Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all how many guys in the current forum have usd forks on their xx bike and what are they? time and cost vs reward ? im sure they are a big improvement but on the downside the rear would also have to be upgraded so a big investment i am capable of doing this job no probs but is it going to return me the outlay when i sell the bike

·
Super Moderator
8,739 Posts
I've done 2 Busa conversions. 1st and 2nd gen's, I designed and built a custom top yoke to facilitate clipons and maintain ride height. 1st gens match the BB but second gens are 3/8 of an inch shorter.
The biggest issue is the stock upper bearing. Mr. Honda decided to design around a non standard size. 26mm instead of the industry standard 27mm.
As for return on your investment probably not. If your wanting to get an good return on a sale then just do a cartridge upgrade instead. Less expense. Also your going to want to change out the rear shock anyways. They typically clap out at about 25,000 miles anyway.
Dave Daugherty makes a very good cartridge replacement and rear shock upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
12,814 Posts
2x ZX12R's (on the same bike)
The forks are the 'easy' bit it is all the other 'stuff' that you have to do that takes the time and cost. Brakes, wheels etc.
Return on investment when selling not good, as beestoys has said cartridges are the way to go at the front.

·
Registered
276 Posts
A bit over a year ago I started getting bits together to do my own USD forks. I'm going a different path than others using all Honda parts, based around the cbr1000rr 06-07 forks. It's a mix-and-match of about 4 or 5 different bike models and a few small custom parts.

I don't expect to get my money back on it, I don't know if there will be any performance improvement, and I don't even know for sure if it's going to work! But I don't care, I do it because I love to tinker!

As Bees and Duck have said, there are cheaper and easier options that are reliable and are known to give better performance. But if you do all your own work and want a challenge there are a number of threads on conversions to inspire you. 👍

·
Registered
🏍Bird 1 - Carb 1998 🏍Bird 2 - Carb 1998
43 Posts
As for return on your investment probably not. If your wanting to get an good return on a sale then just do a cartridge upgrade instead. Less expense. Also your going to want to change out the rear shock anyways. They typically clap out at about 25,000 miles anyway.

OMG 🥴
My BB1 is over 140k KM now and still using the original rear shock. I know it is not perfect and is visible tired, but still does the job (mostly solo riding in recent years).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts