Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Excellent write up.
I remember many moons ago coming back from Alton Towers ( a large theme park here in the UK ) heading down the M5 ( in the car ) back to Devon and I kid you not it was raining on the north bound lanes but not on the south bound ones and this went on for about 2 miles ?
Never seen it since !
Going on those twisties in Arizona, local knowledge is a wonderful thing, just look up the great ( and very sadly late ) Sabine Schmitz on youtube, not only the Queen of the Nurburgring but the absolute KING !! She had driven it thousands of times and new every nook and cranny ! No one could live with her.
That's kinda like "Yellow Wolf" on the Tail of the Dragon. He does it on a wing in times just shy of good sport bike riders. He is on YouTube too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
After posting last night I turned out the light around 1 am so I slept in until 0830.
Looked out the window at an overcast gray day... but no rain! Packed the few things I brought in and then sat down to a hotel breakfast of biscuits and white(?) Paste gravy. I'm sure it didn't have the paste consistency when they first put it out. It tasted ok with some pepper and salt. Two omelets... didn't think there was cheese but I was surprised that they had diced peppers and tomatoes (?) in them. Had two pints of milk... all while watching the Weather Channel. Good thing I pressed on yesterday and got as far as I did.
After breakfast I headed North to Ellsworth KS and hopped on 70 East until Salina. I had to rethink my premature congratulatory mental pat on the back as there was an ugly dark cloud sitting in my way... it gave me a few sprinkles and then I was out of it. Headed due North on 81 all the way to York, NE. Got sunnier as I went. Even had a tail wind for 200 miles. YeeHah... except when I turned East on 80 that wonderful tail wind turned into a strong miserable cross wind... uh oh, I have almost 500 miles of traveling East... it was yanking me around and of course the semi's exacerbated the problem every time I passed one... and there were a lot of trucks. I found that if I flipped up my MRA Vario adjustable lip to full up that it really reduced the yanking of my head in the wind. Then if I took my right forearm and leaned on my tank bag (I can do that because of Beestoy's awesome Cruise Control) reduced the battering of my right side even more! So off I rode at 10 over the limit (85 or 90). I went through Omaha on reserve and wanted to fill up at the station that the cops directed me to after I high sided my 2012 wing back in 15. To pay homage to the moment... so I slowed down to 75 and was wondering if I would make the next 29 miles! As my cruise control adjusted for the hill I thought it was the engine hesitating or stumbling due to no gas... nope, I made it! Had almost a full gallon left. From there it was just riding and riding but I thought the wind might have slackened as the cross wind wasn't as bad. Nope it was just that Iowa has more trees and isn't so flat so the wind in many places didn't feel so powerful.
Got through DesMoines and noticed a dark belt of clouds down by the horizon and thought... uh, oh! Rain? A little over 150 miles later I am riding straight at a huge dark mass towering above and across the whole horizon and I can see sheets of rain coming down in it. All of a sudden I get excited because I see a river on the GPS. Yes! The Mississippi River. I head north as soon as I am over that river. All good... except it wasn't the Mississippi at all. Nope, just a smaller river and the Mississippi was 40 miles further.
I kept debating if I should stop and change out of my mesh and into my solid gear and most importantly put away my radar detector and phone.
Oh, I just might make it... the river is only 18 miles away. Well at 15 miles we went into a rain shower for maybe 5 miles. Not the real heavy stuff but I hunkered down behind my windshield as much as I could and got through it. Of course at the same time we went through the rain was the time traffic was jammed together as a long line of trucks were going slow and we had a truck passing those other trucks and it was going 2 mph more. Talk about spray! Punched through that and then got across the river and turned north... again happy I got through the rain and I wasn't drenched all over just shoulders, arms and knees were wet. Roads were wet but no rain... for 20 miles then a light rain for 10 miles and now as the temp had dropped from 85 to 75 and I was wet and drying off I was getting quite chilled.
Finally my exit showed itself and I got off the highway and thought I might eat at BBY's Chicken in Dixon, IL... except just my luck it's Monday and they are closed on Monday...
Went up to Oregon and the roads were dry 1 mile south of Oregon. Stopped by Alfano's Italian Restaurant. Called my wife to see if she had some dinner and she did. I started the bike up and headed towards home.. made it 20 minutes later..

1. Across Iowa at 80 to 85 mph I was averaging 33 to 35 mpg with a heavy cross wind.
2. Best shower was a Holiday Inn Express in Great Bend, KS. Worst was the one in Springerville, AZ "The Rode Inn". The shower head was at the same level as my shoulder! Were people really that much shorter in the 50's or 60's? I'm 6'3"
3. Whenever I get in country were they have the gas station chain called (Kum & Go) I always wonder how that name came up. It had to be an idea brought up around a campfire with a bunch of guys and there was ample alcohol flowing. Or a board room and somebody flipped it out as a joke and then it stuck!
I'd like to thank all the people who gave me places to sleep and to Beestoy for inviting me in the first place.

Was gone 9 days and was on the road 7 of those 9 and covered 4,080 miles.

Reactions: Mallow1 and Bigmc

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Reactions: Mallow1

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
She's a dirty beast after 4,100 miles... but she's my dirty beast!
Enjoying a summer evening on the way home from my Mother's house.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Your idea of dirty and mine obviously differ. Thats cleaner than mine ever is.
Hah,
If I did a close up you'd see dirt covering it. In Arizona I picked up stuff coming off the road while going past the mine and it looks like concrete splatters up front. Lots of bugs too.
Everything is relative to your road conditions. Now Tigre... that's a man who keeps his bike immaculate! Something that I could never do. I once had some Harley guys at work tell me I needed to was my bike as their's were pristine. I looked at their accrued miles and said... talk to me when you ride these things more than a few miles a year. I don't have time to clean after every ride. I'm to busy riding everyday!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
This is dirty to me...

Reactions: leighb
21 - 32 of 32 Posts