information" you may have.
Not really much more I can say. The set up you have relies on the location points being rigid and perfectly aligned. If the bike was in my garage I would check

1. that the mating of the bracket and the bosses on the fork was very good i.e. square and rigid

2. that the distance between the disc (that you know to be true) and the caliper was equal top to bottom i.e. the bracket is not sitting the caliper slightly off true. There might me a slight difference between the front and back measurements but that will be down to the wheel spacers.

If all is true and rigid and all the pistons have the same stiction you should be good to go. Do a small amount of mileage and the check the pads for wear. It is normal for the leading edge to show a bit more initial wear but anything else suggests something is not right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
View attachment 130434 View attachment 130435

Finally got my new EBC Md1120xc rotors and double sintered pads installed. I plan on bedding them in this weekend. I will have a review on these once that is complete. On the short 20 mile ride home from my honda shop the brakes were glass smooth. They also look good!!
Hi, We would love to hear your feedback about our products, fancy dropping us an Email to let us know your thoughts please? EBC Brakes

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Sure, with spring being right around the corner I will be able get a better idea about them. I can then send you an email regarding your products. Thank you.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts