Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice! Im going for the same (similar) colour scheme but I have a titanium Silver frame. I wish it was black like yours.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Here’s what I just did. Looks like we’ve all been at it lately. To get that finish, I started at 240 grit and went all the way up to 2500 grit before a three stage polishing process. It took 16 hours as did it all by hand…there must be something wrong with me!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here’s what I just did. Looks like we’ve all been at it lately. To get that finish, I started at 240 grit and went all the way up to 2500 grit before a three stage polishing process. It took 16 hours as did it all by hand…there must be something wrong with me!
That looks incredible mate, wow!! Damn you for adding to my list of things to do btw, hehe! I spent a good chunk of yesterday hand polishing some rearsets and all the fairing bolts...amazing what some elbow grease and time can achieve eh? :p

·
Registered
518 Posts
WOW!!! Impressive! NOICE!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
That looks incredible mate, wow!! Damn you for adding to my list of things to do btw, hehe! I spent a good chunk of yesterday hand polishing some rearsets and all the fairing bolts...amazing what some elbow grease and time can achieve eh? :p
Thanks mate. My headers got an extreme makeover. I just saw yours in another thread. Should be easier than mine, hopefully. The tops of mine were black, so took ages. Start at 600 or 800 grit automotive and wet sand. Then jump to 1200 then 2000. Just an idea, up to you. You might get away without sanding if you just try Purple metal polish first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks mate. My headers got and extreme makeover. What condition are yours in?
I'll be fitting a full Delkevic system in the near future, but have a few things higher up on the priority list atm. Mine are in surprisingly good condition, at a guess I'd say the original owner had a full system on the bike for most of its life, and refitted the original system when he sold it. I'm the 3rd owner btw.

This is a pic of the headers when I was cleaning the engine...

·
Registered
329 Posts
G’day mate. Hey, I found that product to be pretty savage on fairings. Did you get any black colour on the pad when buffing/applying? When I used it on my blue lower cowls, I noticed I was getting a very light blue colour on the applicator pad so discontinued use and switched to Meguiars polish instead. It was strange as I was only doing it by hand with a soft yellow pad. Started to think there might be a blue colour in the clear coat maybe?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
G’day mate. Hey, I found that product to be pretty savage on fairings. Did you get any black colour on the pad when buffing/applying? When I used it on my lower cowls, I noticed I was getting a light blue colour on the applicator pad so discontinued use and switched to Meguiars polish instead.

No paint transfer on the pad, how did you apply the product, and did you avoid the edges of the fairings, obviously that's where the paint is the thinnest ..

Did you use any machine, or just an applicator, and if so which one?

(I use Flex VRG 3401)

·
Registered
329 Posts
No paint transfer on the pad, how did you apply the product, and did you avoid the edges of the fairings, obviously that's where the paint is the thinnest ..

Did you use any machine, or just an applicator, and if so which one?

(I use Flex VRG 3401)
Used hand. Circular motions, avoiding edges and being firm with pressure. Used Meguiar’s yellow applicator pads. As compound got more and more rubbed in, the pad started to colour.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Used hand. Circular motions, avoiding edges and being firm with pressure. Used Meguiar’s yellow applicator pads. As compound got more and more rubbed in, the pad started to colour.

Did you only put a little drop of the compound on the applicator?

Has the bike been previously resprayed ..?!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
No and no. I was applying a fair bit actually. So must have over done it eh?

I'm not sure what is the result if a lot of product is used (it could be that too much of the stuff started affecting the paint in a bad way), but the below job, for the whole bonnet was not more than 8 little drops.

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle Photograph

Photograph Car Automotive lighting White Motor vehicle

1 - 19 of 19 Posts