Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ends of the exhaust has always gotten some soot on them after riding for a while. But after wiping it off there's a part on the exhaust on the right side where it's not coming back. It's been like that since last summer and I'm wondering if something is clogged up or whatever you call it. And sometimes when I turn off the ignition there is kind of a ticking sound coming from the muffler which gradually slows down and eventually stops after a few minutes. The sound only comes from the muffler on the right side. I only noticed the sound a few days ago. Anyone know if I should have this checked out? Sorry for the bad pics but the light is terrible in the garage beneath my apartment building and the bike is blocked in at the moment. And yes, I know I need to clean the bike;)
exhaust 1.jpg
exhaust 2.jpg

·
Registered
911 Posts
She is running rich. What year/model is it? Is your air filter clogged up? I think the ticking sound is normal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stock 2000 model. Air filter was changed in june last year along with plugs and a valve adjustment and I've ridden maybe 1500 km since then so I doubt it's clogged up. I suspect that the fuel pressure regulator should be changed but I've been having trouble getting a hold of one. But I'm wondering about the "clean" area at the end of the exhaust and why it's not getting dirty all over like it used to and like it does on the other side.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,106 Posts
The ticking happens when the muffler is hot and is cooling down as the metal contracts. Heard it on many a bike. If it is fuel injected they run rich from the factory. 1500 km isn't very much and it may take time to re-soot that area. Clean the bike and go for a ride. Then repeat... replace the FPR when you have one sourced as a preventative measure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ticking happens when the muffler is hot and is cooling down as the metal contracts. Heard it on many a bike. If it is fuel injected they run rich from the factory. 1500 km isn't very much and it may take time to re-soot that area. Clean the bike and go for a ride. Then repeat... replace the FPR when you have one sourced as a preventative measure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thanks, I won't worry about the ticking then. The bike's fuel injected and I kinda expected as much. 1500 km is basically nothing and I can't remember when I cleaned away the soot last time but it was probably in september or something, a short time before I put the bike away for the winter. But I'll try to clean the whole area again and see what happens. Thanks a lot :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts