1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,740 Posts
Rsholes. Never let them say customers are their main priority. Their reasoning only stems from their thinktanks on customer relations. Growing more in love with my dr350 95 model and my bb.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

I had brought this up on another thread. All the more reason to keep our 'old' bikes.

So once you've bought the cheapest model then rooted it's software/ jailbreak it, you end up with the top end version. Interesting!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stick with the tried and tested, un complicated carb BB. That's what I'm doing.
There's something to be said for that too, unless the carbs gum up with our crappy ethanol gasoline and long winter inactivity up here in the frozen North. I think I must buy a thumper. Even more simple! :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Rsholes. Never let them say customers are their main priority. Their reasoning only stems from their thinktanks on customer relations
All KTM'S 1290's now have a tech package it's basically you pay for the unlocking of the software so that the equipment can be upgraded like quickshifter, exhaust, race tune, etc etc but new buyers have been able to make a deal to get the software upgrade for free if they pay for the hardware.

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,740 Posts
I can just see it that the owners end up on the never never. A carrot dangling in front of them. I suppose this is where generations step off the merry go round. I've long wanted to set up a modular basic fix yaself engine bike or car that doesn't rely upon software upgrades. Things like emission control stuffed that. I feel you never win, you just keep getting sucked in. My 95 Dr350 is seeming better and better.

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,740 Posts
And then 'person' drive becomes subscription instead of 'smart vehicle' drive? Every one of these steps is one step up the flight of stairs towards manufacturer controlled. And all backed up by 'research' supposedly proving human control means more accidents. Dear me. I'm glad i lived when i did.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel you never win, you just keep getting sucked in.
Credit cards; bank account; cellphone to pay for parking or you cannot park;
All forced upon us. Don't get me wrong. I am not a Luddite....far from it I just don't like being forced into technologies and having choice forcefully taken away from me.

Not allowed to do or say this and that keeps on increasing by the day too!

Please feel free to add to the list.

pbz1900, I am also glad that I lived when I did.

·
Registered
566 Posts
:ROFLMAO:...... I'm old enough to remember the 70's when I first started riding....... we all had ignition points timing and were slaves to cleaning contacts and adjusting just right. When transistorised pointless ignition timing came into use, the older guys were warning of being stranded by the side of the road.......never happened..... now 45+ years later I'm riding a radar guided cruise missile with fancy TFT dash...... yet I feel obsolete when my older neighbour picks me up in his MG EV and we go out for our weekly breakfast 'chew the fat' and solve the worlds problems session......... :LOL:....my high tech Ducati uses fossil fuel at an alarming rate, and a tank fill costs >$40Au :(.

Keeping old carbie bikes is ok so long as parts and fuel remain available. Carbs do eventually wear out, and suffer air leaks and needle and seat wear and seals harden etc etc......and they need cleaning and tuning.....done that many times, smelly dirty job stripping carbs.......:(.

I am impressed with my old friends EV though,...costs him about $7bucks to do 240kms a week when he charges overnight using the grid, or nothing if he uses his rooftop PV cells during the day. Servicing is almost $nil as well...

:D

Reactions: periwinkle

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
:ROFLMAO:...... I'm old enough to remember the 70's when I first started riding....... we all had ignition points timing and were slaves to cleaning contacts and adjusting just right. When transistorised pointless ignition timing came into use, the older guys were warning of being stranded by the side of the road.......never happened..... now 45+ years later I'm riding a radar guided cruise missile with fancy TFT dash...... yet I feel obsolete when my older neighbour picks me up in his MG EV and we go out for our weekly breakfast 'chew the fat' and solve the worlds problems session......... :LOL:....my high tech Ducati uses fossil fuel at an alarming rate, and a tank fill costs >$40Au :(.

Keeping old carbie bikes is ok so long as parts and fuel remain available. Carbs do eventually wear out, and suffer air leaks and needle and seat wear and seals harden etc etc......and they need cleaning and tuning.....done that many times, smelly dirty job stripping carbs.......:(.

I am impressed with my old friends EV though,...costs him about $7bucks to do 240kms a week when he charges overnight using the grid, or nothing if he uses his rooftop PV cells during the day. Servicing is almost $nil as well...

:D
Nothing wrong with EVs. I like them, and would buy an EV bike if my pockets were deep enough, and there were enough charging stations. I had the attitude that I would not ever want an EV as part of the fun of motorcycling is the vroom, vibration and wind. I changed my mind after a friend of mine took me for a rode in his Tesla S.

As you alluded to, advances in technology like points to electronic ignition are fantastic ( Yup, I started riding in the 70s and getting my CB350 timing and tappet clearance just right was almost an art). I would welcome traction control if I rode a lot in the rain. In general the old engines were not as robust or smooth as the engines from the past 25 years or so, we have come a long way.

On the flip side the technology has brought radar cameras of all sorts which makes me an unsafe speedo gazer in the city as it's so easy to inadvertently exceed the speed limits.

C'est la Vie!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah the old tally ho paper points adjust system. The cb350 and 750 were a labour of primitve love. And they wobbled.
Wobble or no wobble, and a rear DRUM brake, but it always put a big grin on my face.........until it got stolen, and the GS1000E turned up to make my grin even bigger.

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,740 Posts
It was simple to adjust tappets and points. Yes extra maintenance but it was my labour not the shop. And i knew more than some of these pilots know now. Its an old farts rant i know. So cancel me. My tshirt will read Land Rights For Gay Whales. It worries me how close that is coming to reality. 🤣

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It was simple to adjust tappets and points. Yes extra maintenance but it was my labour not the shop. And i knew more than some of these pilots know now. Its an old farts rant i know. So cancel me. My tshirt will read Land Rights For Gay Whales. It worries me how close that is coming to reality. 🤣
'Pilots'? You are being too nice. Parts replacement people who don't have the faintest idea how to diagnose most things that require the smallest amount of grey matter.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Adding to the conversation. I think pbz1900 will like this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
These tactics only work if they succeed. No buyers equals cease and desist of the tactic.

I'm old enough to remember when cable companies touted... "Sure we charge money for TV but we do not have commercials" Makes sense. Their business models knew that the revenue stream was positive, but they got greedy.

If EVERYONE pulled the plug when commercials appeared monthly payments would still cover expenses. As it is, I stopped cable 12+ years ago, acquired a vast DVD collection of first run movies (which are a LOT longer than those on cable which have to be cutup to make room for commercials) , got over the air digital TV and don't mind their commercials at all.

I know, I know, the "Made for cable" crappenzola may not have been made, but I don't need it.

Reactions: deadman
1 - 20 of 23 Posts