Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with UK insurance companies? My policy last year was for £101. They offer to renew it for £158.
I looked at price comparisons sites online and found that my existing insurer could offer me the same policy for £112. I rang them up and they honoured this, but you have to question their damn cheek and making me ring them to make them give me a decent price.

Same thing happened last year too, except I was so annoyed I switched companies. It's like they don't want to retain us?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah fully comp. I've max'ed my no-claims-bonus and I'm 47 now. I'm not much of a risk.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Full comp for me $850/yr. Over 10 yrs riding. Never made a claim. I may not be a high risk, but the blackbird is.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Bennetts tried to screw me over last month big time, told em to take a long run and jump!
Reinsured with Devitts through the Post Office for half the price of Bennetts renewal quote.
It really is a merry go round in the UK , got fully comprehensive with full RAC European break down and recovery for about £160 .

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yep, a yearly merrygoround or pay more for the same policy.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
You have no idea how good you have it. Insurance is killing the industry here, mainly in Ontario as it's the worst by far. I paid $1100 12 yrs ago just for liability.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You have no idea how good you have it. Insurance is killing the industry here, mainly in Ontario as it's the worst by far. I paid $1100 12 yrs ago just for liability.
Wow, how the hell can they charge so much? that puts my £110 fully comp into perspective.

·
Super Moderator
12,584 Posts
99% of insurance companies in the UK refuse to insure me …………. possibly because they don't like home built supercharged specials :smilebig:

I run a multi bike policy that covers Duck, Daily Bird and the DR800. Just over £300 for all 3 which I don't have a problem with especially since I have European recovery included. Had to laugh when I added the DR, "a what?" …. "a 1990 Suzuki DR800" ………. "that isn't in our database, can you send me some details so our underwriters know what you are trying to insure".

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Wow, how the hell can they charge so much? that puts my £110 fully comp into perspective.
To make more exciting one company will be offering better rates one year, then in 2 years they'll be bought ought by another company and that company will refuse to insure sport bikes. That is one of the big problems, I was with either State Farm or Allstate years ago with the house, tried to get a deal with the car, still more than what I was currently paying and then the agent tells me "we have great rates on bikes." Sport bikes? I ask." Oh no, we don't do sport bikes." Same story over and over.
A lot depends on where you live, there still is some "reasonable " rates out there, by that I mean less than $1000 a yr.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, that's about £550! I'm 47 year old, had my license since I was 24 and live in the sticks. I know this is a low insurance postcode but you're paying nearly 15 times as much?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yep, a yearly merrygoround or pay more for the same policy.
It's the same here in Oz although in some ways it has improved as more smaller players have entered the market in recent years :confused:

Currently insured with Swann Insurance (MC specific insurance) @ $339yr for $3642 insured value, No Claim Bonus protection, I'm on Rating 1 at 53 years old, gear cover included, with a $475 basic excess & $250 theft excess and it's paid monthly.

I know what you're saying though as I was paying over $400 for ~$5500 about 4 years ago when I had my last accident, when I claimed I asked about my gear as the renewal I had mentioned being covered but the guy I talked to said no as my policy was an old one :crap: :(

What the guy did do though was cancel the policy and do me a new one for a slightly higher insured amount at a lower premium including gear cover :thumb: :clap:

On a similar note are you guys required to have accident insurance as I know I've seen it on TV shows where they ask if someone has insurance but I'm not sure if that is accident insurance or injury insurance?

Here in Western Australia we aren't required to have accident insurance but do have Compulsory Third Party injury insurance included in our Rego via the Govt ;)
I pay $386.20yr (the Licence component is $77.50 but the is CTP $271.30 plus a few other ancillary costs)

Over east they do things a bit differently in as far as their CTP is separate from the licence fees and they have to chase around to get CTP coverage which I believe makes it more expensive as they are at the mercy of a few large private companies chasing a $ :hmm:

We also don't have yearly roadworthy inspections either which is another thing that has been privatised over east and has just become a money spinner IMO :nono:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts