Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Re: Surging when warm ??? Out of ideas!! Help

Rocket,
I'm not 100% on the workings of the ECU, but given the carb versions lack of sensors I'd go out on that limb and say "yes the TPS is of major importance" in the function of the machine. Timing, and the ignition advance might be set by throttle position only rather then by engine rpm signal,...or maybe a combination of both inputs. The engine has a rpm output to the tach on the dash, but I'm not sure that's a direct route from the ignition system or if the tach is back fed from an output on the ECU. Could you run the spare TPS on the machine and see what happens, or are the spare set not a XX piece?

Tony

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Tony. That's my plan but just about to head off for a few days. The spare tps is on another carb bank I use for spares. They are a full xx set. There was a marked difference in the linear scale. The second tps was much smoother to climb the numbers. The original tps bumped up and down the numbers until wide open. Strangely the numbers bouncing is at part throttle too.. There may be some light here !

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Tony the tacho appears to take its feed from the ecu

·
Registered
2,283 Posts

(The spare tps is on another carb bank)
(There was a marked difference in the linear scale.)

Greetings Rocketeer,

Truly U have found the trouble.

That's how the measurement read when I tested the one on my outboard,,,must be linear and not jump.

Years ago I repaired arcade games,,,all of the driving games had this type of devise on all the foot pedels and steering. Was always calibrating or changing the sensors
Stex, out.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

I'd like to think so.. Now these are obviously finicky little things. Is it a case of simply unbolt and replace. They appear to be mounted to a bracket. Now I could just undo the bracket and swap or would it be better to lift the sender itself. It appears to need setting up after? Manual a bit sketchy on this !

·
Registered
3,996 Posts

I believe the idea would be to take the bracket the TPS is attached to and remove the complete assembly as pictured below. The throttle shaft will index into the TPS but you must ensure the TPS is in the "Throttle closed" position to be sure that the unit aligns with the throttle shaft that drives it. I do not have access to my FSM so I can't see what they relate to the install of the unit. I don't think there are any adjustments to be made once it is aligned to the shaft.
A 1997 XX TPS is pictureD below in the link.

Capteur T.P.S HONDA CBR 1100 XX 97 Equipement Moto Moselle - leboncoin.fr

Tony

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Tony that makes sense. My spare carb bank has no throttle cable or idle adjust attached. I have marked the bracket and removed the tps from these. It's three screws that hold the bracket to the carb bank. Once the screws are undone it is obvious. The sensor does indeed have an alignment key (male on the sender) and the shaft has the female part of the key. It is fairly obvious once removed. Ok, off for a few days. Update after the weekend guys !Thanks so far, all of this helps an awful lot.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Ok here goes..... Result!Unplugged tps. She is as sweet as a nut without it. It must be huge spots on the resistor giving grief. New one ready to fit. But a hearty test ride showed lovely and smooth. Reconnect tps and surging back again. Thankyou one and all. Hope this helps someone else

·
Registered
2,283 Posts

Result!Unplugged tps. She is as sweet as a nut without it. It must be huge spots on the resistor giving grief. New one ready to fit. But a hearty test ride showed lovely and smooth. Reconnect tps and surging back again. Thankyou one and all. Hope this helps someone else[

Greetings Rocketeer,

So Your saying when reconnecting the TPS and it all go's haywire? with out it all is smooth?
With out it all is smooth??
Stex, out

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
To clarify. If I disconnect the old tps at the plug by the carb the bike runs sweet and smooth. If I reconnect the old tps the surging is back. New tps waiting to be fitted

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
So did you fit a new TPS off another rack. Or did you swap the whole rack. What did you do to install it any measurement taken before and after or did you just bolt it on?

·
Registered
354 Posts
dvd plate
if you do a search more recently i wrote a detailled report about this situation symptoms , measurement and a solution
as the tps is no longer available i have had several pots with sub harness made up with the correct ohm per degree throw to solve the issue
with a little bit of hand work for a bracket it can be fitted to the main frame and a slot filed in the shaft to mate with the flat on the shaft
paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
dvd plate
if you do a search more recently i wrote a detailled report about this situation symptoms , measurement and a solution
as the tps is no longer available i have had several pots with sub harness made up with the correct ohm per degree throw to solve the issue
with a little bit of hand work for a bracket it can be fitted to the main frame and a slot filed in the shaft to mate with the flat on the shaft
paul
thanks so much if you can send me a link or send the report or just tell me what to search for that would be super helpful:D

·
Registered
354 Posts
i think if you type in cbrpaul and tps then it shuld pop up the search engine is rather clever.. its posted about 6 months ago or so

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Checked mine today while I was pulling the Wideband2 to send it back. Mines riveted in place

21 - 40 of 47 Posts