Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I fitted a Kaoko cruise control today. In the process of doing this I noticed that the throttle cable over time had been wearing or chafing against the upper steering yoke as per picture 1. The resulting wear to the outer sheath of the cable is shown in picture 2. I accept this has shortened the life of the throttle cable dramatically, but I certainly don't want to replace them today.

My temporary solution is to cable tie some 7-10mm flexible conduit over the cable at the chafe point as shown in picture 3.

I just thought I would share this, I doubt mine is the only one in this condition. When I install any replacement cable I am going to do this from now on.

I did a quick lazy search but couldn't see where this had been covered before, I hope it helps someone.

Cheers, Keith

Attachments

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Teef I would eventually replace them as they seem frayed and have split
As mine are routed the same way,they have no wear or rub marks when I looked.
Cheers.

Reactions: teef.au

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Teef I would eventually replace them as they seem frayed and have split
As mine are routed the same way,they have no wear or rub marks when I looked.
Cheers.
Yup totally will, just not today or tomorrow. At first by sight I didn't think it had completely cracked the outer cable, it wasn't until I saw the photo to post here that I realized how bad the damage was.

I'm becoming an expert at Bird tank removal ..

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Seeing as how everyone is waiting anxiously for my opinion, I'll take a moment and type it out here. ;b

The plastic coating on the throttle cable sheaths is just that...a plastic coating. Its a protective covering to keep the tender pieces of the motorcycle from being abraded or defaced by an opposing piece of metal sliding against them. Removing the black plastic coating does not in any way infringe upon the mechanical operation of the cables. Once the protective covering is removed, then wear can commence upon the wound metal jacketing of the cables.

I'm sure teef has conducted a thorough investigation of the routing and wear points of the throttle cables on his specific XX, and the modification he has performed is safe and effective. My concern is that another may read this post and decide to do the same or similar without close examination and thinking the procedure through. Here is why:

The smooth protective hard plastic coating of the throttle cables essential purpose is to allow the throttle cables to move readily across uneven and sometimes inconsistent surfaces. Obviously the throttle cables move past these surfaces on a regular and repeated basis. Teef's pictures of wear and examination of your own motorcycles will support this. There is a reason the manufacturer designed the system in this fashion rather than securely and aggressively fastening the cables tight against the motorcycle. That reason is the system needs to move in order to be effective. Anything other than the most perfect alignment of the cable can impede cable movement, and things work best if the cable is allowed to assume its least and most natural bend at any given point. I can envision an instance where a comparatively bulky corrugated sleeve held on by cable ties could more easily catch on the motorcycle or a foreign object and obstruct throttle management of the motorcycle resulting in anything from a jammed throttle to a slightly balky return. Any sudden change in throttle performance is a big step to a potentially regrettable situation.

Moral of the story...think things through, make sure your setups, both stock and modified are safe not only for normal operation, but in whatever unusual circumstance one might envision. The fewer stories about losing fingers while oiling a chain or breaking a wrist because you cell phone mount fell off and jammed the steering, the better off we are.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup good call for general advice. Please note that I have not restricted the movement of the cables in any way and I do not advocate doing so, I've only added an extra sheath to buy me some more time before I replace them.

but yes you are right it is often dangerous or has unintended consequences when you change or restrict the routing of a system that needs to move.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had same issues when I installed convertibars and replaced throttle cables and brake lines. After seeing the wear on the cables I bought clear tubing, split it with a razor down the length of the tube then just fitted it over the cable. Used a small piece of electrical tape to keep it from moving and don't even notice it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had same issues when I installed convertibars and replaced throttle cables and brake lines. After seeing the wear on the cables I bought clear tubing, split it with a razor down the length of the tube then just fitted it over the cable. Used a small piece of electrical tape to keep it from moving and don't even notice it.
Ahhhh!!!! I hadn't thought of that and it seems so obvious now you say it, I have VFR800 bars on it and so they are pulling the throttle cables up further than intended yes, so this is a good idea if you have any sort of bar risers.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Sage words from iXXion. Cable routining is very important to ensure smooth throttle operation. Correct cable slack adjustment (after cable change out) is also key to smooth operation. It can happen that the "pull to close" cable, in particular, is adjusted to snug (lacking any slack) and this causes the cable to bind, producting lack luster throttle return performance. So take note of how smooth your throttle is now and the related slack in the adjustment, before you change out the cables.

Re: Cable Tie application: Very true that sinching the throttle cables down in the most tidy manner can in the end effect the throttle performance. We think we are doing a good thing by keeping things snug up to the chassis and such, but with throttle cables this can be a mistake. An off spec bike operator (BMW) did this on his 1200R only to find that the performance and feel of the machine had changed to a marked degree and he was lost as to why the sudden change in performance. He spent a couple hundered at the shop to find out that two cable tie wraps had in fact restricted the throttle and caused the throttle to hang. "Who'd have thunk it?"

For those who would fancy themselves as long term owners/operators of the XX check the availability of new OEM cables. I have a spare set in my parts stash but had to source them out of the U.S. because (at the time) they were not available in Canada. Also, the fuel injection cables (I'm a carb'd xx operator) are not inter-changeable with the carb'd machines (of course) so do not think that you have an option in that direction. I have a set of FI cables also and I believe they are shorter then the OEM carb models, if memory serves.

If your in a bind for cables (no pun intended) you may be able to fab up a custom set with the help of this vendor: Venhill.co.uk Motorcycle Braided Brake Hoses, Lines and Clutch Cables or Venhill Cables and Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines | Venhill USA I have not used there goods but mention them as an option.

I believe that Motion Pro also do replacement cables, but some reports are not so complimetary as I recall. Again, I have no experiance with there cable wares myself. OEM has been my choice since day one.

FWIW,

T.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Carby cables are longer, so are frequently in demand by those using VFR bars or other extensions.

I think someone needs to do a fly by wire retrofit. That will solve any problem with the cables, and give us a whole 'nother set of problems!

·
Administrator
12,928 Posts
If your in a bind for cables (no pun intended) you may be able to fab up a custom set with the help of this vendor: Venhill.co.uk Motorcycle Braided Brake Hoses, Lines and Clutch Cables or Venhill Cables and Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines | Venhill USA I have not used there goods but mention them as an option.

T.
Both my Birds run on Venhill cables, I do like the build it yourself kits since it allows you to produced the cables to exactly the length you want.

Reactions: teef.au

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Both my Birds run on Venhill cables, I do like the build it yourself kits since it allows you to produced the cables to exactly the length you want.

That's nice to know Duck. I notice they also do a Emergency Road Side Repair Kit which might be worth hauling if your into a high milage machine on old cables.

T.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts