Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too many people will be able to help with this question, but here goes.

I'd like to find a good mechanic in the Twin Cities area Minnesota. I actually live in Wisconsin, so mechanics out there would be OK too.

I'm fed up with the dealer (Tousley in White Bear). Most of the independent shops around here tend to focus on big American twins. I like to shop at Bob's near Roseville for parts when I can, but I either need a new dealer with a competent service dept, or an independent shop where you can talk to the guy.

I hate watching my bike disappear into a back room and having no interaction with the guy doing some work on my bike. It's nerve-wracking getting back on the bike.

·
A Rainbird Warrior
5,154 Posts
Living in Tasmania I can't help. But wherever you are they are few and far between, we have a real top notch couple of guy's over here. I would suggest you look for someone who purely makes his living from service & repair with no interest in selling you a bike or gear etc as they have to be pretty hot to survive financially on service work only. The guys I use know just about everything there is to know about bikes and are only to pleased to show you what they are doing. The hourly rate is a bit higher but they don't over service anything so the final bill is usually less, both are ex racers & pit mechs and the bike always comes out running as sweet as could be.:thumb:

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Agreed!! It's not easy to fine a very good technician. I'm fortunate as I have one of the best, all Japanese bikes plus Ducati and he's been working at the dealer for over ten years. He's done everything to my Bird and it's never been touched by anyone elseexcept for a dealer in Edmonton, excellent dealer, and an oil change in Toronto. If you check my threads you'll see that he did the install on hids, braided lines, indiglo gage, Penske rear and Racetec front end etc, etc.
Keep searching, hopefully you'll find someone. I know how you feel b/c when I had my Harley it used to disappear and I never knew who worked on it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I know the folks at Honda Town on East Lake St in Mpls. 612-722-1110, as I recall. I've had them work on my XX, where I bought mine and my Dad's in 99. I trust them, and they are fair. Just an old fashioned (3 generations) Honda dealer. I worked there in parts in 1974. Tell em Bill Young sent you.

ominousone

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I actually live in WI. In between River Falls and Ellsworth (south of Hudson).

I work in Plymouth. Normally, I go up to Hudson and cross the river there, but because of construction, I've taken to crossing at Hastings and going up 61 to 494 and then around the cities that way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haven't had any work done by Honda Town - but they have been great as far as their parts dept goes. Mom and Pop shop - and its refreshing to walk into a shop that is old school, knowlegable and excited to help - not all spit shine and showcase.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Good Luck although this tread is 3 years old. My new tech has been working on Hondas for 30 years. I can walk to the dealer and he's done good work so far. Perhaps being in a large city helps. There are 3-5 Honda techs that I would let work on my Bird. But from now on I'm going to let Cisco work on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts