Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi Guys
as per my earlier posts ive been working on my venerable 97 candy red bike
earlier on it had surging and fuel starvation problems
the surging was cured by repairing the throttle sensor pot
the starvation was cured by
assembling the fairing and undertray and side covers very very carefully so they mate perfectly
making sure all the baffles were in prefect position
sealing any gaps in the side covers to the frame with duct tape so no air will force its way in
i discovered that the 97 and 98 models do not use air ducts even if the honda parts list say they do
but they do use a air guide that keeps the air going thorugh the nose intakes directed to the oil cooler only with no seepage
the earlier owner had deleted this part and chucked it away
i am looking for one as this is useful to stop air leakage to the baffles
if anyone has one im interested
looks like this
https://picclick.fr/Convogliatore-presa-daria-frontale-honda-cbr-1100-xx-143228001018.html

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi Guys
the guy in italy still had it so ill get it in 10 days ill report when fitted should be all hunky dory then

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi beesty
the problem with the tps on the carbs is that the first 1/3RD of the track gets used most and deteriorates
what i did was
extract the tps ( the screws are so tight i needed to lift up the carbs a little to access the last screw , now they are not too tight and can be taken out at will)
dont loose the little "designed in black to be lost easily "adapter spigot
you will notice that the tps is about 2 cm long
at midway there is nothing inside expect the drive shaft at the center
so you get a drill press and tiny 1.5 mm drill an drill an access hole just deep enough to penetrate the casing
then you inject contact cleaner using a syringe and bung the hole
then you wiggle the pot about 50 times back and forth
if you connect a multi meter you will see the part that is open circuit normally gradually come back to life
as compared to my new one i had a min of about 40 ohm and a max of about 3800 ohm
this feeding into the spark controllers and advanges the spark on opening the throttle
let me know if that worked for you

·
Registered
7,607 Posts
I'm not experiencing any issues yet (knock on wood) just some fyi for myself in the future. Didn't know if you had found a replacement. Factory solution is to pull the whole assembly and replace them ughh lol.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
hi Guys
as per my earlier posts ive been working on my venerable 97 candy red bike
earlier on it had surging and fuel starvation problems
the surging was cured by repairing the throttle sensor pot
the starvation was cured by
assembling the fairing and undertray and side covers very very carefully so they mate perfectly
making sure all the baffles were in prefect position
sealing any gaps in the side covers to the frame with duct tape so no air will force its way in
i discovered that the 97 and 98 models do not use air ducts even if the honda parts list say they do
but they do use a air guide that keeps the air going thorugh the nose intakes directed to the oil cooler only with no seepage
the earlier owner had deleted this part and chucked it away
i am looking for one as this is useful to stop air leakage to the baffles
if anyone has one im interested
looks like this
https://picclick.fr/Convogliatore-presa-daria-frontale-honda-cbr-1100-xx-143228001018.html
Depending on which Air Guide Plate (baffle) you need? I have pictures of the upright baffle that can be used as a template for making your own. The horizontal baffle (lower unit) I’ve never removed so can’t help with that one at the moment. The parts number are the same for both sides of the fairing so you simply flip the piece to fit the location.

As as far as sealing up the fairing joints go. I’ve only ever installed my fairing parts in the standard “fit and bolt up” fashion and never had a performance issue. Extra sealing has never been required. Extra sealing is not a bad thing mind you, unless you see an issue when all the Air Guide Plates are in place. That I guess remains to be seen.

T.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi Tiger
i managed to get one from italy for about 25 eur plus shipping
the issue was then that the plug clips were of no use as the chinky fairing didnt have the appropriate holes
so i used mastic to hold it in place
its running like a train now and im happy i sorted out the issues and found the part

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unfortunately honday in their infinate wisond deleted the part supply so the only route is fix the pot or find a rare as hens teeth replacement
i have done both so i m good for a while
paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts