Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install the Suzuki bandit LH switch which requires the use of switchback LED’s for the turn signals. I’d like to get the socket size and brand/model of LED if someone knows that off the top of their head. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Must use clear lenses. Look to ebay for them.
LED flasher replaces the stock one, yes, I think that same site has them.
FYI: installing the Suzuki switch requires some light soldering and circuit testing abilities.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
... Needs LED compatible flasher unit.
I used this relay unit… meant front LED indicators flashed at the right rate and still my (then) rear old filament bulb indicators also flashed at the right rate at the same time. I've since upgraded to LED rear indicators too and this relay is still doing its job properly.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Point to note re clear lenses. You'll see the bulb inside. I'm currently using smoked lenses (avoids this see inside issue) but before that I used mirrored bulbs so seeing inside looked neat.

On UK BBs (which don't have the drl dual function found in US BB switchgear) with clear lenses some use orange coloured bulbs… gives a fried egg look to the indicators. Using a mirrored bulb avoids that.

For switchback led bulbs you'll see the white and the orange led elements. I believe you can get mirrored led switchback bulbs.

All the above lead me to eventually swap to using the ProjectR DRL units sold on eBay. I went smoked lenses. I love this set up in looks and functionality.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Fyi some of the eBay sellers include the relay in their DRL offering, others don't if I recall correctly. So if you or anyone else follows me down this route...shop carefully.

I'll see if I can find pics of mirrorred switchback LEDs….

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Remember for US models, the bulb is always burning, either white, or flashing amber. You can only see what the bulb looks like when the bike is turned off.
Mallow is correct, smoked lenses ok too.
Ok to go LED at rear of bike with existing lenses, use amber or red bulbs as appropriate.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have ordered everything and am excited to get underway. Thank you everyone for your indispensable help. Might have a couple questions when assembly begins!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Wishing you fun and success Binto. Looking forward to seeing some pictures and fielding any queries where and if I can help. I know how much fun I had and the satisfaction when it all came together.

Rgds M1

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wishing you fun and success Binto. Looking forward to seeing some pictures and fielding any queries where and if I can help. I know how much fun I had and the satisfaction when it all came together.

Rgds M1
Thank you sir! I love projects like this, you have to be thoughtful, careful, and deliberate. Proceed slowly and just do it once. The BB is such a good girl.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Someone on this site recently did this and offered up a wiring diagram. Don't know who, sorry. A good search might pull it up. I have done this but eventually threw away all my notes.
Here is a pic of my testing stage. Obviously, the Suzuki multi pin must be cut off the switch loom and replaced with the Honda piece.
Electrical wiring Personal protective equipment Art Wire Audio equipment

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Someone on this site recently did this and offered up a wiring diagram. Don't know who, sorry...
Skadee in USA did a step by step inc wiring diagram and splicing loom to loom (wire by wire) illustration last year (Dec 2020) using I think a Suzuki Bandit 1250 switchgear.

Look into posts #20 upwards (though the whole thread is worth a read).

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Thank you sir! I love projects like this, you have to be thoughtful, careful, and deliberate. Proceed slowly and just do it once. The BB is such a good girl.
Wholly agree. I not only bought the parts but also a donor BB left switchgear to use it's loom as a donor for the splicing. That way my bike was still on the road during the build phase and I photographed everything so could be sure I understood where everything went (before during and after). I continuity checked each circuit before I ever then installed it on the bike… as by then a simple plug n play hybrid replacement.

Sadly I lost the pics in a phone crash and my wiring diagrams were hand scribbled so pretty unintelligible to third parties without extra explanation.

It sounds as if you are all over this re intended implementation. Rem to add a bit of extra slack to the loom length if you intend to add bar risers at any stage (helpful future proofing).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Someone on this site recently did this and offered up a wiring diagram. Don't know who, sorry. A good search might pull it up. I have done this but eventually threw away all my notes.
Here is a pic of my testing stage. Obviously, the Suzuki multi pin must be cut off the switch loom and replaced with the Honda piece.
Thanks. I have surely read the string and I will surely read it a few more times! It is all such good info, I always feel like I’m just sopping up the gravy left behind by those with real talent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts