Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon BB fountain of knowledge!

Strange issue arose recently. Start the bike (99FI) from cold, revs climb to about 2k (Scotland so it's cold), revs drop briefly after warm up. They stay about 1500 for about 1-2 mins then slowly start to climb up to 4k! Another couple mins at this rediculous rev range and comes down to normal idle of just over 1k.

Now if it was the wax unit at fault then it wouldn't warm up, lower revs then increase again to then go back to normal?

Long overdue a coolant change but surely it can't be that simple?

Any help appreciated folks.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you're overdue a coolant change, when you get around to it, I would absolutely pull apart the wax unit housing and give it a good clean out.
You'll probably find there is a build up of crap inside it that is interfering with the flow of coolant.
This may be what is causing you're fluctuations.
Mine had a heap of crap built up that was significantly blocking flow, resulting in a constantly high idle. Once cleaned out everything returned to normal.
You may find yours has only mild blockage resulting in normal operation as it is free flowing, then higher idle as the blockage moves restricting the flow of coolant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks skaircro, some good tips there! I'll be sure to give it a good clean and see how I get on. Prob over Xmas break but will report back. Cheers for taking time to reply, any knowledge is appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries mate. Hope it helps with your problem.
Change of fluid did the fix although bike sat way longer than I'd hoped due to health. Running sweet now but have an earth problem, indies are staying on constant even with ignition off. Back to drawing board!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts