Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 15 years of ownership and 72K miles I finally got around to checking my valve clearances. (A big thanks to Pete, aka The Duck, for his help). They're all in spec although there is one outlier, right exhaust valve on cylinder #1 is at the limit. Pretty impressive Honda. She's always had regular oil changes of Motul 5100 10W40 and I don't know if this has helped? Not sure whether to change some of the exhaust shims? (The inlets have a bit to go.) The bike is SORN'd and I'll take my time (as befits a man of my years) going over it through the winter.

A couple of things on Pete's excellent notes:

1. I took the radiator off because I wanted to check it anyway and it did make things easier.
2. Got a bit confused over whether to wind the CCT before hand cranking the engine. Can't see why you need to do this although the Honda manual says something about it. I just stuck the key in to make sure the CCT was locked in place. (Obviously if I decide to change some shims I will be winding the CCT in to take the tension off the cam chain.)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
That's closer to perfect than anyone could expect. That loose exhaust valve should only get tighter, so you're most likely good for another 72k on Motul.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,947 Posts
Nice, and here I am feeling guilty for not checking them yet at 26,000 miles!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: fairb

·
Super Moderator
8,479 Posts
Agree with Ixx
Got 201000 on mine with original shims still in it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Cheers fairb,

Your story is identical to mine only I was installing my first cam chain and new tensioner at 114,000kms (71k miles). I left the radiator connected, but hanging forward so it was not in the way....... If you are not changing the cam chain, leave the valves as they are..... they are fine.

My pro bike mechanic (cousin John) said they all wear faster on the exhaust side beside the cam chain but that mine was still just in spec....... then he explained that as it was such a lot of work to get the cams out again it would be better for me to change those ex shims and run with slightly wider clearances - they would close up in 30k kms anyway....... he said if I was able to hear any ticking noises then I would know what it was and could ignore it - there is no ticking noise anyway, and slightly wider valve clearances are better than too tight! But that was my BB...... it needed a CCT and chain as it had the death rattle at that mileage!

Go forth and change that shim if the cams are out otherwise inspect them again in 24k kms/15k miles ;) - with your existing oil change habits they won't wear much, and you may be due a CCT by then and that would make sense to pull the cams and do the valves at the same time(y)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the feedback. No rattles from the chain. The engine has always run well. She’s on her 4th OEM CCT and with regular oil chains at typically 1/2 the recommended interval the top end is looking good from what I can tell. I won’t be changing the shims. Just got to make sure I don’t pinch the new gasket when I put the valve cover back on. Radiator looks a bit beat up so I’ve been looking for a replacement?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts