Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been posted before. I did a site search and came up with nothing

This is the original site

·
Registered
382 Posts
Nah! These were just run-of-the-mill, generic design exercises, I reckon.

The ‘Bird is known as a stand-out machine for a reason - because it’s a great-looking machine,

while the Hayabusa is also known as a "stand-out" machine - because it’s such an
ugly looking mo-fo.

There’ll never be another Blackbird - just like there’ll never be another Supermarine Spitfire.

·
Registered
158 Posts

The ‘Bird is known as a stand-out machine for a reason - because it’s a great-looking machine,

while the Hayabusa is also known as a "stand-out" machine - because it’s such an
ugly looking mo-fo.

There’ll never be another Blackbird - just like there’ll never be another Supermarine Spitfire.

ugly looking mo-fo.

have another look at the busa and tell me your blackbird is an iconic bike? it’s not the busa is iconic it just stands out
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
557 Posts
Well good things must come to an end and the fact that we are still waxing lyrical about the Blackbird nearly a quarter of a century later tells you what a great bike it is.
However given the piss poor selection on offer by Honda motorcycles at the moment I feel they need to quickly grab the bull by the horns and produce something special.
The VFR1200 was a disaster and perhaps they should give the remit for building a new bike to experienced designers and engineers and not wet behind the ears kids just out of design college ! Better still real World bikers like ourselves.
Yes I would love to see a new CBR , maybe a CBR1200 or 1300 ? But sadly the focus is all on electric, and maybe if they did would they dare call it " blackbird " but I have to admit for such a mass produced machine they are a fairly rare sight on UK roads these days and even this forum as limited members so the word Blackbird wouldnt mean anything to the new generation of up and coming bikers.
As for the Busa , at least Suzuki are still investing in their machines as are Kawasaki ,sadly even Yamaha are dropping off popular models like the FJR something I couldnt believe.
But at the moment IMHO , Honda currently has the worst range of new models among the Japenese manufacturers, so yeah , I'm all for a new Blackbirdish bike .
Oh and BTW I personally quite like those new designs......Well in red anyway..

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Bird has one thing over other bikes that I've bought that's often overlooked by buyers of high performance sportsbikes and tourer and that's Ergonomic position of the rider, knowing when your out on a trip you are not going to get tired or stiff after a good stint in the saddle. The fairing design is pleasant to look at, and generates nice power but suits the brakes and suspension, its a terrific bike and wouldn't disgrace itself keeping up with fast riders if its been rebuilt properly. i never hesitate to recommend to someone looking for a great allrounder.

·
Registered
382 Posts
have another look at the busa and tell me your blackbird is an iconic bike? it’s not the busa is iconic it just stands out
(like a sore thumb) 😅
It's all down to personal preference, isn't it? To be truthful, the first "Hyper-bike" I went to look at was a 'Busa - but it didn't "fit" me when I sat on it. As I was about to leave the showroom, the salesman said: "Have you thought about trying a Blackbird?". I had my back to the bike and, when I turned around, it was love at first sight. Over 20 years riding 'Birds around Europe and the UK hasn't changed that.

And that's the thing about biking.

Whatever bike you ride, deep down, mostly, you ride it because you love it.

Ride Safe. (y)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I get so excited looking at something new to ride its got to be a beast to ride looks good but just has warning all over it I'm so on one for on of these 1198s for the summer I'm not bored with the bird but not excited over it Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
89 Posts
After four years I've decided that as long as my Blackbird runs or can be fixed I won't get rid of it. I've ridden bikes with more power, newer bikes with more equipment, faster bikes, smaller bikes, bigger bikes etc. but I just really like my Bird. It has it's minor flaws but I love it all the same and I just don't need or want a different bike. It'll stay with me for as long as one of us lives.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi

I know a man who is responsible for new models in Honda. He worked long time in Japan. There is only 4 people in Honda, who can decide regarding new models. I emailed him today. I will let you know what he says ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And that's the thing about biking.

Whatever bike you ride, deep down, mostly, you ride it because you love it.
Absolutely correct!

I still remember the thrill that a piddly little two stroke 125 gave me on a test ride when I first started riding. Had it been a 50cc I think that I would have been just as thrilled because I knew that I absolutely had to ride motorcycles probably from the age of about 7 when a friend of my father's rode in on his CB 77 Super Hawk (all 305cc of it). I was in absolute awe!

This is why it is nigh impossible to explain to a non enthusiast why we love and ride motorcycles. It's pretty much indescribable and needs to actually be experienced. No drug could ever give me the feeling that riding a motorcycle does. Depending on your mood, you don't even have to be going extremely fast to feel good on a bike AND you do not need a huge bike. Sometimes I feel that I want to go back to a naked bike just to feel what I felt with my seventies bikes, the CB750 and GS1000E. Primitive technology compared to the Bird, but Boy, did I ever have thrills on them!

Would I buy a new iteration of the Blackbird? Probably not.

The Bird had it's place in time when innovation was moving ahead rapidly, hence the speed pissing wars. But the Bird (just like Honda's VFR) was and is much more than just a fast bike.

Maxing out the Bird's capabilities is beyond my competency level at this point of my life, so what would the point of a more powerful bike be? That's in addition to the high ratio of police to civilians in my area and lot's of radar traps.

Electronic gadgetry? Don't hate most of it, it but don't need or want it, partly because I like to diagnose and maintain my own bikes wherever possible. For me it's part of the fun of owning a motorcycle. Many like to just ride and let the dealer maintain their bike, and that's fine too.

The height of absurdity......BMW now charges a monthly subscription for to to be able to heat your car seats. On one of the newer BMW bikes (I think it was the S1000R) the reviewer pointed out the stupidity of have to engage a multi level Menu command sequence on the display screen to change heat settings, while in motion, when a simple analogue control on the handlebar would have been safer and simpler.

Styling! Take a look at this thread. I was quite surprised at how nice a fully made over Bird could look in Grey....of all colours.

To see what is possible with a stock Bird in the hands of an extremely skilled "hooligan" watch this. Too bad that the filming technology was primitive compared to what we have now.

I still look at other bikes and will probably still buy older bikes that pique my interest just to experience them, but my 2002 Bird isn't going anywhere unless I cannot ride it for some reason!

I don't believe that the Bird will ever be obsolete. Taking it to it's limits was beyond the capabilities of most riders back in the nineties and that hasn't changed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have yet to own or ride a 4 cylinder bike I did not like, the Blackbird (still own), Honda Nighthawk (owned), Honda 750F (owned), Vmax (1st gen owned), Magna (owned), Busa, Kawa, but the bird is special. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I'm not one for visual satisfaction, hell I had a Vmax THE second ugliest bike I ever saw, right behind the Busa (with the hump back) But the Busa with a rear seat just may find a home with me when or if the bird dies before me. At 70 pushing 71, it may outlast me :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts