Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mr
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I hope someone knows the answer to a couple of blonde questions.

where is the thermostat on a carbed BB. I want to check it is working as the temperature gauge has goes off the scale, but I don't think I have an issue (hope!) Somewhere on here, someone suggested it was corroded tracks on the back of the clocks, which I think is my problem.
hot.jpg
^^The bike has been switched off for the past 6 hours (and is now cold) & I've put the key in, but not turned over just for the photo.

Also, where is the temperature sensor for the temperature gauge. I thought it was to the left of the bike plugged into the radiator, but I've disconnected that cable and left it a while and the dial doesn't move either way.
sensor.jpg
^^ Is this the temperature sender for both the fan and the gauges?

A bonus question. Does the fan come from a separate temperature sensor the the gauges (I suspect not, but I don't know). If I run the engine for a few minutes stationary, the fan starts, but it doesn't run all the time while the temp gauge is through the roof.

Wayne

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Ask Mr Hanes Manual.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The temp sensor is screewed into the thermostat housing, the item in the picture is the fan switch which operates independant of the TS

Your first sugestion about your issue sounds about right or the TS has gone faulty

The thermostat is just below the carbs under the tank

·
Mr
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If anyone else has the same issue, it was corroded tracks on the back of the clock. Multimeter and a cup of tea later told me this (take the temp and fuel gauge out first else you may end up measuring the resistance across that).

Some tracks went green (water and heat has got onto the bare copper and caused copper oxidisation) and the resistance went up. The fuel gauge (which also was also off the scale - I'd disconnected it) had a broken track between that and the temperature gauge also. (Its either the +12V or the 0V, I never bothered checking)

4 small round crimps and 2 short lengths of wire to bypass the broken tracks sorted it and everything works again.

Wayne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts