Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, it's been a while. Back on the bike now most days and loving it. Just shy of two months from now, I'm going out to some bike event at a local dragstrip (1/8 mile :crap:) with some buddies so I'm prepping up for a grudge match. I've beaten this Busa 3 times now out on the street from the light through 135 mph by a length or two. I don't want to take any chances this time since it will be official so I want to make sure everyone knows who has the fastest bike in the company. :evilaugh:

Some work I already have planned is to check valve clearances, sync throttle bodies, upgrade FPR, and install PCIII (finally). I'm also debating about dropping a tooth on the front sprocket which will put me at 16/45. I know this will give a little more umph off the line but will it be worth it? I don't want to end up chasing down my front end for the first 60. Anybody else tried out this setup and can give some good advice on how she'll feel?

·
Super Moderator
8,381 Posts
Get one and try it first. Its gonna be violent off the line. if you can keep it controlled it should be even quicker.

Reactions: militiascene

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ok guys. I am looking for some traction. I have 16/48 gears on right now. I weight in at a whopping 140 lbs all geared up. I have new pr4s on and I can't get them to grab. I was thinking of going to a 46 tooth in the back but I can't find one. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
A 16t will be lots of fun and you shouldn't have a problem with wheelies,especially since you still run a 45 rear.But do get used to it first before you challenge anyone,everyone is different.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Ok guys. I am looking for some traction. I have 16/48 gears on right now. I weight in at a whopping 140 lbs all geared up. I have new pr4s on and I can't get them to grab. I was thinking of going to a 46 tooth in the back but I can't find one. Any ideas?
Get rid of that 48,or put a 17 back on the front.Sprocket selection is crap in Canada,you usually have to wait.46's are out there,I'll have a look.
The PR4 doesn't grab on the street or at the dragstrip? If its the street not much you can do,strip-drop pressure to as low as 20 p.s.i. and getting rid of that crazy gearing combo will help too.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
There is a drag thread around here somewhere. My carbie is stock including the gears. I'm quiet happy with it. I can launch HARD at 5k rpm, no clutch feathering. The front does come up, about the time it gets back on the ground or close to it the rpm are up enough to continue keeping the front tire off the ground till the end of 2nd. There is no feathering the throttle or clutch to keep it down, I just ride it out. Never been beaten. I believe the 18t front is a little better in the 1/4 (IIRC from the thread), 16T actually slowed me down off the line because I had to feather the clutch just right or I'd be feathering the throttle. Either way, with the 16T it was way too close running R1s. With the 17t they are far enough behind by the the time I hit 3rd that I can and have actually missed the shift and still came out in front. Never found anyone with a busa that actually had the nerve to try. For some reason I always end up playing with guys on R1s. They always want to "go again" with a rolling start... of courses I respectfully decline and point out that if they can't control their bike off the line maybe they need a 600 lol

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks commrad. So you think I should go back to stock for best hookup off the line. I have searched a lot of the drag threads but that is not what I am doing. I just want the tire to hook rather that smoke when I crack the throttle.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Thanks commrad. So you think I should go back to stock for best hookup off the line. I have searched a lot of the drag threads but that is not what I am doing. I just want the tire to hook rather that smoke when I crack the throttle.

Greetings Fazer:

It seems your a throttle junkie as I.
I'm sure my 4k rear tire life is do to this action. I don't smoke but it must be slipping.

So as Commrad says an 18T is the ticket throttling up when the Red light changes to Green for less wheel spin...(the light thing was me)

I'm back to a 17 now, tried a 16 which in 6th at expressway speeds 65-75 no down shifting to 5th for a sudden burst of speed, would just rip it in 6th. Never tried an 18 though.
Just buy a 16 and 18 then U will know...nutten like the school of seat of your pants.:)
Be Safe.

STex, out

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
No, I have no idea how you ride, what tires you use (even if I did I have prob never ran them), how much power you are putting to the ground, your weight ect ect ect......

Don't get me wrong, even with stock gears I can not do a rolling start at 20-30 mph, I smoke the tire.

The 17t works for me because of the way I launch. When I dump the clutch the bike launches forward and the rpms go down, by the time the rpms have stopped going down to match the speed of the bike they settle somewhere around the 4k rpm mark so the bike immediate starts to pull with a decent amount of power after recovering from the launch. With the 18 I can defiantly tell that the does not leave the line as quickly and when it recovers from the launch it about a second to come back into an rpm rage where it is pulling hard again. Once rolling the 18 feels like it pulls harder though. (my bikes, I don't have the slightest clue how yours would behave).

keep in mind I am playing around with folks over short distances (1/8 mile or less to keep speeds down) so the launch is crucial because you don't have the extra time for better gearing to make up for it (like the 18t and 1/4 mile).

Like Stex suggests, try a 16 and 18 and see what you like. JT sprockets are dirt cheap on fleabay and if you really like either you can track down a better sprocket of the same tooth count.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
And a nice short burn out will ANY tire hook up!
You would never catch me with a sport/touring tire ever but it that's what ya got,use it the best you can.You're also adding about a lb of weight which is huge when you're talking reciprocating mass.

·
Super Moderator
8,381 Posts
With that gearing your definitely going to have to change to a softer compound tire. Maybe a power would be a better choice. Your trying to hook up on a stock bike profile. There's a reason they run slicks besides the compounds. The contact patch is very small. So few choices here. One softer compound 2 heat it up before your run. 3 throttle control

·
Registered
281 Posts
I changed the rear to a 45 tooth. It is getting better. Next I will drop the tire pressure to 38. Put a little more heat and contact patch on the tire.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts