Honda CBR XX Forum banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just tried my Reg my 2007 does not comform
If Honda haven't issued a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) to any previous owner, you can apply for a free one else we think it costs £80.

Read this thread, it's all here re how to do that and then apply to TfL for exemption. Fyi until you receive TfL acknowledgement that you are exempt they still expect you to pay the charge (non-refundable).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yer I'm trying to keep my eye out. Couldn't draw the test centre out on where they source their cats to buy and fit myself as a cheaper option than going through them!

Anyone know a Honda part number I can search on for the cats only. All my manuals/ parts pdfs are for carb birds.
Don't even bother trying to buy new- £700+ each. Look on ebay. It's got the cat at the front of the muffler- the tube is about 1.75* yours

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mallow1 if your after a cat exhaust there is a pair on ebay now this is the number ebay item number 264303172897
I've pinged the seller a msg as the title says right hand can. Description only mentions left.

So not clear if pair or single right or left!
??

·
Registered
350 Posts
One step closer… I'm now the proud owner of two catalytic mufflers off a 2007 EFI BB from fleabay. About £25 each. Next to swap the old non-cat ones out (taking off my Beetle bags) and get myself booked in for a test.

Anyone suggest any top tips (fuel, fuel additives etc…. run richer, run leaner in order to lower my emissions)?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man hope they never bring that in down here.Would be a good way to get a lot of bikes of the road here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cats are designed to run at stoichiometric for balanced conversion, running too rich can burn them out, running too lean won't get enough heat into them to do effective conversion. FI bikes are programmed to fuel for optimal cat conversion, carbs bikes aren't jetted to do that. FIs bike have PAIR (secondary air) to aid in quick cat light off too.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Cat bikes have a lamba sensor that adjusts the mixture on the fly once above about 2500rpm(estimate- someone will know the correct value) so the bike doesn't run rich for extended periods. A rich mixture kills the cats. Your bike won't have the sensor, birds run rich as standard so it would be an issue. Don't know how long it would take to happen so best to use the cat cans as little as possible before the test.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Childofthe…/ Kris,

Thanks guys and…. Oh good grief! I've not had to consider stoichiometric combustion in decades!

OK penny drops, the "catalytic" nature of the cats is more delicate equilibrium only achieved by the FI BB having that feedback loop in its control system plus the ability to dynamically change mix in response else the catalyst can be consumed or otherwise reduced in effectiveness.

I guess that if this works for the test I'm best keeping them for "best". Darn sure that in a couple of years time they'll have moved the goal posts again and force an expensive retest!

81 - 100 of 136 Posts