Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Some [email protected] thought it would be funny to kick over my 02 Blackbird last weekend and now I have found (apart from the broken fairings etc) that the throttle does not return. The bike went over onto the right side and the bar end took a knock. First of all I thought the bar end was pushed onto the throttle rubber but then I took off the bar end off and it still was sticking. Now then, do I start looking at the throttle assembly on the handlebar or look under the tank to check for a disconnected cable?

What do you suggest or what could be the cause?

Thanks in advance.

Wilmywilm

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Welcome, I hate pricks like that!!! Download the pdf shop manual, if you haven't already. In Aug some dick head keyed our G and I have a good idea who. No proof. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Possibly a bend clipon and the throttle handle tube is binding

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
It may be that the switch block assembly has been pushed, along with the throttle sleeve, against the front brake master cylinder assembly. This would effectively pinch the throttle sleeve between the inside of the switch block and the front brake master cylinder parts. One thing to check which may confirm this is the "locator pin" that fits in the lower half of the swith block assembly. This "locator pin" is of "white metal" (pot metal) make up and fits into a small hole on the underside of the handle bar/clip-on. With the pin correctly positioned inside the hole in the handle bar it both "locates" the correct position of the switch block assembly and also unloads the switch block mounting screws that squeeze the switch block halves,..in this way there is no required "friction fit" of the switch block assembly to the handle bar. One simply tightens the switch block screws to close the assembly and the locating pin effectively locks the positon of the switch block to the bars. This actually saves one from the need to over tighten the switch block screws and perhaps stripping the theads out of the switch block in the process.

The bar end weights fit into the vibe damping units hiden inside the handle bars. The vibe units are of a friction fit and if forced, I should think will slide further inside the handle bar thus allowing the throttle sleeve to be pushed hard against the inside of the switch block housing..and then to maybe snap the small locator pin off, and then cause a binding of the throttle assembly in total.

An easy "check/fix" of this might be to loosen the front brake master cylinder and brake lever parts and slide them inboard on the handle bar which would allow you to recover the required clearance between throttle sleeve and the inside spaces of the switch block assembly.

disclaimer: All the above is from memory (need to check the switch block for the locator pin) but I believe it is both true and possibly your issue. The locator pin is a standard bit of engineering that Honda has done for a very long time.

Tony

·
Administrator
12,938 Posts
I would go along with Tonys suggestion.
One easy check is to split the control block (2 screws) lift the top section (just enough to see) whilst holding the lower section on the bar and then check that
a) The throttle tube is still in its correct position and not rubbing on the inner plastic 'wall'.
Then put the top of the switch block back on and then lower the bottom section and check that
b) The cable pull is smooth when you twist the throttle.

If not happy then, separate the switch fully from the bar and check the smoothness of the tube on the bar.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I would think the tube is sticking inside the housing too.Just loosening the screws may free the tube and then you'll know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all very much for your suggestions.

I removed the screws for the switch assembly the throttle was moving freely and I also checked that the locating pin was in the correct hole, and it was. I then discovered the throttle was sticking as I was tightening up the screws but not as much as before. I have also found that now the throttle sticks when the handlebars are turned to the left and free when turned right. The cables seem to be very tight when the handlebars are turned to the left possibly causing the problem (This could have been like this before the bike went over and had never noticed). I lifted the tank to see if there was any slack that could be drawn through, but I couldn't see anything.

·
Premium Member
5,896 Posts
:welcome:. Good luck w/the fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts