Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the morning Changing the Air Filter and Spark Plugs on the bike today. Purchased this about two years ago and haven't ridden this one much. Job took about 2 1/2 hours with breaks and interruptions. I found a YouTube video from "MotoSera" which was excellent. Complete step by step removal and re-install. Glad I did it as the plugs were just regular NGKs not the correct Irridiums. Took it for a spin and seems to be running just fine. Haven't done a plug change since my "98" BIRD quite a while back.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi Bentleyss,

I now have standard NGK plugs in my 05FI as I don't do enough miles each year to justify using iridiums at their price.

The standard plugs are just as good, and last for about 8k miles....which is years away at my rate of usage. I should get back on my BB as it is such a nice thing to ride....though I have become used to radar cruise, blind spot alerts, autonomous braking, and LED everything. The BB is still a great bike to ride, but I am the weak link.....not as flexible as I once was, and those Helibars just seem to move further forward every year :eek::(:LOL:. Luckily I have the V4 Multistrada to keep me circulating (y).

:D

Reactions: bentleyss

·
Registered
934 Posts
Standard plugs for the carb bike were never iridium.
The iridium upgrade is done by many carb BB owners
+1 I believe the OEM were called "platinum" plugs, a slight upgrade from bog standard car type plugs but not Iridium's :unsure:
The original owner of my bike had just replaced the OEM plugs with Iridium's when I bought it (2006/38 000km's) as he'd done an ~7500km round trip to Phillip Island for the MGP ;)
Best bit was he threw in a bunch of spares including another set of Iridium plugs which finally put in the old girl @ ~146k and the previous set didn't look much different to the new plugs :oops:

·
Registered
602 Posts
+1 I believe the OEM were called "platinum" plugs, a slight upgrade from bog standard car type plugs but not Iridium's :unsure:
The original owner of my bike had just replaced the OEM plugs with Iridium's when I bought it (2006/38 000km's) as he'd done an ~7500km round trip to Phillip Island for the MGP ;)
Best bit was he threw in a bunch of spares including another set of Iridium plugs which finally put in the old girl @ ~146k and the previous set didn't look much different to the new plugs :oops:
Cheers and thanks.....I had forgotten about that - the platinums were good for the prescribed 45k km then I could notice less range etc. It stands to reason iridiums lasting 100k + KMs as the car world doesn't schedule plug changes before then.

(y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts