Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

bit of a strange one may be, I very rarely go abroad, especially by aeroplane. But I might be going to Stansted airport and parking the bike there and was just wondering if anyone else had? If they got their bike nicked, if there was lid/gear storage and all that?

Cheers!

Chris

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've done it once but took my gear with me as I was flying out to pick up a hire bike to ride around Austria.

No issues with bike security. Where else can you park with as much CCTV and security patrols. You'd be a pretty foolish bike theif to target airport parking.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Scotty, that is reassuring, you've got some very fair points! :)

I might email the airport and ask if they have some storage for bike gear, that'll be ideal.

Hey, looks like you have the identical colour scheme to me - great minds, hehe!

·
Registered
454 Posts
The fastest colour ;)

I think the only place to leave gear is Left Luggage but that costs per day.

Bike gear is a pain!

I'll be interested to here what you find out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hell yeah :D

Ah nice one chap, I contacted them and they said to ask Left Luggage, so emailed 'em this morning - nothing yet.

You're right about bike gear!

I'll keep you informed chap :)

·
Super Moderator
12,854 Posts
You can get metal meshed bags that you can chain to your bike, dry bag inside to keep the kit ummmm dry ......... has to be cheaper than left luggage and you have something useful at the end of your break.

Where else can you park with as much CCTV and security patrols
some of the places I have worked I would venture to guess, all guns, mirrors and sniffer dogs :smilebig:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
£10 a day I believe :-/
Oh... That sucks a bit, thought I'd check out how much parking spaces were:

Per day (24 hours)
Short Stay: £38
MidStay: £18

Example for Friday 12pm til Monday 12pm:

Longstay: £45
Midstay: £50
ShortStay: £82

You can get metal meshed bags that you can chain to your bike, dry bag inside to keep the kit ummmm dry ......... has to be cheaper than left luggage and you have something useful at the end of your break.

some of the places I have worked I would venture to guess, all guns, mirrors and sniffer dogs :smilebig:
That's a good idea! But I would be a bit worried if someone nicked my gear and lid! I did a quick search and found things like

America: Lidsafe? Anti Theft Helmet Bag

UK: PacSafe LidSafe
Hmmmmm. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,854 Posts
I don't know Stanstead but all the UK airports I've used have local 'safe' parking and transfer to the airport companies (good ones show you their insurances if you ask) ...... I used them every week for several years when I was commuting by Boeing. Never had a problem and they happily stored 'stuff' for me for free! Far cheaper than paying airport charges.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers duckie, you're probably right - I might have to wing it and see if someone will store my gear for nought! It's a shame because I passed Stansted yesterday and never thought about doing a recce...dahhhh!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
When I park at the airport (for work), I secure my gear in panniers and top case, and hide everything with a cover. Hides bike from rain, dust (plenty at airports on account of jet blast) and prying eyes!

Fly

"Speed is Life!"

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oooh, I never thought about the jet blast crap, good observation fly!

STANSTED UPDATE

Lost Luggage have just got back to me, they say you pay £6 when you collect. I've asked them to verify if that's a one off cost or a daily rate.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I would rather pay for a taxi then to worry about my bike & gear being tampered with or worse...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would rather pay for a taxi then to worry about my bike & gear being tampered with or worse...
A very good idea, but like others have said, airport's are pretty secure, considering that terrorism stuff. Plus the Taxi for me to standsted would probably exceed the cost of the flight!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They finally got back to me:

If you use the Mail & Fly service which is for items not bigger than 40x30 the price will be only £6 when you collect the item, anything larger than that will be stored in our left luggage department, price will be £ 10 x 24 h.

Naturally they didn't say what units they measure in, but I'm guessing (or hoping) it's in inches!

Hope that helps someone :)

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
I suspect that since it's in just 2 dimensions that it's a large envelope (in cm) and they'll stiff you for anything else :-/
This is modern, enlightened, progressive Britain! How could you say such a thing!? :hmm:

Reactions: bikerchris

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I suspect that since it's in just 2 dimensions that it's a large envelope (in cm) and they'll stiff you for anything else :-/
That's a very fair point, I did wonder about the lack of a third dimension....humph! If only I could install a 3D printer on the bike, and just print a lid, boots and trousers!
This is modern, enlightened, progressive Britain! How could you say such a thing!? :hmm:
Hehe, that made I chuckle! :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts