Honda CBR XX Forum banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Aroberts, your solution is OK for testing purposes, but I would not keep it like that for a long time. Maybe the resistor can come lose after a while due to the vibrations of the engine. Replacing your resistor by an O2 eliminator is a cheap solid solution. It's just an idea.
Hi. I put a cable tie around the plug and the resistor to hold it in place after I took the photo. Maybe you are right. I'll let you know if it comes loose.
Heck Barbancourt. Do you have super powers or something? Yesterday I filled up with petrol and the FI light came on. Got home and the resistor was just a tiny bit loose. I put it back together with a new cable-tie and it is fine today.

I've looked around on the net for an eliminator but the sites either seem a bit dodgy or don't deliver to NZ. Anyone recommend a site to buy from?

Another option I'm thinking of is to reconnect the O2 Sensor with the heater, but just cut the green wire so it doesn't send back a signal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thought I'd update this thread. I haven't bought an eliminator. The bike has been running really well for the last few months. The resistor has remained in place since I put on the new cable-tie. As others have noticed, I can still sense a slight surge, but it is nothing like when the O2 sensor was connected and is not a big deal. So I still recommend this change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having this same problem with my 2005 Bird for some time now. Eventually I couldn't handle the jerking any more and did a search. I found this site and boy, am I glad I did. I have done the changes, as suggested, and she is now running better than before. I have a PCIII fitted and the mapping has been checked. I will be doing some long distance open roads this weekend, so lets see what happens.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
839 Posts
It's very rich i.e. about 12.0 for most of the time.

Power was 137.3bhp @ 9.5k rpm and 80 ft/lb @ about 8k.

He suggested it's likely I'd get to 144ish with a PCiii, K&N and baffles out.

The curves look smooth and flat but it's too rich. He reckons he can lean it off by 15-20% at the top end .... which will help with economy and prevent blackening of those expensive spark plugs.

I think you're right about the baffles ... although it seems sad to restrict the bikes potential. Maybe I could get maps for with and without. It all turns into expense though. I've a 16k service, pad change, tyre change, MOT, possible chain/sprockets plus MOT on other bike etc all coming up.

Ponder ponder....
Remember that on a moving bike you will have a lot more air going in there with the Ram Air system, it will lean out

·
Registered
454 Posts
Only 12 months since I posted that! ;)

I got the Bike Dyno autotuned and it certainly made everything a lot smoother but fuel economy took a hit. The maps leans it out at the top end but enriches it lower down. It's definately smoother but the fuel consumption is worse.

Coincidently I'm just on my second tank full where I'm running with a All 0's map. i.e. the PCIII isn't adjusting anything so it's like stock. I still have the O2 eliminator in place.

I'm now getting around 20+ miles more per tank !

I'm not sure what to do. Settle to the less smooth fueling or get another map done.

Power is not the issue as there's plenty in the real world. I want smooth and economic (within reason).

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Remember that on a moving bike you will have a lot more air going in there with the Ram Air system, it will lean out
+1

Something many people seem to forget. It's fine to set a carb bike up on a dyno, but unless your dyno is in a wind tunnel you can't do the same for an fi bike that incorporates ram air.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 02 plate, standard apart from JAC road legal cans. Noticed the surging and have done the resistor mod. All runs ok. Glad I found this thread.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi guys!

Last year, i've purchased an 2005 XX, and i'm very pleased with her.

Last week i've ordered an 4-1 system and KN filter for her, and i've question.

There is no "hole" for the O2 sensor on my new system, so i have to trick the FI module with a O2 eliminator, is that right?

How many O2 sensors are on my bike, 1 or 2???

I've ordered one, but i read there are might 2 of them.

Thanks in advance
R.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You have one lambda sensor or O2 sensor as its called by dynojet on the bike - for some reason there is rubbish information going round that the bird had two - VFR800s have two I believe. Either buy the official dynojet plug in sealed O2 Eliminator like I did or use the cheap resistor and insulating tape trick.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You have one lambda sensor or O2 sensor as its called by dynojet on the bike - for some reason there is rubbish information going round that the bird had two - VFR800s have two I believe. Either buy the official dynojet plug in sealed O2 Eliminator like I did or use the cheap resistor and insulating tape trick.
Thanks for the answer scott!

Dynojet plug and the system are on the "way" to Hungary, can't wait for weekend... :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is an interesting topic ... and why? Because bike manufacturers set up the EFI to create a lean partial throttle condition to save on fuel in test.
However, I found that with my other two FI bikes and one carb bike set-up the same ..with a very hesitant slight throttle condition that in real world conditions actually means that you use MORE throttle than you need to, and therefore over a greater distance use more fuel. On the FI bikes a power commander saved fuel with a richer low end .. and the same on the carb bike by shimming the carb needles .. both of them used LESS fuel after RICHENING the low end .. Interesting ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have just read this entire thread I the hope that it help me to cure my same issue
However I have a 99 efi bird but it doesn't seem to have the sensor on the exhaust
So I am now at a bit of a loss My bike has done 33k and has full Honda service history
Would it be The fuel pressure regulator that is causing the same issue on mine or possibly plugs
It goes like a train when pushed but seems to surge when pottering about at 30-40 MPH

Cheers

Dean

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are you sure it doesn't have an O2 sensor? I thought all the EFI models had them. Or has yours already ben modified, e.g. after market exhaust fitted?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you sure it doesn't have an O2 sensor? I thought all the EFI models had them. Or has yours already ben modified, e.g. after market exhaust fitted?
Ok,
Just had a good look at the bike.
There is no sensor to speak of on the exhaust, have checked both sides.

Have also lifted the tank and there is no plug to disconnect a sensor either (just in case I missed it on the exhaust)

Whats next then chaps.....

FPR, Plugs ???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi. You are right. Looks like the O2 sensor was only fitted to the 2001+ models.

So not sure what your problem is. Do you have the workshop manual? It says how to check the fuel pressure regulator.

Be aware that even with the O2 sensor disconnected, there is a still a small surge. It is just much more obvious when it is connected. Also some individual bikes seem to be more affected than others.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,
I just purchased a '02 FI Blackbird yesterday, and the first thing I noticed was this slight jerking on low revs, rather annoying to ride in the city. I'm glad I found this topic, but before I go tampering with my bike I need to check what has been done to it previously (the bike originates from Germany and the first owner seems to have done quite a few mods to it). It also has an odd knob in lower left fairing with unknown purpose...
And to be clear - what kind of effect does this mod have to cats? I have stock exhaust and no intention of changing it, so does the lambda sensor trick damage the cats?

·
Registered
839 Posts
TBH you need to give the bike a good service and take any crap off it that isn't standard, the switch you talk of may be a manual fan switch best thing is to switch it on and see, any other mods like power commanders etc need to be removed then start from there, also you might want to check the FPR, prime the system (turn on the key) and see if fuel drips from the vacuum connection (smaller of the 2x pipes) if it drips fuel then it's faulty, the FPR can be accessed by lifting the rear of the tank and it's on the RHS end of the fuel rail

If that doesn't sort it then you could have a vacuum leak on one of the thin pipes below the fuel rail - perhaps something you should check along with the FPR

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello,
I just purchased a '02 FI Blackbird yesterday, and the first thing I noticed was this slight jerking on low revs, rather annoying to ride in the city. I'm glad I found this topic, but before I go tampering with my bike I need to check what has been done to it previously (the bike originates from Germany and the first owner seems to have done quite a few mods to it). It also has an odd knob in lower left fairing with unknown purpose...
And to be clear - what kind of effect does this mod have to cats? I have stock exhaust and no intention of changing it, so does the lambda sensor trick damage the cats?
Has no effect on the cats it stops the lean surge which is the jerking at constant throttle low revs you sounds like you're experiencing. Before you mess around with all the other items GeoffXX mentions just disconnect the Lamdba/O2 sensor to 'test' it. Buy the resistor spoken about for a few pennies and bridge the connection which stops it throwing the FI light. Start the bike and take it for a ride, if this makes no difference then clearly its something else - but to be honest its very likely to solve it! I suspect as is most cases with blackbird FI models with cats/o2 sensor they don't get ridden in town basically.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Early FI models had no cat convertors or o2 sensors. 1999-2000
2001+ FI models that were predominately non US based have Cats and O2 sensor in the header. I know all european models and Australian and New Zealand Models would have this 2001+ model years.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts