Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the sake of getting as much assistance as possible I'll explain what I got.
Attached find the LED strip light I switched the standard for. Much brighter all aspects.
During install I shorted my Dash lights and running lights. And first thing to check was the fuse stack which I didn't see was popped. So went thru entire setup cleaning up axillary wire connections and OEM using dielectric grease. Without dash lights I DID get the strip Brake and turn signals on so added the top 2.5" as a tail light and connected to a switched line. (along with an LED behind it for the license plate illum.) Loved the brightness!
After a couple rides (No dash) and some advice to "check fuses" and sure enough 3rd down that I first checked a week ago; 10A was actually out.
Its labeled "IND.METER TAIL.ILUM".
Upon replacing the fuse very happy to get all dash lights and running lights up front back on..
BUT LED rear strip is now out!
No directions came but found a couple online with basically same definitions but different wording.
I just tried reconnecting with this legend and no go.
My signals the two yellow were obvious and had worked with fuse out.
Black to my green for ground. (Seen earth, and negative used in their charts.)
Leaving Red and White which I tried both ways to no avail.
Searched electrical schematics past few days but cant read em. More of a construction guy.
I haven't messed with the two vacant plugs in the rubber boot?
Thanks for any help.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Hi Jetfire,

Sorry to hear you have light/ wiring hiccups.

Firstly wiring diagram would truly help you. From you picture it looks like you are on a US spec carbie. What year? I'll have a rummage to see if I can find a workable diagram.

Secondly irrespective of the above you ought to be able to sort this in stages just by testing things.

1. Great that you spotted the blown fuse and dash/ DRLs ate back on.
2. Not so great that strip is now off. So firstly I'd disconnect it totally and with a 12v source test that it is still working as a stand alone unit. If so test whether polarity makes a difference to each circuit and labell wires up for the avoidance of doubt!
3. If you still have your old unit, test that in the same way (off the bike) and if it's working fully, reconnect it to your bike and see if it still works once reinstalled i.e. you know there's nothing wrong with your bikes wiring. Did you takes photos before originally stripping it out? If so that'll help you confirm you're connected properly (else it is sadly down to the wiring diagram to verify correct connection if it doesn't work when on the bike but works when tested while off the bike).

4. Depending upon what you find when you do 2. & 3. will dictate next step(s).

Did you install an LEB friendly relay? Just in case that's another "change" to verify not cross wired. I suspect not but worth asking nevertheless. If you have a multimeter that'll help verufy your +ve verses -ve wires. Hreat too to check continuity (i.e. no broken wires).

Also any other wiring changes (you mentioned tail light for index plate). If so, worth unwinding that too (do 2. on it).

Hope that gets you started in identifyimg whats not set up right or what's nolonger working.

Rgds Mallow1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great Mallow1. thanks.
The added tail light is tapped into the switched head light circuit and headlight was changed to two LEDs bulbs.
I do have the removed unit and will easily test with that because it came as a plug and play, same white three wire power and two yellows for signals.
Not real savvy with meter although have a few and mostly use for basics with charging issues and battery check.
The extra LEDs installed in orifices are separate fused and now cleaned up effectively.
So easy to test removed taillight and will start there to see how existing wires are.
Unsure how to test the new strip but will search it. With the diagram I would assume just the power and ground would show us something so will go there 2nd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WooHOO! Your advice worked. Direct color connected old unit and boom no worries.
Set it aside and pulled the wires up from strip using extensions attached to battery.
And waLA! Their legend was messed! sewn up and tucked and ready to go. Sweet! Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
So pleased for you that it's now fixed and we've managed to avoid you spending unecessary troubleshooting time chasing potential other reasons for it not working.

It's usually well worth stepping back, confirming you're starting from a known point and then taking simple steps one by one.

Well done Jetfire. Now get back to having fun on your bird.

Rgds M1
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top