Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Could someone help me got a honda blackbird 1999 year lately when the engine gets warm it starts to tap when in neutral and when in gear with clutch in its starts to tap But when I鈥檓 riding it disappears the tapping I鈥檝e had 3 garages say not to worry about it 馃but it gets louder when the engine is hot and it鈥檚 embarrassing tbh anyone got any ideas 馃挕 thanks

Registered
Hi. Could someone help me got a honda blackbird 1999 year lately when the engine gets warm it starts to tap when in neutral and when in gear with clutch in its starts to tap But when I鈥檓 riding it disappears the tapping I鈥檝e had 3 garages say not to worry about it 馃but it gets louder when the engine is hot and it鈥檚 embarrassing tbh anyone got any ideas 馃挕 thanks
Mine has a bit of a knock as well but it's really hard to say "don't worry about it" without hearing it. Can you upload a video?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine has a bit of a knock as well but it's really hard to say "don't worry about it" without hearing it. Can you upload a video?
Ohh you can hear it when it gets warm mate 馃馃憤馃徎and it gets loader as it heats up

Registered
When clutch pulls in it stops that鈥檚 all I no
Bird has a noisy clutch, if it's bad you could have damaged clutch plates but not necessarily

Registered
As BBCanada says, noisy clutch. They all do it, some worse than others. Made worse if you have a low idle. Increase your idle speed a little.

Registered
:D...... yeah mine makes a horrible bunch of noises when I first fire it up, before it runs smoothly on fast idle.

My fuel is probably stale as I haven't been riding mine regularly..... but your engine tapping could be almost anything.

Has the bike had it's throttle bodies balanced recently? Fresh plugs, oil, filters etc? Any issues or repairs or recent shop work that might have caused the noise? What mileage have you got on the 99BB? The clutch might be knackered from hard work and big miles......

There is a thread on here somewhere that talks about synchro'ing the balancer shafts (the procedure is in the workshop manual in the reference section of the forum - worth a read anyway, and may help zero in on your engine's particular tapping noise).

I have a tapping noise in mine - but I know what it is - because my mechanic and I set one of the valves slightly wider than spec while we were changing the cam chain and tensioner (to avoid pulling the cams again just to set the valve clearance).... I haven't done enough kms since to get the valve to wear back into spec again :rolleyes:..... but when it does, it will stop tapping, and I can safely ignore it as I know what it is.

Try setting the warmed up idle to 1200 rpm - that's what I have run on my 05BB since new.

(y)

PS.... might not be your issue, but has your Fuel Pressure Regulator been leaking fuel into the engine oil? Maybe time to check for this as the tapping noise could be early stage bearing wear....... does the oil smell of fuel? Is the hose from the FPR wet with fuel? Has the BB lost power/run rougher than normal/soot up no2 & 3 spark plugs? Check the workshop manual for symptoms.... just in case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts