Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've dealt with the whole stator/regulator issue before. New ricks stator and regulator a few months ago. I know my Bike completely died after the speedo & tack stopped working. Ok, few months later after fixing that i have the same issues with the cluster but come to realize its when I squeeze the front brake lever. The guages fall flat when I use the front brake, then come back on in 10 seconds if i don't use the front brake. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
8,128 Posts
Check all of your grounds. What happens if you disconnect the switch leads? There's 2 wires on the front of the switch under the mastercylinder body

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check tomorrow morning. You could be onto something though with a ground because obviously it has voltage since it comes back on. What should I be looking for, the same results? Thanks for the quick reply beestoys

·
Super Moderator
8,128 Posts
Just make sure they are all clean
Battery is the main one. But there's also one down by the tank. There is one in our FI's. It's a ground block near the battery box area. It's a bulge in the main harness. Do a thread search for the harness fix. It should show you the location of it. As I said not sure of it's in the carby harness but I'd check. This is a big block of grounds that once it starts corroding will give you fits like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The switch terminals were clean didn't look corroded. I checked my battery and it was 11.26volts, bike started then about a minute later guages dropped. Turned bike off tried to restart and just clicked, took battery to autozone for a charge and came back 12.31volts. Put it in and guages never dropped. Wondering if I didn't turn my key to lock and it was in acc for about 12 hours. Guess I'll just have to get a good voltmeter to mount like everyone else. I'll just be happy it was the battery and not stator or regulator again. I'm still curious about the wire loom issue. I'm definitely going to have to look into that when I get some free time. Free time and truck driver don't go together though lol. I had to do all that with my 85 wing long time ago. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,128 Posts
The symptoms are exactly like dead battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I might be placing a call to Ricks motorsports to check about any warranty. With my battery charged I'm getting 12.04v at idle and 12.24v at 5k across the battery terminals. :unsure: I bet I don't have 1k on it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
First up, are you absolutely sure the battery is good. A bad one can act like an electrical black hole and give readings like you show.
Ricks website shows 2 R/R's. One claims to be "mosfet technology", the other OEM style. Which one do you have?
As far as the stator, first check the connector(s), they melt. Next, you can test it. Disconnect the 3 pin connector, check the voltage all 3 ways. Should be approx 60V at 5000prm and all the same.
Check this out Home for excellent info on the subject.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts