Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Hi, I have a 1999 Blackbird and I have been going through batteries over the past couple of seasons. I seem to have an issue with it not charging normally. I'm thinking it is a strator issue but would love to know if others have had the same issue before I take in in for repairs. Thanks

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Second cbrdeano above. The charging system is one of the very few known weak points of the BB. As stated, you will need a basic multi meter. We can assist. Also, you should know that there are upgrades available to the charging system. Well worth the slightly higher upfront cost.

·
Administrator
9,634 Posts
Go through the chart about 1/2 way down the page.
Fault finding guide

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had one (only) charging failure when my stator developed a fault as I was heading home from a 200km ride. Lucky me, the battery ran down and the BB stopped in civilization not out in the scrub - what a great bike....choosing to break down close to home where I could easily get help :D.

My mech tested and discovered the stator had failed (@ 40 K miles) but that the R/R was undamaged (05 BB with the heavy duty wiring Honda put in from ??). Even that battery came good after a deep recharge!

I had the stator rewound with thicker wire and now, at 80k miles, it is still running strong with the same R/R and repaired stator.

My mechanic said at the time that any stator on crank can fail at any time due heat/ manufacturing defect (eg, wire fracture during machine winding). The only ones that last forever are the car type alternators like those used on Yamaha's FJR1300, mounted externally not inside the engine cases.

Other failures can be caused by using a battery past it's prime. There is a test for this too.... CCV test. Usually a battery only lasts 2-3 years riding most days, maybe 4-5 yrs riding monthly.

Do the simple multimeter ccv test and it will confirm the problem......or let the mechanic do it, either way, it's a wear and tear issue - our Beloved Birds are well and truly senior birds now....... I"m not sure if the 99 FI got the factory updated wiring or if it had the early models R/R mounted in the left not in cooling airflow.

There are good articles in the resources section that explain why charging systems/batteries fail.

(y)

Reactions: spartacurse5

·
Registered
55 Posts
You probably saw this, but my thread contains relevant info. My new battery went low enough that it wouldn't crank as well.

BTW, if you are anywhere around NY, I'm not opposed to helping. There's strength in numbers.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
When parked for a long while, I disconnect the earth lead from the battery,
Other wise it will go flat from the clock and or Hiss sucking power,

·
BirdDog
598 Posts
For what it’s worth, I ALWAYS immediately plug into a deltran battery tender when parked at home; it’s as common to me as removing my boots. Also, I only run Yuasa batteries. Including the stock battery, I’m on my fourth battery since 1997 having just replaced with number 4 this past winter; so about eight years per battery. I did replace my RR at 75,000 miles after it took a dump in the middle of nowhere Ontario some 15 years ago while riding around Lake Superior. I disconnected the headlight to reduce draw, plugged in for 30 minutes at each fuel-stop and my riding buddy would assist with a good “push-start” to save some juice; gotta love a carbie 🤣😂. I was able to borrow a battery tender from a small snowmobile shop to take along until I got’r replaced en-route (thanks to a gracious honda dealer in Duluth that overnighted a replacement and let me use his shop and tools). She’s still runnin’ like a top at over 150,000 miles 👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts