Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Beestoy messaged me that they were doing their annual Devil's Hwy ride in Arizona. I happened to have the time off. Only problem is that I live in Northern Illinois and that's 26 hrs away and this spring has brought some crazy weather. I could load the bike in the truck or ride. Trucking it just seems to be cheating to me or I could take the Wing. That didn't seem right either as it was a gathering of Black Birds which are a Birds of a different feather from a Goldwing. Some other things came up and it didn't seem as if I could go... then a really nice day came and I had to ride. Asked Loraine if she minded. "Nope, go have fun. Just be careful you're close to retirement now!" So I threw some things into my bags and took off at 3:30 in the afternoon. I decided to take the long route and see some friends near Capitol Reef NP and by Zion NP. Loop around by the Hoover Dam then to Lake Havasu to a friend, then over to Phoenix AZ.
1st day was sunny and nice. I was just trying to get to Omaha 6 hrs away since I started out so late. About 4 hrs later Temps had gone down to 60°F. On went my heated jacket liner.. I got to Omaha and said to myself... self it's only 9 pm and Lincoln is only another 100 miles... so I kept going. Got to Lincoln and the hotel was overbooked. Everything nearby was full! Seems people are coming out of "Covid Hibernation"! Well, I called Grand Island, NE and they had a room. So at 11:30 pm and 55° Temps I was looking at another 100 miles so on went my heated pant liners. About 50 miles from my destination I started seeing lightning to the North. Oh great, hope it stays north... then I started seeing it to the south! Storms to the left of me, storms to the right... here I am stuck in the middle again. I made it to the hotel and 20 minutes later the storm broke.
Next morning it was 50° and sprinkling and that's what it did for a hundred miles. I was warm with my gear on medium but my visor was somewhat hard to see through. Then the moisture went away but it stayed cold and overcast. 100 or so miles from Denver, CO it started raining in earnest at 50° and my gloves were feeling soggy but my hands were dry. 50 miles from Denver I started seeing electronic road signs stating... Heavy rains and high winds ahead. Slow down... I missed that weather and had light rain but the spray was becoming worse as traffic picked up. 3 miles from my hotel I was merging from I-76 to I-70 and an SUV next to me went through some deep water and a wall of water hit me and completely blinded me. I let off the gas and continued to steer straight as that'sall I could do... except the SUV slowed down too and continued to spray me. I finally got behind a few seconds later and somehow some water got in and trickled down my front... brrr, but I was happy to be able to see! It was like a fire hose to the face and body! 3 miles later I walk into the hotel and while I am standing there checking in a large pool of water formed around me! Thats how much water hit me as it was still draining off. Rain forecast all day tomorrow for Denver and starting out in it at 48°... beginning to wonder why I took the long route... but 2 hours west just cloudy and 5 hrs away in Grand Junction, CO 75° and sunny!!!! Motorcyclists have to be optimists... there's always better weather ahead.
Pictures below...
First time I have seen Dino all saddled up and ready to ride!
Pulled into the hotel and saw this truck. I thought maybe it's a girl's truck. Nope the desk clerk said it was his and he's into comic books. All his tattoos are comic related and his Harley is too.
In the driveway and ready to roll.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Geez, I missed my invite. :ROFLMAO:

Great write up, glad you're safe, and looking forward to the rest of the story without Toyota pics. :p

Is it really an XX ride? Sweet!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Geez, I missed my invite.

Great write up, glad you're safe, and looking forward to the rest of the story without Toyota pics.

Is it really an XX ride? Sweet!
I really took those pics for my 15 yr old son.
You went west a couple of years ago didn't you? Think you were the one who clinched me going to T31 tires from your ride report.

Finally out of the cold and rain!

·
Registered
856 Posts
That hotel lobby and pool of water aroumd you… I feel for ya and know exactly the same! I even had water running out of my sleeve all over the counter. That was 20yrs ago and I'm still lovin my BB. Keep the detail coming bro! Wishing you fun and warmth. M1

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Woke up at 0330 for some reason and didn't hear any rain. Was hoping to get out around 0630 to 0700 and miss the rain. 0400 was way to early so I wrote my post for yesterday then got up and showered again to wake up... as I took a long hot shower the night before to warm up after that wet ride. Turned the heat up last night to 78 in the room and put my gloves and helmet on the heater outlet. They were dry when I shut out the light so I turned the heat down to 71.
Went down to breakfast and had two hotel cheese omelets and 4 links. At least it fills the stomach that's about all I can say about that. Packed the bike and it was overcast but not raining. Hmmmm, maybe I can get out of here and not get wet? Went up to the room for one final check to make sure I didn't miss anything and came back down and it had started to sprinkle! Well, nothing to do but saddle up anyway. Hopped on and crossed the street to gas up. Was having a bit of difficulty getting my feet on the pegs. Old, fat, stiff and out of shape was my thinking... that and my full suit with heated gear underneath. It got easier throughout the day. Headed west on 70 and maybe 15 miles down the road the sprinkles stopped but now I was heading up and I was kissing the bottom of the clouds so my visor was still getting wet and it was only 48° when I started. Visor was fogging a bit so I lifted it a up every 5 miles or so to clear it. Up, up and up goes I-70 West out of Denver. Roads dried out but getting colder. Up went the heat settings. Eventually I started wondering why I didn't put my waterproof heated gloves on. I had them for backup... why? You may not know but I-70 is the highest Interstate in the land as it goes up to 11,158 ft at the EisenhowerTunnel... Brrrr. Got past Vail and a bit of SUN broke through the clouds! Yes! It is still there... please come out... please, please. It did but at 10,000 feet there was snow all around and cold... then down we went and warmth was slowly coming back. Passing George Town I turned over 1000 miles on the trip. A state hwy patrol was nice and didn't stop me at speed. That happened twice today. Once in Colorado and once in Utah. Finally I needed gas and I had descended to around 5,000 ft an I noticed people were walking around in T-shirts while I filled up... but I kept the heat on for a while longer. Before getting to Grand Junction I turned the heat off but kept the gear on. Started crossing into Utah and I see people in T-shirts on bikes. I kept my gear on until I needed gas 40 or so miles into Utah and it was probably 75 to 80 out. Finally was warm so I took off the Aerostich RoadCrafter and heated gear. Put on my mesh gear, gassed up and left... Oh, it was so easy to swing my long legs up to the pegs now! Sun and blue sky, cool mesh after sitting and getting hot in it at the station. Low humidity and great temperatures all was now good. Speed limit 80 mph so I got up to a bit above that and the car I was just about to pass put on it's brakes... OH, UT State Police! Hit the brakes but knew I was going to pay... except he was just doing a U-turn because he was authorized. Whew!
Hummed down the road and it was great. My new wireless phone charger/holder was working perfectly so my phone could stay on and play music, be a GPS unit, or do a live preview so I could turn my GoPro on and off to record without depleting my phone battery. My new aftermarket Gopro 3 battery capacity battery charger was working and that was plugged into my newly replaced power source. I put a 400 GB micro SD in the GoPro and that gives me over 12 hrs of recording. My GoPro battery lasts about an hour so I pull one out of the charger and swap it. I rotate through them sequentially so I always have a fully charged battery now when I need one. I can see via my phone on the GoPro app the battery life left and if a bug gets on the lense!
I turned off of I-70 and went West on US 24. Took that through Capitol Reef NP and at Torrey, UT turned south on 12 down to Escalante, UT. If you have never been on 12 then you need to put it on your list ( 24 through Capitol Reef is great too). The road is good and the scenery is better. Will post videos of it in this thread after the trip. My front tire is worn so I gotta take it easy around corners. Getting a new tire put on in Surprise, AZ on Thursday over at Beestoy's house.
I got to Boulder UT and my friend took me up on a Mesa where he plans to build. Great scenery. Then we sat and relaxed and talked for an hour or so over a dinner of BBQ ribs. Tomorrow is a short 3 hour ride over to Zion NP.
Pic is just one angle of his view as he is on a point of the Mesa. There is a big drop-off about 5' behind me.
Room is in his hotel/Lodge "Entrada Escalante Lodge" a really nice place. Only 3 years old.
I can't say enough about hwy 12... especially "The Spine". Look it up on Google. Landscape is so unique.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Woke up rested and didn’t have to be anywhere fast. I went out on the back porch of the lodge and read a book and listened to the birds chirping and twittering… and nobody canceled them! 75° sunny and no humidity. It was wonderful with no wind. Packed up and the talked with Tara who is running the lodge. Good people and if you’re going to be by Escalante stop on in! I hopped on the bike and hit the road and bumbled along at the speed limit or below. Holiday traffic is gone and with the perfect day and beautiful scenery I just couldn’t help but mosey along. My mom requested that when videoing that I look around more instead of just looking at the road… so I did. Hopefully when I post the videos you can tell the difference because going so slow and not attacking the corners or having fun riding like I usually do I could look around a lot more. But due to that I now have a sore neck! I came down 12 to Bryce Canyon and was going to go there to take a few shots but the traffic was backed up due to construction as they were putting in a Round about and I had to wait at least 20 minutes for the flag man to turn it to slow so I didn’t feel like fighting it to come the other way on my way back as they had 3 roads backed up. Took 12 to 89 south then to 9 west and that takes you to Zion NP East entrance. I heard from people that this weekend the park was packed and traffic was waiting to get in for hours. I just rolled up and had to wait for one car only. Then instead of paying a $35 fee to get in I asked about an article that I had read. Article said that President Trump made it so veterans got in free and Gold Star Families did too. Told the ranger that I had a drivers license stating that I was a veteran and he said all I have to do is show it to him or any NP entrance ranger and I indeed get in free of charge. So I showed him and thanked him. I thank President Trump for doing that too.
I idled in all the way into the park at about 15 to 18 mph so I could get good video of it. I love coming in the East Entrance. It is so spectacular.
Got to my friends place and it is right in Springdale at the Entrance to the park. She has an air bnb so if you want to stay then contact her. I’ll post the info later. She had things to do so I was going to use her computer to transfer videos to my hard drive but it was an Apple Product and I was not going to deal with that foreign thing… and probably mess it up or lose data she needs so it will have to wait until tomorrow. Watched a movie and now turning out the light. Oh, out of the cold and into the heat. I believe it was 95°F in Springdale today. I plan on getting gone early on Thursday to run down to Phoenix before it gets to hot but I plan on stopping in Kanab, UT for some chicken fried stake and gravy for breakfast. Was there on Wyatt’s trip and it was delicious. Restaurant is called Houston's I believe. My buddy in Lake Havasu called this morning and told me his plumbing sprung a leak and dripped from the ceiling down into his guest bedroom and he didn’t have a bed for me now… things happen and we just have to roll with it!

Reactions: Bigmc

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I copied this from my FB page...
Didn't do much today but catch up with an old friend and taken out to breakfast to celebrate my 57th birthday. Uploaded some unedited film of my ride into Zion East Entrance. Helped out a beginner Beekeeper with a few simple suggestions that will keep him from getting stung really badly. Had to do with the orientation of his hives. Was going to go for an evening ride to get some more overview shots my friend said were spectacular but I think I will come back in the fall when it's cooler.
Getting up and out early tomorrow to run down 6 hrs or so to Phoenix and the last two hours will be hot even if I get out at 0630.
I take these videos because someday I will be to old to ride and I can watch them again... and I have people all over the world on one of my MC Forums and they get to see a part of the USA that is Unique. Most Americans don't gonto their own National Parks and that is a pity as they are wonderful things to behold. Be it Yosemite, Sequoia, Zion, Bryce, Redwood National Forest, etc.
If you can't then I hope you enjoy these videos.

Also... I want my Mom to see a part of my ride as she is not long for this world and she loved going to see the West on my Dad's Goldwings. To a mother that I could always be proud to call my Mom... Ann Galster these are for you. More to come.
Love you,
Guy

Reactions: fizzy

·
Registered
517 Posts
Many happy returns hope you had a great day ? I love these write ups and videos !
Yes it is important to keep filming these videos because old age is anything but slow, it comes upon you faster than the Blackbird !!
We recently discovered our old VHS tape player along with two boxes of old cassettes out in the out building alongside a whole host of other stuff ( stored when we were going to move quite a few years ago ) one of the tapes was of our wedding which unduly went and snapped whilst trying to play it ( repaired it just fine .. Phew ! ) many of the others had white mold on them and I had to clean them up.
I went and purchased all the gear for transfering them to digital, its tedious but well worth it.
Looking back at them was fantastic especially seeing our kids when they were kids ( my oldest grandaughter is 19 soon so it shows how long ago these would have been filmed ) To be able for you and your Mum to watch these back is fantastic, and really everything we should all try and do.
As said above " keep 'em coming ! "

·
Registered
949 Posts
XXGUY, thankyou for taking the time to post. Having done this trip myself in a car, I can attest how epic it is. Riding these roads on a motorcycle takes it up another level.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Left Springdale, UT at 0630 and drove through Zion NP and over to Kanab. I was chilly but better to be chilly than roasting! Took the GoPro off and stowed it once I reached Kanab. I didn't want to deal with the added wind resistance since it's mounted on my helmet. Long day ahead. I didn't eat any breakfast at Melanie Alexandrine Madsen place as I planned on eating in Kanab at Houston's Trails End Restaurant. They have good food but I really wanted their Chicken Fried steak breakfast. Unfortunately they are closed for breakfast now Monday through Thursday. My taste buds were soooooo disappointed! Filled up with gas and hit the road. I was taking 89 to 89A to 89 down to Flagstaff and hopping on 17 and taking it to Phoenix then 303 to Surprise, AZ. I took 89A because it heads towards the North Rim and runs on the Kaibab Plateau which is cooler due to elevation. Nice views of wide open country. Made it up there and the pine trees smelled good. Saw large areas where the fires raged last year. Came off the Plateau down to 5000'. Temps went from nice and refreshing to warm. Soon I regretted not having the GoPro out as I was passing by the Vermillion Cliffs and later crossing the Colorado River. Saw a large beautiful new RV on a pull off and I stopped to get a video of the cliffs and to use the shade of the RV. The owner popped out and I asked him if I could borrow some of his shade. Sure, want some water? So we stood there drinking water and chatting. Found out he was from Kentucky and now retired to Florida and this was his first time in the West. He loved the cliffs. I told him he has got to see Zion and Bryce Canyon if he liked this. I Thanked him for the water and went on my way. Temps were warm but not uncomfortable at all. Soon enough I am headed towards Flagstaff back on 89 and this tall green mountain is in the distance and it looks cool and inviting! It's Humphrey's peak in the San Francisco mountains. Tallest mountain in AZ at 12,637'. I knew it would cool there. Yep, Temps dropped as I climbed and the road goes a little over 7000'. Mountain has a mixture of pine and Aspen on it. Soon enough I am in Flagstaff and getting on I-17 south. I know that soon my enjoyable Temps will be a thing of the past. Left Flagstaff and soon enough started descending. The first 1000 feet is quick and you can feel the difference in temp change quickly. I believe it is 3°F for every 1,000 ft. The drop from 6,000 to 5,000 was more gradual but when I got to 5,000 ft the heat started to be a thing again and the elevation kept dropping. Got down to 2,000 ft and rolled into Surprise, AZ at 1 pm. I had run out of water and gas so I pulled into a station and filled up on both. Asked what the temperature was... oh, it's only 102°F. Only? Yep, wait until later this afternoon it will be 108.
Got to Brian's house. We pulled the front wheel took it across to the far side of Phoenix to a shop he liked and he had made sure they had a tire several days ago. He liked to leave his windows down... at 102. He asked if I minded. No, I figured I might as well get the full AZ experience. Wasn't so bad as long as I kept my arm inside and didn't touch the metal of the car while my arm rested on the windowsill.
New tire looked good. Went back and put it on. Thanked Brian and said... see you tomorrow. Then headed for Cindy Bordovsky Mosier house 40 minutes away. Remember that "wait until later it will be 108" well it was later and it was. Probably more on that I-10 pavement. I was happy to be moving because the other side was just crawling! Got to Bryan Mosier and Cindy's house. They took me out to a nearby restaurant for dinner. I had the best blackened Salmon dinner that I had ever eaten. Just delicious! Next day met the group at a gas station and we headed up to Springerville and soon we started climbing and the Temps started dropping. On the way we stopped for lunch at the 260 Cafe in Payson, AZ. Good food. You should stop there for a bite. It was warm even though we were at 5000'. The country around was dry, brown AZ with green scrub pine all around... until we got into the White Mountains. Then lodge pole pine and green grass. We were in the White Mountain Apache Reservation. It didn't last long enough for me. We were over 7000' and I could see the lower brown elevations stretching out before us as we were headed towards them. We descended quickly to 5000'
Got to Springerville and removed all the luggage from the bike and then sat out under the overhang of the hotel at some tables. A rainstorm was blowing by just east of us. Sitting there talking bikes and about the road we were going to ride tomorrow I started to get chilled again. We watched the rain coming down out of the clouds in the distance. You could tell it was heavy and we were all glad it wasn't us underneath it. One had hit Springerville just before we got there and puddles were everywhere. We went down the road a mile and had BBQ for dinner. Walked out of dinner and the night temperature was perfect.
Today I will put the GoPro on and ride a road I have been meaning to ride for the last 10 years. It's called the Devil's Hwy... as it used to be US 666. I hear the reason it was changed was because the road signs were getting stolen a lot. Between Morenci and Alpine it is wicked.These guys who are very experienced riders have warned me about how dangerous it is. It should be ridden south to north because then you are going up hill and not braking as hard going into the corners like you would be if coming g downhill. They say if going south in a car and you don't know what you are doing that you can smoke your brakes. Dangerous as in 1000' drop offs and no guard rails, off camber turns and lots of tightening radius turns. Bikes and people have gone off of them.. Sounds interesting and that's why I came. I'm not racing through it. I'm here to enjoy it. Hopefully I will be here tonight to write about it. See you then.
Beestoy, DaveJB are here. Beestoy's wife, son and son's girlfriend, and Chuck are here to ride.
I just went over 2,200 miles today on this trip. Don't know how many miles we will go today. But they will be interesting miles!
Short video on my Facebook post of the Vermillion Cliffs if you want to see it.

Reactions: Bigmc

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Got up today and was wondering what kind of road I was about to tackle. Said a prayer that I would get back safely and the group members too. We took off and 30 miles down the road in Alpine, AZ we had breakfast, well... Lunch? For some reason it took forever to order and then get the food. By the time we were done we'd been there for 1.5 hrs. Good food though! Hopped on the road and I'm behind everyone as I don't know their riding capabilities and according to Wyatt Galster my mufflers are loud when you ride behind me. We went into New Mexico turned south at Luna and it was pretty. Two guys took off and disappeared while I stayed behind with the friend who invited me. I was busy looking around anyway. We kept descending and it kept getting warmer. That was the only reason we were a little irritated by the slow service for breakfast because we had a great time visiting with each other. The problem was it put us an hour behind and that meant we were going to be hotter as the first half of the loop goes down. We started looping back to AZ on a road that had been chip sealed a while back and it was a bit rough. The wind kicked up and was supposed to be blowing 40 mph by the time we got to Morenci. We wound around and then got onto a road that was better but it had tar snakes all over it and it was hot out so they were slick. I was zipping along but when we started winding down the mountain on some curves that would have been glorious to play on absent those snakes... I had slowed down to 25 for a 20 mph corner and my front tire slipped and wasn't gripping and it looked like I might slap the guard rail. I glanced at it and thought... well, you know what I thought. Then... don't look at it, look were you want to go. I did and I made it out once the tire gripped enough. It looked like it was all smoky from a fire somewhere but they said it was probably dust from the open pit copper mine in Morenci. We got into Morenci and gassed up and the wind was blowing well over 20 mph. I needed a zip tie as in the heat my 3M double sided sticky tape let loose for my phone holder. They didn't sell any at the station. Hmmm, I walk out and Tuesday (her name) asked me if I had found any... No, why? Here you can use this one. What, you guys had one on your bike? No, I just looked down and found it on the ground... Tuesday you gotta be kidding! Thanks.
We headed up the mountain and all this dust was blowing from the mine. It was unbelievable! We continued to climb and finally got away from the dust. What a site. I couldn't believe how much rock debris was piled up it was as high as a Mesa.
Those Tar Snakes had finally disappeared but now the road condition was not good either. Rough texture and you could tell the stones were coming out of the blacktop and were laying loose on it. Lots of technical sharp corners and I was thinking... I hope it's not all like this! What a pain and no fun at all. We took a break and then we headed out again. The tar snakes disappeared and I decided to pass the guy that invited me as he was two up with his wife and going slower as was prudent. There were those two other guys always going ahead and they were the ones trying to put the scare into me last night because they had no idea of my level of experience... (and I totally understand what they were trying to do. They had some not to experienced people who crashed and one experienced person too. They didn't want anything bad to happen to me) One of the guys only started riding again in 2013 but he had been on this road every year since then. As I said those Tar Snakes were now gone and those two had started 2 or 3 minutes ahead of me... So I waved goodbye to my friend and went to hunt them down. I finally caught the one who knew he wasn't as fast as the first and when I finally saw him through the trees and curves I knew I had him cause I was closing fast. Great fun... staying in 2nd and 3rd gear my engine revving between 5,000 and 6,000 RPM so my torque was up and I didn't have to use the brakes a whole lot as my engine slowed me down a lot when I let off the gas a little. Flying around corners sliding my butt off the seat a little and sticking a knee out to shift weight, catch the slip stream to pull the bike over. I was actually rolling that bike far over and then standing it up and then down on the opposite side going back and forth. Good pavement makes a world of difference! Well I closed on him very fast and I was surprised thathe didn’t let me by and he knew I wanted by as I was up next to him and backed off at each curve.. and they were close together. So I passed him on the outside half of our lane when he took the inside. Then a mile down the road was our stop for a break location and I slowed down to let him catch up as I wasn't sure if that was the spot or not. He stopped in the road to make sure I saw him. That's probably why he didn't want me to pass as he knew I might blow by it. I did see the sign but wasn't sure so I slowed almost to a stop.
When we left I kept up with the fastest guy no problem. He was fast...
In my hotel room now. Going to shower and go to eat with the group. Had an enjoyable dinner with good companions and good conversation. Food was pretty good too. I had Chicken Fried steak, fries, salsa and chips and they were delicious too. Then 4 of us talked out on the veranda for 3 hours. Breezy, cool and no humidity... ok, there was 10% humidity. No bugs either. It's 11 pm here now and 69°... we got cold and called it a night.

Heading home tomorrow morning. Lots of rain forecast for Texas, Colorado, and Oklahoma but if the forecast hasn't changed much I may be able to squeeze through a clear area on Monday. Should take me three days to get home if I do between 6 to 8 hr days. Not a big deal a week ago but I have put a lot of miles on that bike in a week. Just over 2400. Will add around 1400 more before I get home.
Goodnight!

Reactions: rollie and Bigmc

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
Guy
Glad you enjoyed it. Sorry to have held you up. Next time just give me a headlight flash and I'll give you room to roll by. Just wanted to be sure your wete safe as you saw the road isn't forgiving.
To explain part of that, we all know and say ride your own ride. But I'm also the one that invited you and as a result feel responsible for your welfare on that road for your first time. Once you've run it then next time it's all you. I will treat all who ride with me the first time on any route I bring you. And there's plenty to run out here.

Reactions: rollie

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Guy
Glad you enjoyed it. Sorry to have held you up. Next time just give me a headlight flash and I'll give you room to roll by. Just wanted to be sure your wete safe as you saw the road isn't forgiving.
To explain part of that, we all know and say ride your own ride. But I'm also the one that invited you and as a result feel responsible for your welfare on that road for your first time. Once you've run it then next time it's all you. I will treat all who ride with me the first time on any route I bring you. And there's plenty to run out here.
Oh no, Don't take my comment that way you didn't hold me up at all. I was very appreciative of your efforts and concern. Especially on those snakes! I was happy to stay back with you and I knew you were two up and I didn't want to leave you guys alone. But when the nice pavement showed up I wanted to chase those other two down to let them know that I wasn't a beginner rider and I could hold my own. That's all...
It was a great group and I had a great time. And good food places too! No regrets whatsoever. I enjoyed everyone's company. I plan to do it again with you guys. Although I may truck the bike so my wife will go and she'll visit with her sister in Phoenix while we ride. That or take the wing down there. That would be fun to...
I hope your wife is feeling better!
I did 753 miles today and have 717 to go tomorrow. Really opened her up through New Mexico. Just amazing how the aerodynamics come into play just when and where we discussed last night. I plan on putting that 6mm shim in now too. That T-31 was a big improvement over the PR4 for cornering just like you said it would be!

Spars next?

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
Understood and appreciated. I also learned something on that ride. These metzlers are coming back off. They don't do the bird justice for turning. They tip in but are a bit lazy. They took a lot too get her to lean in to change your line. So T32 will be ordered an my old low mileage T31 rear will go back on.

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Understood and appreciated. I also learned something on that ride. These metzlers are coming back off. They don't do the bird justice for turning. They tip in but are a bit lazy. They took a lot too get her to lean in to change your line. So T32 will be ordered an my old low mileage T31 rear will go back on.
Let us know what you think of the T32.
I left when it was cool and no wind. 0700. Taking 60 into NM was pleasant and somehow I made really good time. What a hoot.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I was planning on being on the road by 0600 but instead got out by 0700 or 0715... I had a good reason.
After talking until 11 pm AZ time I went back to the hotel. Talked to Loraine Bordovsky Galster and typed out my post for the day. By then it's just past 1 am. No problem... but the room next door had their TV on and they were talking loudly. I was trying to be patient but when a lady started talking loudly outside my door at 2 am I had enough and I opened my door to comment and saw that the lady talking loudly was one of two paramedics who had a frail old man on a gurney and were about to put him in the ambulance... so I just shut my door without saying a word. Then it took them another 30 minutes to quiet down. So I was happy to get out that early.
Loaded up the bike, gassed up and headed out on a cool sunny, windless morning. Perfect!! Headed East into New Mexico and all that wide open space somehow affected my right wrist and that Black Bird just flew down the road. I couldn't help but think of myself as the High Plains Drifter like Clint Eastwood in those spaghetti westerns up in those high New Mexico plains between the mountains. Except I had 160 horses not one! Even 50 mph corners can be technical if you are going fast enough. Soon my route turned north and I wound around some Malpais cliffs. Then a bit further I got on 40 East to Albuquerque and took I-25 North of Santa Fe and Las Vegas, NM. I chose to go north on 25 as the Texas Panhandle was supposed to get some heavy rain... and Colorado too. There was supposed to be a small area where it might not rain. So I headed for it. Heading to Albuquerque I could see big clouds forming... uh oh! So north I went... except I could see clouds forming over the mountains there too. Ah well... stick to the plan! Got north of Sante Fe and rain was coming down out of the clouds. It's so beautiful to watch but not ride through. Then I started seeing some really awesome bolts of lightning too. Cool... except I hope the road turns. Many times I thought I was going to get deluged but the road turned and I skirted the down pour as I could see it pouring just a quarter to half a mile off the road. It was really neat and I wished I had my GoPro out. But the clouds and storms were building and I was not going to waste time getting it out! I couldn't help but look at that steel colored rain and think it was fingers coming down and trying to grab me! So down came the rain and the road would turn just in time to miss it. Felt like Russian Roulette and I knew my time was running out. Up to now I just had a few large drops hit me. Finally the road failed to turn and it started to sprinkle large drops on me and I could see just up ahead where the line was of dry road and then heavy rain was bouncing off the pavement. I hunkered down and went through it. It lasted maybe half a mile. Did that two more times. Each time it was so amazing to see such a stark line of rain. I could have stopped in the road and stood a foot away from the rain curtain and not gotten wet and then walked 3 ft and gotten soaked.
I only had 35 miles to go but I was on reserve and slowed down to 75 to ensure that I got to a gas station... one appeared sooner than I expected and I pealed off and gassed up. Shoot, I had a whole 1.3 gallons left! I took a picture of what was behind me and one of where I was going. One dark and foreboding and the other sunny! I had made it! I ate the rest of the caramel popcorn that Melanie Alexandrine Madsen had given to me back in Utah and drank some water. Hopped on the bike and hit the road... those sunny skies had disappeared to the East and more rain clouds were coming off the mountains. No! 20 miles to go before I could turn East towards those sunny skies. I was coming up to my turn off and rain was racing towards it too. I barely made it and as I turned East on 412 some sprinkles were blown out to me. That's all though... close. The rain clouds followed me and the sunny sky was always out ahead of me until I was almost in Oklahoma! It was a blessing though as it provided shade from the sun and it kept the temperature cooler. I made it to Clayton, NM on route 87. I stopped at the 87 Cafe and I was the only one in there and the three teenage waitresses were at the next table. I ordered and then sat there and was highly entertained listening to there conversation. I listened while eating my meal too. I never knew such drama and fights could happen in such a small town! The Chicken Fried Steak and white gravy was very good. I gave her a good tip because of the entertainment value. She had no idea why.
Now it was Sunny and warm. 412 to 56 is all wide open and flat country for hundreds of miles. I had seen this road on a map for years and always wanted to go on it down to AZ instead of using the super slab turns out that this road follows the old historic Santa Fe trail! Nobody around so I just set the cruise on 80 and went. Through NM, OK, and KS. A few small towns but you roll through them fast as they are small! Gassed up in Boise, OK and an 81 Z28 rumbles in... oh, memories of that V8 sound... out jumps a young blonde girl... So I had to ask if that was hers or her dad's. It was hers... she got it for her 16th birthday! Only 39,000 miles on it and all original! Wow.
After that it was just gas and go and wipe bugs off my visor! There are so many more bugs than out in UT and AZ! Made it 753 miles today and have 717 to go tomorrow. I believe that I am clear of the rain and that's one of the reasons I pushed on until 9:30 pm. I came into Dodge City and gassed up then got the heck out of Dodge! Hahaha. Now I'm near Ellsworth, KS.

Photos, what's behind and what's ahead.

Reactions: rollie and Bigmc

·
Registered
517 Posts
Excellent write up.
I remember many moons ago coming back from Alton Towers ( a large theme park here in the UK ) heading down the M5 ( in the car ) back to Devon and I kid you not it was raining on the north bound lanes but not on the south bound ones and this went on for about 2 miles ?
Never seen it since !
Going on those twisties in Arizona, local knowledge is a wonderful thing, just look up the great ( and very sadly late ) Sabine Schmitz on youtube, not only the Queen of the Nurburgring but the absolute KING !! She had driven it thousands of times and new every nook and cranny ! No one could live with her.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts