Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've laid the BB up over winter to do some jobs on it. (TBH, all three of my bikes are laid up up with the batteries on chargers while we're on lock-down here.) Anyway I had been having a lot of issues with the stator and R/R so both were replaced a while ago. I messed up routing the wires through the rubber grommets on the generator cover which meant that the wire from the stator was too short to reach the R/R. Ended up soldering extra wire onto each phase wire to make it long enough. The extra wire I soldered on is 'decent' but I chose it in the basis that it looked the right size. So now I want to replace it with the wire of the correct gauge, amps and voltage rating. Any help on the wire specs would be appreciated. By the way the stator looks to be in good condition. No sign of burning.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Measure the wire diameter with callipers. If its the same or slightly bigger you should be fine. If you haven't done so already and can solder, then I recommend connecting the output from the R/R directly to the battery with 2 @ 10 gauge wires with a 30 amp fuse on the + side.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fizzy, yes the R/R is wired straight to the battery bypassing the loom. I'm not great at electrics. I can find stator wiring extensions (just what I need) on sale in the US but nothing that specific in the UK. The company I contacted about some wire wanted to know amps and voltage. The manual tells me 460 kW for power. Now how to apply ohms law to 3 phases and VAC?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Don't overthink it. If your wire is same diameter as factory stator wire you will be fine. Good soldered joints covered with heat shrink tubing and correct crimping of connectors just as important. Make sure there is minimal stress on the soldered joints as they are somewhat brittle and can crack over time. Out of curiosity, how did you lose wire length inside the stator cover? Not a lot of room in there. :unsure:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It wasn't inside the generator cover itself. The wires weren't long enough to reach the R/R. I bought a stator that didn't come with a grommet and connector already attached. I didn't realise how difficult it would be to thread the wire from the stator through the grommet. By the time I figured I needed a tool to do it I had mangled a good 6" of the wire. Rick's Motorsports Electrics in the US were very helpful. They sourced me a new grommet (couldn't get one anywhere) and made me realise the sort of tool you need to thread the wires through the grommet. They do their own tool for this but I managed to improvise with a piece of steel tubing of the right diameter. The moral of the story is don't throw away your old burnt out stator. You may need something off it like the grommet and you may even might want to get it rewound!

TBH, just looking at the job I did before it looks pretty good (if I do say so myself). Soldered and shrink wrapped nicely. It's just I used some wire I had around and I'd like to use something a bit better. I'm a bit OCD like that. I've ordered 3 metres of 12, 13 and 14 gauge thin walled single core automotive wire as it was so cheap. I'll use whichever one looks to do the job best.

·
Super Moderator
12,716 Posts
For future reference to those in the UK you will be able to find most electrical 'stuff' here.
Used them for years, very reliable.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Anytime an appliance or tool dies, I always cut off the cord. Usually contains 6'-8' of decent quality stranded wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts