Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I've got an issue and would like your valued opinions. I've tried to find a similar fault on here but couldn't see anything the same. I've had my '07 Bird for 5 months now, still learning it's ins and outs and spending a lot of time reading through this forum. Having had R/R issues with my old GSXR, I started to wonder how my charging system was so off I went to check. Checked the battery V at rest, all good. Started the bike no problem, noted the V at start and was scribbling down the results when the bike stalled. Tried to start it again and it wouldn't fire.
  • Battery V strong, engine turns over fine but won't fire
  • Fuel pump not being primed
  • No power going to fuel pump
  • Fuel pump relay OK
  • HISS light on constantly
  • FI light on constantly
  • Checked all fuses, all OK
  • Checked all looms and connectors, all OK
  • No FI diagnostic codes stored
At the moment it's looking very like an ECM failure which I gather is not very common or a problem with the HISS. What I don't get is how it happened so suddenly :huh:

Another problem is that I have only one key. I bought the bike from the original owner........who loses keys like that???:mad:

A friend has a spare ECM with keys but I'm hesitant in using it in case I blow that one up too! Any thoughts?

**Updates
  • Clutch switch OK
  • Side stand switch OK

·
Super Moderator
12,782 Posts
Before I head too deep in here, have you checked the fight hand bar controls in particular the condition of the contacts on the kill switch?

........... presuming of course that the kill switch is turned to run (we have all been there) :rotfl:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before I head too deep in here, have you checked the fight hand bar controls in particular the condition of the contacts on the kill switch?

........... presuming of course that the kill switch is turned to run (we have all been there) :rotfl:
Yup, I've had a look in there and it all looks super clean. Also, the HISS light is off when the kill switch is off and only lights when the kill switch is set to run.

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Check the switch again make sure theirs no corrosion inside contact,with your fuel pump not primering its cutting of the fuel supply
due to some fault,have a look at your R/R connectors as well
Dont know much about the hiss and the hiss light,cause i dont have it on mine,maybe it is the ecu maybe not hope someone else can help cheers.

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
A second key may help if you have one,could be a fault with the key program, a second key can eliminate that fault finding.

·
Super Moderator
12,782 Posts
The HISS rarely gives problems (can't remember the last time an issue was actually traced to the HISS)
Checked all looms and connectors, all OK
have you actually pulled the connectors on the ECM and checked the wires? One loose broken one can cause total shut down.
Have you checked the wiring to the ignition barrel? OK your bike is 'new' so the corrosion that can cause wire breakages here shouldn't have set in but over enthusiastic cable tying can cause them to be pulled when lock is applied.
How about the connectors that connect
1. the right bar controls to the main loom
2. the ignition to the main loom
are they clean, contact cleanered?

Sorry about all the 'double checking' but it is just the way my brain works!

Oh and another 'biggie', do you have an alarm fitted?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, I only got one key when I bought the bike :(I have pulled apart, checked and reconnected every connector I can find, in the tail, in the nosecone and under the tank & seat. I haven't used contact cleaner but all contacts were shiny and bright with all wires firmly still connected. I did check all the wires close to each connector but I haven't fully traced them all to check for breakages. The ECM connectors were also in good shape pretty clean on the outside and spotless inside. All wires look good there too. I don't have an alarm.

·
Super Moderator
12,782 Posts
Hmmm you have obviously checked things out well ............. only thing you haven't confirmed yet is the ignition barrel ................ you need a bright light and a small mirror for this one.

There are a couple of switched live wires at the ECM, it is worth checking you are getting voltages on these (sorry I'm working so don't have the diagram to hand to give you the colours .... red/white from memory) ......... and a green earth that joins the bunch of green earth wires that terminate in the bunch on the frame cross member at the rear of the tank - check continuity on that.

Yes earths, are they all intact?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here's a demonstration on how the hiss works. The key is worn out and he's able to pull it out of the ignition after it's turned on. It may help?

Honda Ignition Security System behaviour - YouTube
That Youtube video looks just like your symptoms. Interesting too. But not a great result if it is.

I just checked mine and with kill switch off and key turned on, the FI light and oil light stay on, but no fuel prime (and it won't turn over) and no HISS. As soon as I put the kill switch on, the fuel primes and the HISS light goes on for the few seconds while it primes, then FI and HISS lights go off.

But don't let me interrupt TheDuck. He has some good advice still and worth checking before having to make an ECU change.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That YouTube video is exactly displaying my symptoms. Great find 8track, thanks.Yup, I have checked the earth stack under the tank and it's good. I am yet to check the ignition barrel and the switched live wires at the ECM. Thanks guys, I'll try to get these checks done today.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Right I'm going to take a shot in the dark here, you where messing around with the battery at the time so I'll assume it is somehow linked, you say you checked all the fuses - well you may have missed one, there are 2x main 30 amp fuses did you check both ? and don't just look at them check with a meter

everything else seems to have been covered in the thread - you might want to go ahead and swap out the ECU - I can't see you doing any damage - also go back and check the right hand switch gear - again use a meter

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The ignition barrel is all good and the fuses are all looking good with the DMM. At this point the only things I can logically suspect are the key, the HISS aerial, the ECM or the wiring between. I have a friend coming round with an ECM with paired keys to try in the next couple of days. Hopefully we will know more after that.

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Good stuff thats what you need to do,get someome to have a look who knows what their doing.,time to stop guessing it will cost you more money.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So.......the main man arrived this evening with his ECM and matched key. We plugged in the ECM, held his key to my HISS sensor and tried to start it. Same outcome. We then wrapped my key in foil to shield its transponder code and tried again. She fired up pretty quickly. Happy days, it appears the fault is with the ECM which is easier than trying to trace a broken wire but a lot more costly. I found an ECM on eBay from the Uk with 2 matching keys, uncut, which I've ordered and hopefully it'll wing it's way down here quickly. ECM pt. no. 38770-MAT-D52Hopefully that will get me back on the road. The worry is that I have no clue why it would have failed in the manner it did and no guarantee that it won't do the same again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My new ECM arrived yesterday with two uncut keys. Got the keys cut this morning and put the ECM in and she fired up straight away. Bike is all back together ready for a blat tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Reactions: TheDuck
1 - 19 of 19 Posts