Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
another option that some of us have tried is the new series regulators...model number sh775. They vary the output from the stator to match the load placed on the system. In theory this should increase the life of the stator and reg due to not having to shunt as much excess current from the stator. I have had it for a year now with no problems.

·
Registered
04 XX
2 Posts
Given that this is a seven year old thread, today's options may not have been available back then...
Apologies for the thread necromancy, just wondering if anyone has any more up to date recommendations for a replacement. I'm looking to swap mine out at the moment.

·
Registered
776 Posts
As cbrdeano stated above, the fh020aa is the go to unit, I think for pretty much all bikes, and is becoming standard equipment on a lot of new ones. Can be bought new here www.roadstercycle.com/index.htm . Best practice is to wire the output directly to the battery via a large 30A fuse.
What are your symptoms that push for a swap out?

·
Registered
04 XX
2 Posts
Thanks will look into it, the symptoms are the battery not charging. So I've got a new one as I think the old battery could be beyond recovery anyway - which could be the issue - so I know it could be a few things. Though I was thinking I'll swap out the rectifier anyway, if they are know to go, so at least I know it's done. I'm just stepping though the options and about to crack out the multi meter.

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you are handy with a multimeter, then test the stator also. A bad stator will lead to low voltage and discharged battery.
Stator test:
!. Disconnect the 3 pin plug from the stator. Manual says check the resistance all 3 ways (I forget the value).
2. Start the engine and check the voltage all 3 ways. Roughly 60V @ 5000rpm. Important that all 3 readings are very close to each other.
3. Load test the stator------------rig a 60W incandescent house bulb all 3 ways. Should burn bright at 5000rpm.

Make sure the 3 pin connector (I think some models have 2) is in good shape as they tend to melt.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts