Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!,

I have a 97 Bird that I got recently so I'm still not so familiar with the bike but I did notice an unusual ticking sound coming from the bike ( video: 20200712_173639_001.mp4 ).

What I've done to the bike so far:
  • change the oil to 10w40 Honda semi synthetic, was 20w50 Spectro synthetic
  • replace coolant
  • change tires
It is very likely I just didn't notice the sound before but wanted to mention what I had done just in case. I'm thinking of buying a new cct after doing some research on this website but it is a bit pricey for me at the moment so I was wondering if this is what a failing cct sounds like?

The valves were checked 13,000 miles ago and were in spec according to the maintenance history that came with the bike so I'm not sure if that's the issue. The sound seems to be easier to hear if I put my ear under the bike, in the video you can see this when I put the phone under the bike. Checked oil level after riding the bike a couple days ago and it was right at max. Bike starts up and rides just fine as well, not sure how obvious power loss would be to me since this is my first Bird but the bike doesn't seem to be losing power.

Chris

·
Registered
607 Posts
Might simply be clutch rumble, they all do it. Pull in the clutch lever, it should go away. If so, then normal.
Failing CCT sounds like a bucket of bolts, will be obvious when revved to 3-4000prm.
What is your idle speed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checking on the bike, noise doesn't go away when I pull in the clutch lever. I want to double check the oil level though, looking at the manual it says to idle 2-3 minutes then check after shutting it off. I checked the oil after going for a ride instead of after idling and possibly had the bike off for too long before checking the oil. Plus I was sitting on the bike instead of using the center stand. I'll have to put the center stand back on the bike and then I'll post an update here after checking the oil again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello!,

I have a 97 Bird that I got recently so I'm still not so familiar with the bike but I did notice an unusual ticking sound coming from the bike ( video: 20200712_173639_001.mp4 ).

What I've done to the bike so far:
  • change the oil to 10w40 Honda semi synthetic, was 20w50 Spectro synthetic
  • replace coolant
  • change tires
It is very likely I just didn't notice the sound before but wanted to mention what I had done just in case. I'm thinking of buying a new cct after doing some research on this website but it is a bit pricey for me at the moment so I was wondering if this is what a failing cct sounds like?

The valves were checked 13,000 miles ago and were in spec according to the maintenance history that came with the bike so I'm not sure if that's the issue. The sound seems to be easier to hear if I put my ear under the bike, in the video you can see this when I put the phone under the bike. Checked oil level after riding the bike a couple days ago and it was right at max. Bike starts up and rides just fine as well, not sure how obvious power loss would be to me since this is my first Bird but the bike doesn't seem to be losing power.

Chris
well iv had bikes that engines make ticking, clunking, rattle, grumbling. Give the throttle a whack from idle if nothing bad sounds your all good "don't get too paranoid"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checking on the bike, noise doesn't go away when I pull in the clutch lever. I want to double check the oil level though, looking at the manual it says to idle 2-3 minutes then check after shutting it off. I checked the oil after going for a ride instead of after idling and possibly had the bike off for too long before checking the oil. Plus I was sitting on the bike instead of using the center stand. I'll have to put the center stand back on the bike and then I'll post an update here after checking the oil again.
I was able to get to this tonight. I ended up adding oil.

I started with idling for 3 mintues, checked the oil level after about 7-8 minutes of the bike sitting. The oil level was a bit above the minimum. I did also check the oil level right after shutting the bike off but the oil seemed to be barely getting on the dip stick this way so I couldn't get an accurate reading.

After adding the oil: ran the bike for two minutes, checked the oil after shutting the bike off for 7-8 minutes which ended up being about 3/4 of the way to max.

This surprised me a bit since checking the bike after riding and while sitting on the bike resulted in a different reading which lead me to believe I didn't need to add oil. I'm guessing adding the center stand can change the reading on the dip stick that much? Maybe I was leaning on the bike while checking the oil and sitting on the bike?

A bit off topic but thought this could be interesting to someone, back on topic. The ticking noise mentioned in the topic is still there. Tonight I'll take the bike out for a ride and see if it's less noticeable to me and take another video to compare to the previous video. I agree with @macka20 that these are probably just normal sounds from the motorcycle since the bike runs just fine.

·
Super Moderator
12,595 Posts
Random thought, does your bike have an original (steel) exhaust?
There have been cases where a weld on a divider/deflector inside the one piece headers breaks leaving the piece of plate flapping in the exhaust gasses ..... which produces a ticking noise until it breaks off completely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts