Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think i have enough symptoms for somebody who knows the electrics on the bike to pin point the exact wire and the exact location of the contacts. However, i don't have a book yet and i commute on this bike and it's just unreasonably unreliable but i still have to ride it.

Here are my symptoms. every morning i put the key in and turn it, the dash does it's funky flash and countdown. however, the hiss light will not light up during this process, then all the lights turn off and i'm stuck with only the FI light on. I then have to put the bike into neutral, jiggle the wiring harness under the left hand side (when you're sitting on it) seat and wait till the HISS light turns on. give it a second and then they'll both turn off and then i can start my bike.

Once it gets going it's fine. I don't have any issues after riding the bike either and riding home from work is almost a guaranteed start. I do have the occasional engine cut out (FI light flashes) but it is a pretty rare occurance and that's caused when you touch the wires connecting to the ECU (bad, loose connection that needs to be recrimped). So I'm pretty confident in saying that the FI light cut outs are a seperate issue because you can't jiggle the ECU wires to get the bike started, you HAVE to jiggle the wire harness.

What i'd like to know is what are the conditions for the HISS light to turn on and off? that would be my first point of attack, once i know what conditions need to be met for that light to go off then i can figure out the associated wires and trace them all back and jiggle them separately. Once i've got that sorted i'll take the bike to the auto electrician to replace and recrimp the faulty wires and the sort out the ecu wires.

If anybody has ANY pointers for me that would be lovely, i plan to fix it this weekend as it's my #1 priority but it will not be easy without the book.

SOLVED was jiggling the wiring harness around, took off the seat and was juggling the fuse box and all the relays and what not around trying to find the one problem connection. I was getting no response from any of the relays/fuses so i moved on. I ended up being oddly suspicious about a solid box taped into the wiring harness. I can't imagine honda would do something like this so i peeled back the tape and found around 8 or so blue wires all connecting to the box and i just assumed it was a junction box which is correct. Shaking this around was the cause of the problem and was why playing with all the other wires under the seat did nothing. I took off the cap and then removed the bus bar from the cap and plugged it in assuming one of the blue wires was the issue but plugging the bus bar in by itself solved it entirely. I'm glad the manual i downloaded didn't include anything regarding the hiss light because it would have lead me down the wrong track.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 01xx Bike wont start unless i jiggle a the wiring harness, HISS light not showing

I dont have HISS on mine so cant help you, but the service manual is available as a downloadable PDF here, and contains electrical diagrams:
http://www.cbrxx.com/honda-cbr-xx-resource-center/3-honda-cbr-1100xx-service-manual-1999-a.html
thanks buddy, i doubt i'll get the info i need since too many people have problems and not enough knowledgeable people who are willing to provide information with no reward.

unfortunately the HISS light doesn't exist on my motorcycle according to the manual. there's no wiring for it on the wiring diagram and there's no HISS in the index either.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Re: 01xx Bike wont start unless i jiggle a the wiring harness, HISS light not showing

thanks buddy, i doubt i'll get the info i need since too many people have problems and not enough knowledgeable people who are willing to provide information with no reward.
Hmmm, that's a pretty "glass is half empty" viewpoint. My experience of this forum is that its members bend over backwards to be helpful.

Try this new link. The other manual was likely for the US variant of the FI birds which has no HISS. Section 20 in this version of the manual is all about the Immobiliser (HISS) system and may give you some clues...

http://www.cbrxx.com/honda-cbr-xx-resource-center/3-honda-cbr-1100xx-service-manual-1999-a-4.html#post188053

·
Registered
481 Posts
"Hmmm, that's a pretty "glass is half empty" viewpoint" -----------------------that's a nice way of saying it!

Fellow BB rider, as I see it you have 2 issues.

1. Intermittent FI light: This has been covered here many times....... Loose connection to ECU. Solution, Disconnect + and - battery terminals. Remove rear cowling. Disconnect 2 ECU multi pins and clean with spray electrical contact cleaner, for bonus points sparingly add dielectric grease to all connections.
Make sure ECU is properly secured in its little home

2. Problem with HISS. Don't need wiring diagram for this one. You say it works if you jiggle harness LHS under seat. In short, this is symptom in need of a "Loom Fix", most likely. My BB year 2000 has 3 junction blocks built into the loom, about 1/1/4" x 3/4" x 1/2" in size. They are simply wrapped under the tape in the loom. Pull some slack into loom and try to find one. Likely somewhere between middle of seat and gas tank. Carefully cut the tape and expose junction block. The proper fix has been covered on this site. Remember, always disconnect battery before messing with ECU wiring.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
SOLVED was jiggling the wiring harness around, took off the seat and was juggling the fuse box and all the relays and what not around trying to find the one problem connection. I was getting no response from any of the relays/fuses so i moved on. I ended up being oddly suspicious about a solid box taped into the wiring harness. I can't imagine honda would do something like this so i peeled back the tape and found around 8 or so blue wires all connecting to the box and i just assumed it was a junction box which is correct. Shaking this around was the cause of the problem and was why playing with all the other wires under the seat did nothing. I took off the cap and then removed the bus bar from the cap and plugged it in assuming one of the blue wires was the issue but plugging the bus bar in by itself solved it entirely.
Sounds like someone else had already done a loom fix on this bike, and a dodgy one at that.

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,487 Posts

Hmmm, that's a pretty "glass is half empty" viewpoint. My experience of this forum is that its members bend over backwards to be helpful.
Funny, judging by the fixed edit, the problem was an area where members HAVE bent over backwards providing information at great time expense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mi problema fue similar. La bicicleta comenzó bien, pero cuando se sacude se apaga y los LED HISS y FI y HESD se encienden por un segundo y se apagan. Como si se reiniciara de nuevo. Entonces la bicicleta comenzó normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts