Honda CBR XX Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Goodquestion as I have the same exact setup
Is your wear indication in the same place as mine in the picture I posted ?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·

·
Administrator
9,147 Posts
I would say yes.
But to be safe loosen up the chain and pull in one link by wire rapping it to make sure you have the room in the adjusters to compensate.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I would say yes.
But to be safe loosen up the chain and pull in one link by wire rapping it to make sure you have the room in the adjusters to compensate.
Ok Beestoy, sounds like a good idea. I will try it out. Good thing I have that extra master link!
I will do it tomorrow and post pictures. Z

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I would say yes.
I can do this and still have 3" of chain free play with the adjusters all the way in. Was also thinking to be safe...adjust chain as it is and when it stretches out a little then remove a link.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Take it out .............I will do the same
Everyone wanted to go for a ride as it got up to 58 degree Fahrenheit. So I needed the CBR XX too. Quickly adjusted the chain and we went out. Dropped the RPMs by around 250 and was smooth and quiet. Will take out the link later.

·
Administrator
9,147 Posts
How many links are in that thing. You only need 110 with stock sprockets so with 1 tooth down you should be able to take out one link and be good. DID's are pre stretched.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
How many links are in that thing. You only need 110 with stock sprockets so with 1 tooth down you should be able to take out one link and be good. DID's are pre stretched.
I counted...110. I was wondering about that. Wondered if it was 110 plus my master link so I started counting.

·
Administrator
9,147 Posts
Then I'd take out at least one then if your worried ( I wouldn't be). or just run it as long as your in the adjustment range

Reactions: XXGUY

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I am going to run it as is and when the adjusters have no more room I will replace it and go with a sprox 45 tooth...unless I really like the 44 tooth!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Soooo....now that I have learned to do this and peen chains...I finally got Lorna's NC700X DCT on the lift. Bought it in January for her so I could get the Rebel back for the 16 yr old girl. Got her out there and we changed oil. Started working on her chain. Took an hour of scrubbing with Kerosene. She asked why Wyatt's chain clean and lube took 15 minutes including his 4 mile ride to warm up and dry off the chain. Told her "Because he cleaned it at 600 miles and yours probably hasn't been done in over 3000 miles."
Her chain had a lot of tight spots so today I ordered a set of JT sprockets a DID 520VX2 natural chain with rivet link and a Cameleon plus chain oiler. I also saw the RK chain breaker and riveting tool for only $95 on amazon instead of the $125 that I paid. She will be there along side me the whole way. Also will adjust her valves. Her response...This should be interesting!
New skills already being put to use...next I will tackle forks.

Reactions: TheDuck

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I like that idea, using someone else's bike to practice mechanics on :thumb:.
Hah, only problem with that thought is it is my married daughters bike. I bought it and gave it to her and am paying for everything. Once it is in good running order I will let her buy her own oil, oil filters, air filters and such.

·
Administrator
12,876 Posts
Careful XXGUY gaining too my expertise with the spanners does have some downsides! I went out yesterday evening to route plan a trip I will be taking in 2 weeks time and to meet some of the group that I hadn't met before. A request was made for me to take a few tools with me ...... I ended up fitting pannier racks, tank rings and sorting out Sat Nag mounts :smilebig:

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Careful XXGUY gaining too my expertise with the spanners does have some downsides! I went out yesterday evening to route plan a trip I will be taking in 2 weeks time and to meet some of the group that I hadn't met before. A request was made for me to take a few tools with me ...... I ended up fitting pannier racks, tank rings and sorting out Sat Nag mounts :smilebig:
I am pretty good at playing dumb at times!

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
So I had my 11 year old son Maverick out in the garage tonight to replace sprockets on Lorna's NC700X DCT. Teaching him to read the manual, figure out the diagrams and find the bolts, loosen the axle nuts and adjusters. Got out my little pneumatic grinder to grind down the rivet on the bad chain. You should have seen the look of surprise when the sparks started to fly! So I did two so he could see it again. Then gave him the grinder and said for him to grind a link rivet down. Who...Me? You want me to do it!?
Couldn't hold a steady speed so I turned the air down and that helped. He was not doing it well at all but I kept on encouraging him and giving him tips. Finally got done...so I told him to do another one just for practice. He did and did better. I got out the chain breaker and had him read the instructions and put it together and coached him through it. So he broke his first chain at 11 years old. Told him I just learned how to do that 3 weeks ago. He was surprised at that. Later driving to his brothers track meet...So Mav, how does it feel to have ground and broken your first chain? He replied...Well, I was kind of scared to do it but it felt good at the same time. Especially when I finished.
That's as far as we got but to me it was a very successful night.

Reactions: PJM and johnnyquick

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Tonight we put the chain and sprockets on. He staked it. All good. Cameleon plus chain oiler on next.

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Update: over 20,000 miles later. Sprockets look new and are quiet. Haven't needed to adjust the chain after the initial adjustment after 200 miles.
Love the Cameleon Plus auto oiler.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts