Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well lads, its been a couple seasons and sorry for the ghostin! Remodel took me down. Rode some but not enough. Been commuting with the low covid traffic.
Yesterday I was on the way home and thought the knock was the music but when powering out of a turn heard it again! Turned off the tunes and listened and looked down at chain. Appeared to move with the knock. So gently eased on home. Getting ready to pull the front sprocket cover to see If anything shows. Just turning the wheel doesnt produce any issue it was only under any power. Coasting was no worry.
I remembered early morning commute I had a very random missed shift but hadnt heard any issue till later on the way home.
Dang.
Like the new digs here guys!

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,864 Posts
I have been wondering where you have been. You and the Irish Bandit disappeared about the same time. Nice to hear you're ok. Wasn't sure if Bigfoot came and took out the Northwest Bird riders...
Hope that knock is something simple to fix.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey XXGUY, thanks, havn't seen anyone for couple seasons. This hickup spoiling my party back into the Blackbird re ignition!
I started rip tearing last night and hoping I can get some good feedback what may of broke?
When I got the cover off I felt the front sprocket and it felt a little loose. But bolt still secure. With it removed i see a few metal specks which are scary! The gear turns both directions by hand maybe 1/4 till it stops with a knock similar to what I heard when applying power to it. Again coasting or off power nothing but with tension knock knock knock. Leaning over i saw chain respond to the knock. Damn! Cleanup of grease build next for sure.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Look at the red dust escaping around the thrust washer! That used to be part of the sprocket. The splines (which look ok in pic) should be packed with some kind of anti seize grease. Even without seeing it, I say you need a new sprocket. Can you take a pic of it off the bike?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Jet
That red dust is the result of the 2 hardened surfaces running against each other dry. Very good possibility that that is your knocking sound as well. Pack it with molly grease and you'll be good.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,864 Posts
I second the molybdenum grease!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jetfire

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow guys, when first got her I went thru lots of vibration issues and finally sorted to new chain super sprox and the rubber front. Its been awesome for the past 20,000 miles with no bar weights and aftermarket skeleton pegs so with no new vibration I wouldnt of thought any issue was developing. With the pics I see some wear on the font. What you think? The chain photo wouldt load but is on below. It shows little wear but has some miles. I've babies that thing like a child! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
That's 20K miles? Wow. Your only mistake was not greasing and then regreasing the splines. If as you say there is 1/4" play in the front sprocket, change when convenient. Rear sprocket looks like it will last forever at this rate. If everyone got this kind of mileage, the chain and sprocket makers would all go bust.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Fizzy, here's a short video. Is the main supposed to move this much? The 1/4 turn was referring to it, the main drive spline vs just the sprocket.
Shoot! How do I attach a short video?I'll go study the new site.
To summarize what i filmed; slipped sprocket on and it rattles just a little in a loose fit. But on main spline is 1/4 turn.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ok, spline will rotate 1/4 turn back and forth with the bike IN GEAR, sounds about right. Sprocket is just a little bit loose on spline, got it. In which case, keep on rolling with all existing parts.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Second fizzy. Pack the center with moly grease. The install the bolt and sprocket. Let it push out the excess grease and wipe it off. Bolt up the cover and go ryder.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm goin on faith! Thanks guys! Report back tomorrow! PS: Ordered front at least as it looked wee worn.:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks Fizzy, here's a short video. Is the main supposed to move this much? The 1/4 turn was referring to it, the main drive spline vs just the sprocket.
Shoot! How do I attach a short video?I'll go study the new site.
To summarize what i filmed; slipped sprocket on and it rattles just a little in a loose fit. But on main spline is 1/4 turn.
put up a couple of pics with the sprocket on the output spline with a mark on the sprocket to indicate how much the spline rotates in first gear it shouldnt move bugger all, max 1/2 tooth

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Macka20, it was in neutral. But greased the spline and did a test ride all speeds and RPs and no sounds, smooth again! Thanks guys. Hope to ride next couple days a bit longer and will get back if issues. Much appreciation!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just a thought. The chain can move around a bit when on and off the throttle if you have a stretched spot on the chain. Gets almost like a harmonic when it goes from the tight parts to the stretched parts and can flap around a bit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
One test you should do is to hold tension on the chain (eg push up with a lever to take up the slack - like when measuring the chain slack) and then try to pull the link pin off the rear sprocket at the mid point (eg near the adjusters)..... if that roller/pin easily lifts away from the sprocket, then your chain is knackered and will need replacing as soon as you are sick of the noises and vibrations. New sprockets would be wise at this point due wear.

I check my chain slack at several points so I know when/how much of a loose spot has developed...... a badly worn chain and sprockets will create loud clunking noises like you heard...... I've seen/heard bikes go past making horrible graunching/clunking/slapping noises, and it is obvious that the chain is totally fkd and can be seen slapping the center stand/exhaust/swingarm.

The sprocket pics have some distortion so it's hard to tell for sure, but they look like they have some wear on the teeth (once you place a new sprocket in line with an old one, you get a surprise), but they don't appear badly hooked yet...... still, if your chain is buggered...;)...( remember, all chains are not equal...... there are mid priced mid spec chains that will only last your mileage, depending on maintenance, and there are higher priced, high spec chains - like the oem DID Honda supplied on the BB - that will do 60k miles)..... all depends on how many miles you want to do each year as to what's best value for dollar.

(y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts