Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
E10 ain't so bad just don't leave the tank part full for very long.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It says in that report that vehicles built after 2002 should run on E10 ok, the thing is I remember when unleaded was introduced in the UK and all the flaff and scaremongering that went with it much proved to be nonsense for the best part.
I am though , wondering if my 2001 Blackbird will run on it ok ? But I have to say I do use super unleaded when available at a forecourt anyway.

·
Super Moderator
12,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have to say I had to put some E10 in the tank of my 99 when I was in the wilds of Europe some years ago (nothing else available) and it ran badly until I managed to top it up at another station with decent fuel. The report I linked to deals with cars which might be more resilient and don't forget the damage that these fuels do to petrol lines and diaphragms.

I'm no lover of these fuels, recently I had to strip down Dr Big and clean the carbs after ethanol destroyed an old liner (or something similar) in one if its tanks, had to do a lot of work on the tanks to get them fit again. My old bikes certainly won't run on E10, super it is then .....

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,073 Posts
My 2001 runs on E10 without a problem. Buuuut if I'm going to let it sit in storage for the winter I will ride until the tank is almost empty. Fill up with premium non- ethanol gas (pure gas) and put a stabilizer in it. Beestoy is correct. If going to sit for a while have a full tank. I'd also go with premium and some stabilizer. I went to seafoam and haven't had a problem since.
I knew a guy that had a BMW and his had problems. He started to put Startron in it which states that it takes care of alcohol problems. AmsOil sells a product too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheDuck

·
Registered
873 Posts
Agree with XXGUY, I had no problems either. Power output, drivability and fuel economy....no obvious change, for any of my vehicles.
Trouble starts when
1. vehicle sits for months unused.
2. Fuel tank has been restored with one of those liquid liners that are not ethanol safe.
3. Lawnmowers, chainsaws, weedwhackers, small outboard motors etc. anecdotal evidence suggests small engines do not like ethanol at all.
4. Much older vehicles where gaskets, hoses exposed to ethanol break down.

Note: unless it states so on the pump, hi-test fuel is not necessarily ethanol free as ethanol itself is an octane booster.

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
As long as it's no more the 10% you should be reasonably safe. We had a vendor here selling 15% and it was raising caine with vehicles. The automotive industry also warned them that the vehicles that weren't E85 would not react well with it. Duck I'm wondering if the station you picked it up from had water in thier storage tank.

·
Super Moderator
12,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duck I'm wondering if the station you picked it up from had water in thier storage tank.
Well I emptied my tank when I returned to see if there was any water in there ...... but none.
Fuel could have been old/stale but I didn't have a choice, mountains to go over before the next big town!

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
Well I emptied my tank when I returned to see if there was any water in there ...... but none.
Fuel could have been old/stale but I didn't have a choice, mountains to go over before the next big town!
May not have been enough to stand off but wondering if it was in suspension. Only to make sure would be to fill up at another station. I've seen that here stateside

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,073 Posts
Had water problems here at a certain chain of stations. It was so bad that GMC started questioning customers where they were getting gas as they were replacing a lot of injectors. I changed where I filled up.
Yes, small engine two strokes don't like it either. Small engine shop by me would tell customers... if gas is over 2 weeks old then empty and refill with fresh gas. Usually solved the problem.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
when california started adding ethanol around y2k, i started having the injector bodies in my '71 914 leak. expect similar in any old rubber / plastic components that touch fuel.

no issues in my '84 accord or anything newer (yet?)...

i'm no fan, corn's for tacos!

·
Registered
841 Posts
when california started adding ethanol around y2k, i started having the injector bodies in my '71 914 leak. expect similar in any old rubber / plastic components that touch fuel.

no issues in my '84 accord or anything newer (yet?)...

i'm no fan, corn's for tacos!
There is a statement from Honda saying :

All Honda motorcycles & mopeds produced for the EU market since 1993 can use ethanol blended gasoline up to 10%
Carburettor models COULD experience poor driveability in cold weather conditions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure what other fuels are available to you in UK, but in NZ I use BP regular 91 in 2004 BB and it runs beautifully.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not sure what other fuels are available to you in UK, but in NZ I use BP regular 91 in 2004 BB and it runs beautifully.
Our regular unleaded is 95RON E5 - the premium stuff is generally 99RON E5

The regular will become 95RON E10 - the premium will stay as 99RON E5

·
Super Moderator
12,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From the UK G'ment website here
Honda
E10 petrol is cleared for use in all European models with petrol engines equipped with electronic control fuel injection system (HONDA PGM-FI).
All Honda motorcycles and mopeds produced for the EU market since 1993 can use ethanol-blended gasoline up to 10% although carburettor-equipped models could experience poor driveability in cold weather conditions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not quite Blackbirds but a local 'chainsaw man' recently bemoaned the decline of many older carburettors (now irreplacable) through ethanol (modern fuels) trashing them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts