Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 04 bird in September, partial history but well looked after, for my own piece of mind I got a new air filter ( along with oil etc), ,
Heres my regularly replaced air filter)

Food for thought ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
How many miles are supposed to be on it. I've pulled out a lot worse with only 6000 miles. But I live in the desert where dust storms do blow in on occasion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bike has 42k on it but it does have a part history !,

·
Registered
456 Posts
Its not terrible and looks at about its time of life for a change.
When I got my bird it was in dire need of a bloody good service and for my own peace of mind I changed all filters ( barring fuel ) and again for me the most important change was getting rid of the filthy K&N air filter ( 100 times worse than yours lol ! ) going back to stock and changing the plugs ( almost completely worn out ! )the bike ran like a dream after this.
I also had a problem with the bike smoking on overrun but I also got this sorted out.

·
Registered
364 Posts
mine was worse and the oil was like mud
flushed 3x using cheap oil and naptha solvent and now golden....
if its a carbie make sure the white baffles are in place or it will run like s--t over 60 mph

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shes all up to date now and purring like a satisfied kitten,
Love my bird

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Pulled a rock out my box a while back. How it got through the RAM air grille work and into the box I've still never figured out.

20160530_195355.jpg

·
Registered
149 Posts
Cheers Ianf180..... where are you from? That filter looks pretty sad...... someone been following a lot of diesel engines? I swapped my paper filter out at 18k kms on my 02BB for a K&N washable - the oem filter looked almost new...... the K&N I wash clean every 12,000kms and lightly re-oil..... it has done 40k kms on the 02, then I kept it for my 05BB which I have done 130,000kms on - the K&N is starting to show it's age (not the cotton pleats, but the rubber/plastic body) but still seals correctly and lets no dust past. One of my best investments ever...... lasting 15+ years! and still ok.

Your filter looks like it has actually done all 42k miles..... I'd guess whoever serviced the bike in the past, only ever changed the oil. Best to do the lot..... flush coolant, oil, fork oil and install new plugs. Check the valve clearances (they will prob fine - mine hadn't moved in 130,000kms....errrr 70k miles??)..... a trick is to spray some upper cylinder cleaner into the throttle body vents that hide under the plastic airbox base..... this just cleans any gunk out and you can see it seep into the intakes down near the valve and seats.

The throttle bodies may need synchro-ing with a set of fluid manometers to get perfect balance (and super smooth throttle response) if you have the knowledge.

I wouldn't worry to much about prior service records.... the BB is pretty tough.... engines last well past 200k miles with just regular oil and plugs etc. Brakes may need a flush out and new fluid too...... they always look ok in the sight glass, but once the cap is off the m/c you will see dark fluid begging to be flushed out. :thumb:

PS Good idea to test the volts across the battery terminals - do this on first start of the day with no battery charger used in prev 12hrs..... it's a load test..... and your "cold cranking volts" should read above 9.5 for a health battery and 14v for charging at around 2000rpms for a healthy alternator coil and R/R.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Ianf180..... where are you from? That filter looks pretty sad...... someone been following a lot of diesel engines? I swapped my paper filter out at 18k kms on my 02BB for a K&N washable - the oem filter looked almost new...... the K&N I wash clean every 12,000kms and lightly re-oil..... it has done 40k kms on the 02, then I kept it for my 05BB which I have done 130,000kms on - the K&N is starting to show it's age (not the cotton pleats, but the rubber/plastic body) but still seals correctly and lets no dust past. One of my best investments ever...... lasting 15+ years! and still ok.

Your filter looks like it has actually done all 42k miles..... I'd guess whoever serviced the bike in the past, only ever changed the oil. Best to do the lot..... flush coolant, oil, fork oil and install new plugs. Check the valve clearances (they will prob fine - mine hadn't moved in 130,000kms....errrr 70k miles??)..... a trick is to spray some upper cylinder cleaner into the throttle body vents that hide under the plastic airbox base..... this just cleans any gunk out and you can see it seep into the intakes down near the valve and seats.

The throttle bodies may need synchro-ing with a set of fluid manometers to get perfect balance (and super smooth throttle response) if you have the knowledge.

I wouldn't worry to much about prior service records.... the BB is pretty tough.... engines last well past 200k miles with just regular oil and plugs etc. Brakes may need a flush out and new fluid too...... they always look ok in the sight glass, but once the cap is off the m/c you will see dark fluid begging to be flushed out. :thumb:

PS Good idea to test the volts across the battery terminals - do this on first start of the day with no battery charger used in prev 12hrs..... it's a load test..... and your "cold cranking volts" should read above 9.5 for a health battery and 14v for charging at around 2000rpms for a healthy alternator coil and R/R.
Some sound advice, (especially the electrics), will let you know how I get on,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts