Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Im thinking on making a swingarm conversion, I read a little about it and I think the easiest is the cbr 900 rr 94-97 . Does anybody made it or something similar, what mods would it need?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,598 Posts
Assuming you are not thinking of going single sided the 919 cbr900rr (stone was right, the earlier model) is the easiest fit.
When looking at swing arm conversions it is not just the swing arm itself that you have to look at.

You need to check
1. Length
2. Mounting
3. Hole size for the spindle
4. Brake bracket mounting
5. Is the hole for the shock to pass through in the correct place

With the 919 swing arm the hole for the shock is nearly in the right place, a slight offset is needed (spacers on the triangle brackets) to get the shock bottom to line up if the top mount uses the OE top frame mount.

The mounting for the brake bracket is a 'cut in' as opposed to a lug on the Bird swing arm. You can use the blade brake bracket and caliper but that means loosing the linked brakes and a new master cylinder.

Mounting the swing arm is not that difficult but you need to have access to a lathe. You need different spacers (sizes depend on carbie/inj frame/locking mechanism) to get the swing arm to sit correctly and to get the chain run correct this takes time and usually several sets of spacers to get right.

So to answer your question there is quite a lot of work involved.

Swing arm 001.JPG Shock clearance.JPG odds 010.JPG odds 005.JPG Swing arm 003.JPG

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Duck!
I will start searching a swing arm and then start with it. Maybe a winter project. Seeing the photos of your project always fascinates me!
Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts