Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks here is a fix for those stripped out airbox screws. You'll need 7 M5 x 0.8 mm Thread, 30 mm Long allen head cap screws and flange nuts. then take the box apart and drill out the lower sections holes with a number 12 drill. Use an allen wrech and spin the screws up into the box. Put the lower back on the throttle bodies and walla place the cover on spin down the nuts and tighten then snug and you're fixed.

6206.jpeg 20191115_153441[1].jpg

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,898 Posts
That's good to know. So far I haven't stripped any out. I am careful not to torque them to hard... plus my bike doesn't have 200,000 miles on it yet!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep if your careful about setting them back in the original cut threads you're safe.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have stripped out a few of mine as well, I just used a slightly larger wood screw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take a piece of stiff wire, coat it with your favorite glue or epoxy, rub some onto the sides of the hole and let dry/cure. I've used wood glue, JB Weld and other adhesives for various stuff with stripped holes.

Beestoy's idea is elegant and permanent, I like it. Mine's the quick & easy no parts hunting method.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok folks here is a fix for those stripped out airbox screws. You'll need 7 M5 x 0.8 mm Thread, 30 mm Long allen head cap screws and flange nuts. then take the box apart and drill out the lower sections holes with a number 12 drill. Use an allen wrech and spin the screws up into the box. Put the lower back on the throttle bodies and walla place the cover on spin down the nuts and tighten then snug and you're fixed.

View attachment 120567 View attachment 120565
Nice one.
I don't know if this is an issue at all, but if the Allen head cap screws want to loosen themselves off as your tightening on the nuts (or in general) you could use some of those star lock washers on the screws before you put them in from the bottom.

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Skaircro
The drill size I recommend makes them a little tight. So that hasn't been a problem but the star washers would be good insurance. I'd recommend the internal locking version.

https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-washers

[h=3]Metric Internal-Tooth Lock Washers[/h]

Reactions: Skaircro

·
Registered
268 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts